ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this CRAZY?!  (Read 7959 times)

Kent Clasen

Is this CRAZY?!
« on: August 23, 2019, 06:11:39 PM »

We recently got a Midas Venice 320 trade in from church. They went digital, of course... I have very little money invested in it. We actually installed it 10 years ago. It is great condition. I have started to pull the knobs for a good cleaning.

I decided it would be cool to have an analog rig. Nostalgia? Perhaps.

We had some EQs laying around and I bought a BSS DPR404 quad Comp and KT DN514 quad gate.

We have a TC M1+.

I don’t expect to rent this rig, so for small gigs that don’t have many acts and that we mix. Maybe a few times a year max.

What other bits should be added without too much expense?

Or should I stop now and get treated for GAS?

Kent Clasen

Re: Is this CRAZY?!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 06:13:17 PM »

Pile of analog rack gear

Ken Braziel

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »

Oh man I remember mixing a small festival stage with basically that setup a few years back when the Soundcraft GB was in the shop, I remember bringing up the toms and saying "well there it is, that famous Midas tone"

I can think of nothing wrong with that setup, though now that I'm thoroughly converted to the digital world I'd have to get back to being used to putting the comp on groups instead of having individual comps to play with...

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:37:44 PM »

There's still a place for small, simple analog set ups. If you don't have to invest much to make it all work or you already have the pieces sitting on the shelf, might as well put together a functional system. Maybe you can use it or rent it out a few times a year and make a bit of money from it.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 07:18:36 PM »

Pile of analog rack gear
Plus a heavy analog snake.

While I loved mixing on an analog desk, there are way too many benefits to digital for me ever to want to go back.  Ever.

From a quick look at eBay, and for the kind of work you're talking about, I'd move this on and pick up a UI24R or XR18.  It should more than cover the cost, and you won't need to buy outboard, a snake, and cases - plus your rig becomes tiny.  Just perfect for infrequent small gigs with few bands.

I did a ten band town square show last week with my XR18 - a piece of cake!  The thought of doing that with an analog setup would be hideous.  Without any means of covering a snake, I'd have been mixing stageside all day - yuck!

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »

The biggest issue for me with having a analog rig that only gets used occasionally is the gremlins that pop up.  Analog stuff likes to gets used.  If it sits, is likely have scratchy faders, sticky pots, and other gremlins when you pop the cases open.  I worry about such things less with a tablet type mixer that rarely gets used.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 08:31:44 PM »

We recently got a Midas Venice 320 trade in from church. They went digital, of course... I have very little money invested in it. We actually installed it 10 years ago. It is great condition. I have started to pull the knobs for a good cleaning.

I decided it would be cool to have an analog rig. Nostalgia? Perhaps.

We had some EQs laying around and I bought a BSS DPR404 quad Comp and KT DN514 quad gate.

We have a TC M1+.

I don’t expect to rent this rig, so for small gigs that don’t have many acts and that we mix. Maybe a few times a year max.

What other bits should be added without too much expense?

Or should I stop now and get treated for GAS?

I'd get a tiny digital console for work, and put the analog gear in a nice, air-conditioned basement.  A happy retirement of sorts.  Maybe mix the various home theater feeds from time to time, or mix down a pre-tracked show to 'tape' (HDD).   

I almost did that with an A&H ML5k. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 01:58:05 AM »

Wasn't the small fader Venice series (this mixer) actually a Dynacord design, so no actual Midas heritage in it.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 04:00:55 AM »

I wouldn’t be too surprised if in a couple of years we come back to analog again. Has Dave Rat converted into digital desks yet?

Today’s kids can probably not navigate a proper analog desk and outboards so we old geeks will be in high demand and roll in money from those hi-end gigs ;-)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:32 AM »

I wouldn’t be too surprised if in a couple of years we come back to analog again. Has Dave Rat converted into digital desks yet?

Today’s kids can probably not navigate a proper analog desk and outboards so we old geeks will be in high demand and roll in money from those hi-end gigs ;-)

I've mentioned before that a few years back (okay, almost a decade) we were tapped out for consoles and we *almost* brought out the PM4K and outboard rack to a gig.  The headline BE said "well, I'd have been okay because we had an analog console at school but I've never mixed a SHOW on one."

I've gone full circle - teaching Mixerpersons who've never used a digital mixer to now encountering folks who've never touched analog.  Whether or not analog skills will return to demand status is unclear (and unlikely), but there are still a few analog setups out there.  A couple days ago I was a truck loader for the Chris Stapleton tour stop here and both FOH and mons were on Midas XL4s.  With good casters they're the same a digital, although they take up a full row in the trailer. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:32 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 24 queries.