ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Found a reason to hate the X32!  (Read 3799 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Found a reason to hate the X32!
« on: August 25, 2019, 02:02:55 AM »

Ok, well, hate is obviously a strong word, but it's kind of a funny situation. First time I ran across it and I've been using the X32's since they first came out.

Tonight at a show I was wearing polarized sunglasses, and to my surprise, the scribble strips were completely black!  If i turned my head sideways I could see them, but then the main screen would get dark.

Turns out they polarized their LCDs in different directions, specifically, the scribble strips are wrong.

The same thing happens if you mount a TV sideways and have on polarized sunglasses. You can tell cheap digital signage solutions against professional installations this way.

Anyway, it's surprising to me that this is the first time I've noticed it. I guess I've never had polarized sunglasses on during a show before.  Weird.

I wonder if the M32 has the same problem.  If not, that could be an excuse to 'upgrade' 
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Found a reason to hate the X32!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 03:22:46 AM »

Ok, well, hate is obviously a strong word, but it's kind of a funny situation. First time I ran across it and I've been using the X32's since they first came out.

Tonight at a show I was wearing polarized sunglasses, and to my surprise, the scribble strips were completely black!  If i turned my head sideways I could see them, but then the main screen would get dark.

Turns out they polarized their LCDs in different directions, specifically, the scribble strips are wrong.

The same thing happens if you mount a TV sideways and have on polarized sunglasses. You can tell cheap digital signage solutions against professional installations this way.

Anyway, it's surprising to me that this is the first time I've noticed it. I guess I've never had polarized sunglasses on during a show before.  Weird.

I wonder if the M32 has the same problem.  If not, that could be an excuse to 'upgrade'

My 01v96 doesn't work well with polarized lenses, either.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 03:43:37 AM »

I did a highpressure gig with an LS9 outside a few years back.  Went up to the desk and the screen wasn’t working.  The system owner came over to the mix position and I said unfortunately the screen on the desk had stopped working, it’s fine he said looking at the desk, forgot I had polarised sunglasses.. 😂

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 08:06:20 AM »

My M32 is the same.  Can't say hate, but I've learned to not wear sunglasses!

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 08:27:01 AM »

My M32 is the same.  Can't say hate, but I've learned to not wear sunglasses!

Me:  "Doc, it really hurts when I do this."

Doc:  "Don't do that."

Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »

Once, on vacation, someone asked me to take a picture of them with their dog. I took their Samsung phone and when I turned it horizontal to take the picture, it went completely black. I thought it turned off. It took me a minute to figure out my sunglasses were completely blocking it. I have an old iPhone that looks bad through polarized lenses when vertical but doesn't go completely black when in one direction or the other so I wasn't accustomed to that happening with phones. I do wish screen makers would take this into consideration because I really like polarized sunglasses.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 01:10:50 PM »

Pilots who fly aircraft with "glass cockpits" can't wear polarised sunglasses for precisely this reason.

Cheers,
Tim

An analogue brain in a digital world.

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »

My 01v96 doesn't work well with polarized lenses, either. 
  Now you know what the 'V' stands for. 
Toodleoo! 
Ron Hebbard

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 03:23:14 PM »

Gas pumps these days. It is why my prescription sun glasses are not polarized.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 05:34:32 PM »

Pilots who fly aircraft with "glass cockpits" can't wear polarised sunglasses for precisely this reason.

I gave up on polarized sunglasses decades ago because we live in a world of LCD displays and plastic windows. I never found them all that useful at reducing glare in the first place as the plane of polarization is rarely correct for the condition. Pretty much a gimmick so far as I'm concerned. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 05:34:32 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.