ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange power situation  (Read 9392 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Strange power situation
« on: August 22, 2019, 02:21:19 AM »

Today I advanced a show at a hotel. They had outdoor power that was recently installed. I plugged my trusty CT70 into the bottom of a duplex receptacle and got a flashing H-N indicating swapped hot and neutral. Also, got a voltage reading of 176.x VAC. Strange. Had some voltage from H-G. When I switched to Vd test the 176.x voltage read 118VAC.

I then plugged into the top outlet on the receptacle and got the H-N swap but with voltage reading 122VAC. Stranger.

Went to another duplex that's supposedly on the same circuit and got 12oVAC with reversed H-N.

I reported it to the events person and was told they would notify engineering. Was informed that "several"people had used the outlets with no issue.

Any ideas for the spurious voltage reading on half of a duplex?

I have a show there at the end of the September.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Strange power situation
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 08:02:45 AM »

Today I advanced a show at a hotel. They had outdoor power that was recently installed. I plugged my trusty CT70 into the bottom of a duplex receptacle and got a flashing H-N indicating swapped hot and neutral. Also, got a voltage reading of 176.x VAC. Strange. Had some voltage from H-G. When I switched to Vd test the 176.x voltage read 118VAC.

I then plugged into the top outlet on the receptacle and got the H-N swap but with voltage reading 122VAC. Stranger.

Went to another duplex that's supposedly on the same circuit and got 12oVAC with reversed H-N.

I reported it to the events person and was told they would notify engineering. Was informed that "several"people had used the outlets with no issue.

We've found enough of that stuff that we have the client order (and pay for) 200 amp 3 phase 120/208v service.  We bring our own distro and cable package.

I don't care what's wrong with the hotel stuff, I won't use it.

This after finding a 120v 20 amp outlet in a ball room that was wired for 240v for a floor polisher or food service equipment.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »

I found something like that with at a festival in a church parking lot.
"It was fine last week"..
I put in my feeder and distro "Why are you not using our plugs?"
Midway through the show, the Priest comes up to FOH and says how amazing it sounds. "Last week, a guitar broke, and some of the big speakers weren't working."
Riiight. But it "worked" last week.......
I contacted "last weeks" soundco, and they lost a Fender tweed, 2 crowns, and 1 PSU for their PM-3K.

I still don't understand why folks are not metering before plugging in.
I had one hotel "electrician" freak out when I whipped out my Fluke before connecting his tails to my distro.
Ever seen 110 on the Green? Ya. Me neither.
The price of a Rat Shack meter, and the skills to use it. What does that really cost? Is a board, power amp, vintage guitar amp, or an entire rig NOT worth that investment?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 09:22:12 AM »

We've found enough of that stuff that we have the client order (and pay for) 200 amp 3 phase 120/208v service.  We bring our own distro and cable package.

I don't care what's wrong with the hotel stuff, I won't use it.

This after finding a 120v 20 amp outlet in a ball room that was wired for 240v for a floor polisher or food service equipment.

Rhetorical question: How does that happen?

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 09:46:43 AM »

I remember a small show last year in a hotel ballroom, and they supplied a 4-circuit distro. 2 of the duplex outlets were fine, but 2 had 208 across H-N. I don't know why someone would wire it that way (although I can think of how they'd do it), but I told them it could kill somebody. They brought me another, which was fine, and said they tagged the bad one for their electrician to look at. Who knows if they ever fixed it though.

Always check your power before you plug in!
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »

Rhetorical question: How does that happen?

Stupidity.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »

Stupidity.
Rhetorical means you don't have to answer....  ;D

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »

Stupidity.

As my friend was fond of saying, "Stupidity is its own reward".

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 01:46:45 PM »

Rhetorical means you don't have to answer....  ;D

JR

Yeah, but my Asperger's and OCD make me do it.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »

If recently installed, perhaps one half of the duplex was a switched or dimmable one? The duplexes on my driveway lights are split for utility power on the bottom and Christmas lights on the top half?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.