ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: High school football stadium sound help  (Read 5533 times)

Steve Frost

High school football stadium sound help
« on: August 24, 2019, 12:47:58 AM »

Hi I, I have a question regarding sound in s small football stadium setting and looking for some guidance and really have no idea where to ask questions. Came across this site and figured I can ask some professionals as I don’t know where to ask the question locally.

Inherited a sound system that works well enough but we are trying to expand it a bit but very limited. Only sound on home side but trying to expand sound to visitor side. Unable to run wire to visitor side so wondering if there is semi non expensive alternative with wireless. Press box is approximately 350 feet away from where new speakers would be placed. These new speakers would need to be portable as well to be taken down each game.

Any type of direction even if it’s directing me to another topic area would be appreciated.

I apologize for my errors. Trying to do this on my phone without my glasses is very difficult plus I am VERY untech savvy. Just trying to leave things better than the last person.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 02:51:31 AM by Steve Frost »

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: High school football stadium sound help
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 01:04:50 AM »

Before anybody here can help answer your questions, you need to comply with the real name display rule that is shown on the registration page and on each of the forum pages. Thank you.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Justin Quinn

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 08:55:43 AM »

Hi I, I have a question regarding sound in s small football stadium setting and looking for some guidance and really have no idea where to ask questions. Came across this site and figured I can ask some professionals as I don’t know where to ask the question locally.

Inherited a sound system that works well enough but we are trying to expand it a bit but very limited. Only sound on home side but trying to expand sound to visitor side. Unable to run wire to visitor side so wondering if there is semi non expensive alternative with wireless. Press box is approximately 350 feet away from where new speakers would be placed. These new speakers would need to be portable as well to be taken down each game.

Any type of direction even if it’s directing me to another topic area would be appreciated.

I apologize for my errors. Trying to do this on my phone without my glasses is very difficult plus I am VERY untech savvy. Just trying to leave things better than the last person.

Your best bet may be an in-ear monitor system where the transmitter is in the press box and the receiver is feeding the away-side system.  Or, alternatively, a wireless body pack mic at the press box and a wireless mic receiver with a paddle antenna at the away side system, but the in ear monitor solution probably would work better.

I haven't personally used this system to do what you're doing, but others have used a Shure PSM900 in-ear system to do exactly this and got signal 500ft.  https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/in-ear-monitoring/psm900
It may be a bit on the expensive side.

I also have heard of people using Sennheiser In-Ear systems with similar success, they may be a bit less expensive.

If you want a rock-solid solution and have money to burn (which from your post, I don't think that you do), look here: https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/xirium-pro/xirium-pro-us

Unfortunately with wireless you often get what you pay for.  Cheap wireless systems often crap out at the worst times.

I recently asked a similar question on this thread: https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,171717 in which affordable audio streaming over TCP/IP solutions are discussed, but since you mention that you aren't tech savvy these probably won't be what you're looking for nor would it probably be the right solution for you anyways.

MikeHarris

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 11:46:42 AM »

Any network cabling between the two locations ?
Any reason they cannot be mounted permanently ?
Active speakers may appear to be easier...I personally dislike their use where theymay get wet...or require a tech each time used.

scottstephens

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 12:58:35 PM »

Steve,

You came to a great place for advice. I strongly suggest you talk to a sound system provider/dealer.  At the very least they can sit down with you and give you several options/prices and ideas.  I also suggest you ask other schools what they have and who did the work and what they like/dislike about it.  Outdoor speakers can cost lots of money and need to be installed correctly.  Also, if you know of a school that is updating look into getting some of their used items.

Last week, myself and a team of guys that I work with installed a large system in a large stadium using various size speakers for a company called Community. It was not cheap but it sounds amazing and will last them years and years.

Scott

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 02:07:46 PM »

Press box is approximately 350 feet away from where new speakers would be placed.

Bear in mind that, if you place speakers on the other side of the stadium, they would have to be delayed to compensate for the time it takes sound from the existing speakers to reach that zone.  Otherwise, it'd be an echoey, muddy mess.

Would simply increasing the existing system's output resolve the situation or would that blast out those on the near side?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 06:16:39 PM »

Only if both sources can be heard. I don't know the theoretical dB-numbers for this. But if there's an overlap.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 08:41:58 PM »

Ok, so he says he has to use portable speakers as they have to remove them aftward. So, no, he doesn’t need install class speakers. Oh, and he does say no wires to the other side.

Begs the question, is their power available on the visitor side? If not, a 3000 watt inverted generator is likely plenty.

A Sennheiser wireless mic receiver and IEM transmitter from eBay might be affordable. A couple of paddles will make the distance easy. I use this and mount the paddles on top of 12’ speaker stands.

To the original poster (OP), where are you located? Maybe we know someone nearby to talk it over with?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 11:40:31 AM »

What speakers or horns do you have now?

Where are  they mounted, on the press box or scoreboard.
I like the score board when possible for one central point of sound location.

Community R series outdoor speakers work great and available in many variations.

I would be against portable speakers for the visitors side.
- A couple of generic music store speaker on tripods will not cover a bleacher section full of noisy football fans.
- It will rain on those speakers and related equipment.
- What about power and cables running to the speakers and getting tripped over.
- Who is going to set them up for every game?
- Do you also use the field for track events in the spring?

For a little lower cost than full range outdoor speakers yet still effective look at good paging horns.
Do you have light poles to mount them on at the visitors side that are in the area of the bleachers?

Mount the horns on a pole or poles, lower on the pole put up a weather proof box to hold the amp and wireless receiver.

If you can't get the wires from pole to pole on the visitors side put an amp and receiver at each pole, or course you need AC power at those locations.

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 11:01:28 PM »

Steve I did an  installed last year with six community speakers mounted on the home side and no speakers on the visitor side. As you can hear in this video the sound is very intelligible and more than loud enough from the visitor side. Read the description in the video for more details.

https://youtu.be/JOlS11ebrng

Putting speakers on the other side regardless of how you do it it’s going to require delay it would likely cost more. Consider upgrading the speakers and amplification on the Homeside to meet your needs. Just a thought.

ScottH

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 11:01:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.