ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange power situation  (Read 9382 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Strange power situation
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 06:28:42 PM »

If recently installed, perhaps one half of the duplex was a switched or dimmable one? The duplexes on my driveway lights are split for utility power on the bottom and Christmas lights on the top half?

Don't understand how I would get 176 volt reading, though.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 06:48:02 AM »

I reported it to the events person and was told they would notify engineering. Was informed that "several"people had used the outlets with no issue.

I get really tired of these kinds of defensive answers.
Seems to me that's what they said about the shuttle rockets O rings... :o
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 11:28:07 AM »

I get really tired of these kinds of defensive answers.
Seems to me that's what they said about the shuttle rockets O rings... :o

Several Morton Thiokol engineers tried to stop the Challenger launch, to no avail as they were overruled by corporate suits who were afraid of loosing the NASA contract.  Roger Boisjoly was one of those Thiokol engineers and the Challenger explosion haunted him for the rest of his life.

Hotels are on my hit list of clueless goatfuckers who take liberties with public safety but are almost impossible to get inspected by the AHJ unless there is a death.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 11:53:55 AM »

Several Morton Thiokol engineers tried to stop the Challenger launch, to no avail as they were overruled by corporate suits who were afraid of loosing the NASA contract.  Roger Boisjoly was one of those Thiokol engineers and the Challenger explosion haunted him for the rest of his life.
While history proved him (them) correct in their concerns it was not obvious at the time, or else the launch would have been scuttled. As I recall the O-ring failure was pinned on multiple subtle issues combined, including weather (low temperatures), while LOX is pretty damn cold all by itself.
Hotels are on my hit list of clueless goatfuckers who take liberties with public safety but are almost impossible to get inspected by the AHJ unless there is a death.
That list is very long...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 12:14:56 PM »

While history proved him (them) correct in their concerns it was not obvious at the time, or else the launch would have been scuttled. As I recall the O-ring failure was pinned on multiple subtle issues combined, including weather (low temperatures), while LOX is pretty damn cold all by itself. That list is very long...

JR

Roger and the others had the numbers to support their claims and to them it was a very binary choice - launch and die, or scrub the launch, live, and have corporate deal with the NASA fall out.

As for the long list, you've seen mine?  It's long for a reason.  I'm sure you've accumulated one after nearly 50 years in the industry...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 01:20:37 PM »

Roger and the others had the numbers to support their claims and to them it was a very binary choice - launch and die, or scrub the launch, live, and have corporate deal with the NASA fall out.
They can be very confident in hind sight.

If they could prove that tragic outcome on paper they apparently were unable to communicate that to their bosses. Even the worst scumbag boss would not intentionally send a shuttle up to explode.

More likely there was a "chance" of O-ring failure (there is always a chance of O-ring failure) and their bosses made a bad judgement call.   

This was a tragedy, and obviously wrong decisions were made in hindsight, but I am inclined to dismiss the typical hyperbolic extrapolations. They had a request for more funding to study the o-ring issue, denied.

It is no coincidence the President Regan was scheduled to deliver his state of the union address that night, so waiting for warmer weather was not embraced. Sadly in any large enough organization there will be high level decision makers who do not understand the technology they preside over.

I have refused to do something a VP once told me to do because it wasn't right (in my judgement). If it was so certain to happen perhaps they should have done more than write a memo.   
As for the long list, you've seen mine?  It's long for a reason.  I'm sure you've accumulated one after nearly 50 years in the industry...

Actually I sleep pretty good at night and have released many personal peeves.

JR

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 03:18:21 PM »

Don't understand how I would get 176 volt reading, though.

Typically, when you see a high voltage reading, you've got a problem with a neutral connection.  If there are exactly equal loads on both branches of the circuit, the neutral connection doesn't have to be tied at the box. However, if the load gets mismatched, voltage will sag on one side and rise on the other.  That's how stuff burns up!
Brian Jojade

Scott Helmke

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 09:33:40 AM »

Maybe it's time to build a test plug that explodes dramatically when connected to miswired outlets.  Bonus points for having it spray soot all around the bad outlet as a warning to others.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 10:02:00 AM »

Maybe it's time to build a test plug that explodes dramatically when connected to miswired outlets.  Bonus points for having it spray soot all around the bad outlet as a warning to others.
I invested some time into a smart power strip for backline muso's that would just not connect power if outlet was mis-wired (dangerously). It would even disconnect if it sensed current leakage from say a hot mic.   

We all know that musicians would just plug in around the safety device denying them power. The show must go on... ::)

JR

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 10:33:09 PM »

I remember a small show last year in a hotel ballroom, and they supplied a 4-circuit distro. 2 of the duplex outlets were fine, but 2 had 208 across H-N. I don't know why someone would wire it that way (although I can think of how they'd do it), but I told them it could kill somebody. They brought me another, which was fine, and said they tagged the bad one for their electrician to look at. Who knows if they ever fixed it though.

Always check your power before you plug in!
A guy on a job wired up a new 75kva 120/208 3 phase transformer. A guy checking new outlets was getting 196 volts between hot and neutral. I pulled the transformer cover and neither the cold water ground or the ground rod was connected to the XO lug. I connected them and everything was alright alright. An electrician has got to connect with the XO. Has anyone seen the XO ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 10:33:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.