ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Higher End SOS - Low Weight with High Quality and Output (JTR, Danley, Fulcrum)  (Read 20267 times)

Rich Riotto

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first post.  My apologies as this topic and the solutions I'm considering have been discussed by others in older posts, but many are from long ago.  I've read everything out there 10 times and I'm hoping there may be fresh/updated experiences to share.

We are a small sound production company on the east coast.  In the past year, I've downsized the company to a largely one man show, usually working with the same band (rock and top 40 covers), about 100 gigs each year.  We've gone through small line arrays and lots of different powered point source boxes and subs over the years, frequently turning over gear.  We were an RCF dealer and I've been through most of their boxes.  Our current "A" system, which fits most of the venues for this band is (4) Yahama DXS15XLF - 2 per side, under (1) DZR315 per side.  For smaller everts, weddings, and corporate, I might use some DZR12 that we also have...the DZR12s are not enough for the larger gigs.  The band plays everything from small clubs of 200 people, up to outside events for 2000 people.  The average job is about 400-800 people, inside.  For the largest stuff outside stuff, we usually cross rent, but I'd like to be able to handle 800 people outside with whatever we purchase.  For reference, I'm 50 years old and have been doing sound for 20 years, this company is 10 years old. 

Problems:
- With the current setup, I always need help stacking the boxes...and this is really getting to be a problem.  Aside from the 3 minutes of lifting the boxes up and down each night, a second person just isn't needed, and the finances don't really warrant it.  I'd like to lighten everything up and still get the SPL we need.  I'd like to tops to be MAX of 65 lbs, preferably 55 or less.
- Sound quality is good, but I'd like a little more output from the subs at 40HZ and up.  We cross over at 100 currently.
- DZR315 provides enough output for almost all gigs, but they're not pole mountable and we don't have rigging capability anymore.  Limited to stack which is not ideal in many setups, would like to get the tops up higher and tilted
- Some venues have stairs...stairs suck

We have two Powersoft K3 amps and passive is on the table.

I'd like the most powerful, best sounding, most efficient, , well behaved pattern control, and above all LIGHTEST boxes I can get that will fit the output and quality needs of the current situation.

Current front runners:
Subs: 
(4) JTR Captivator 212Pro (passive) - Love the weight at 67 lbs and the supposed output
To those that have been using them for larger shows, will they cut it?  No EDM, just bands.  I've spoken to one owner (thanks Steve) but I'm looking for other fresh experiences as these boxes are relatively young.

Any other subs recommendations?  There are a ton of great subs out there, but very few that are this low in weight.

Tops:
Fulcrum FA22 (passive)
The active version (FA22AC) has been discontinued.  Our K3 can handle the power and DSP requirements.  I haven't found a single user out there with the passive versions.  No availability for demo either.

JTR Noesis 3TX (see comments above)

Danley SM80

T24N and PM60/90 look great but they are both too heavy to be safe for one person to get up on a pole.  We had the RCF NXL44-A but they were also too heavy and I'd like a little better sound quality...vocal clarity wasn't great.  We also had a NXL24-A and it was a little weak for our application.  For subs, I'd love some TH-118, but the weight is a non-starter.  The Fulcrum FA215 are also heavier than I want to be.

We will use BT-12 tilters and a crank sub pole to get the tops up high and tilted down. 

I know this is a lot of requirements and maybe I'm dreaming to hope for so much.  Any other recommendations, or further insight on these boxes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 02:10:37 PM »

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first post. 

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Rich Riotto

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Sorry...done!

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA

I'd love some TH-118, but the weight is a non-starter.

At 160 lbs the TH118 sounds heavy but is remarkably easy to move, so long as there are no stairs or rough/soft terrain. I easily ramp them in and out of a van singlehandedly. For SOS gigs I often bring just one, which does the job of two or more lesser subs and sounds good doing it. Lying on its side it's pretty unobtrusive. I prefer to take one TH118 over two TH-minis, for example.

--Frank
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:45:37 PM by Frank Koenig »
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

SM80 hands down.

4x TH115/8/xl's to keep up
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.

The Fulcrum FA22AC is the best sounding speaker on a stick I have ever heard.  I would think that the FA22 powered by a Linea Research or Powersoft Amp would sound every bit as good as the discontinued powered version.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Rich Riotto

The Fulcrum FA22AC is the best sounding speaker on a stick I have ever heard.  I would think that the FA22 powered by a Linea Research or Powersoft Amp would sound every bit as good as the discontinued powered version.

Thank you Steve.  From your experience, do you think the FA22AC (90/45) can cover as many people as the SM80?  Again, I'll always run with subs so the low extension of the SM80 is less of an issue.

Fulcrum actually directly supplies the Armonia files for the Powersoft, so its essentially plug and play.

Thanks again!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

Thank you Steve.  From your experience, do you think the FA22AC (90/45) can cover as many people as the SM80?  Again, I'll always run with subs so the low extension of the SM80 is less of an issue.

Fulcrum actually directly supplies the Armonia files for the Powersoft, so its essentially plug and play.

Thanks again!

At what distance?
Quantity of people is less of a concern as area/distance. [pack 'em tight if you wanna cover a ton of people]

DSL has Powersoft presets as well, you'll just have to ask the mothership.
SM80 sacrifices low-end extension for extra SPL compared to FA22. You might inquire about the SM80M if you felt you needed more low-mids/lows while sacrificing phase response but since you said subs...
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Rich Riotto

At what distance?
Quantity of people is less of a concern as area/distance. [pack 'em tight if you wanna cover a ton of people]

DSL has Powersoft presets as well, you'll just have to ask the mothership.
SM80 sacrifices low-end extension for extra SPL compared to FA22. You might inquire about the SM80M if you felt you needed more low-mids/lows while sacrificing phase response but since you said subs...

Point taken, thanks, and good to know about the DSL preset availability.  I want to be sure the tops will cover 95% of the gigs.  Many are in large clubs that hold 800-1000 people (packed in) and summers have quite a few outdoor municipal days and beer fests.  With the subs, the low end extension of the SM80 is not a limitation.  I guess I figured that the FA22 would also pick up a bit of extra SPL if high passed in the 100 range.  Since I can't hear them, I guess I'm asking if their output would be roughly equivalent...

Bradford "BJ" James

I’ve owned FA22AC and currently own some SM80. Both sound great, but I’d have to give the slight edge to the Fulcrum. SM80 gets louder though. We recently did an outdoor show with a McCartney tribute that had over 2000 in attendance with a single SM80/TH118 per side. Not rock concert volume mind you, and we had a delay speaker setup but what an impressive little rig.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.