ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch from router to WAP ?  (Read 28811 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Switch from router to WAP ?
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2019, 02:05:02 AM »

The Unfifi line is SDN.   :(

No,  they called the control software SDN,  that hardly makes it an SDN.

Going to treat you like you treated my friends. You are out of your little network academy CCNA realm here.  Ubiquity does not have a basic forwarding plane,  it's all simple stateful forwarding amd routing centrally managed.  Second there is no orchestration support the second building block of a functional SDN.

Look at Juniper Appformix and their entire portfolio of OSS tools. That's an SDN..

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2019, 08:20:41 PM »

As an update:
In the 4 months I have been using the Ubiquiti mesh, I have had a total of ZERO drop outs in about 15 shows in the busiest of venues. I thought the Airport Express was good but this is AMAZING! It was a good move for me and wanted to share in the event someone else might want to move in the same direction.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2019, 08:40:37 PM »

Yep.  There's a lot to be said for commercial-grade equipment.  Once you get it configured and working you'll be swearing by it, rather than at it. :D

Glad it's 100% for you!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2019, 01:19:00 AM »

Inspired by your thread I made the same move at about the same time and have had the same experience. It just works.
I concur with Tim’s caveat as well.
..db

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »

OK, I'm officially lost.  I know enough about networking to hook up a home router and that's it.  I have a M32R board and currently use a Apple Express now for wireless.  Last summer and this next summer, I have a few outdoor shows in crowded downtown areas and the Apple has had problems in these places.  I need to upgrade my wireless setup. 

I have tried to read these 14 pages, but really can't get a grasp on what the recommendations are for my type of application.  Not a business, just a band that plays out.  Can someone give me a shopping list of what I need to buy for smaller outdoor festivals?  It sounds like Ubiquiti stuff is what people recommend.  I just need to know what models, switches......I should get.  From there, I'll try and figure out how to setup or I'll get some expertise in my area.  I appreciate the synopsis of the last 14 pages!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:36:11 AM by Mark Norgren »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »

As an update:
In the 4 months I have been using the Ubiquiti mesh, I have had a total of ZERO drop outs in about 15 shows in the busiest of venues. I thought the Airport Express was good but this is AMAZING! It was a good move for me and wanted to share in the event someone else might want to move in the same direction.

One more thing - the distance. I made the switch mainly for this reason because the AE was stable IF I didn't get more than about 50 - 60ft from the stage.
I can now get out 5 times that distance with no drop outs. I place  the WAP up high keeping good line of sight and it works.
So, not only has the 'U' been stable in busy wi-fi traffic areas, it has allowed me much more freedom to roam the venue and stay connected.
Also the guys in the band have commented on their positive experience using tablet/phone control of their mixes.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »

OK, I'm officially lost.  I know enough about networking to hook up a home router and that's it.  I have a M32R board and currently use a Apple Express now for wireless.  Last summer and this next summer, I have a few outdoor shows in crowded downtown areas and the Apple has had problems in these places.  I need to upgrade my wireless setup. 

I have tried to read these 14 pages, but really can't get a grasp on what the recommendations are for my type of application.  Not a business, just a band that plays out.  Can someone give me a shopping list of what I need to buy for smaller outdoor festivals?  It sounds like Ubiquiti stuff is what people recommend.  I just need to know what models, switches......I should get.  From there, I'll try and figure out how to setup or I'll get some expertise in my area.  I appreciate the synopsis of the last 14 pages!

What Debbie (and others) put into use was this Access Point: Ubiquiti Mesh
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-M-US-Unifi-Access-Point/dp/B01N9FIELY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=upiquit+mesh&qid=1577809578&sr=8-1-spell
Any half-decent ethernet switch will work such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=gigabit+switch&qid=1577809712&sr=8-4

You'll have to configure the Access Point.  Honestly, that is a bit of a PITA, especially if one has never worked with Ubiquiti stuff before.  Fortunately, it is a one-time hassle.  The additional range and reliability is worth the effort, as Debbie and others will attest (and so have already done).  The Ubiquiti gets its power as Power over Ethernet (POE).  The POE adapter is included in the package.

Debbie's was set up to get a DHCP address from her Apple Airport. 
She used a unique SSID, different than that of her Airport. 
It is easy to leave the switch and router close to the mixer, and run an ethernet line to the AP and strap the AP on to a speaker stand, or the like.

Connection is Apple Airport --> Switch --> POE Adapter --> Ubiquiti Mesh
                                                       |-----> Mixer
                                                       |-----> Lighting TCP/IP to DMX Controller

frank
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 11:50:48 AM by frank kayser »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2019, 11:42:17 AM »

What Debbie (and others) put into use was this Access Point: Ubiquiti Mesh
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-M-US-Unifi-Access-Point/dp/B01N9FIELY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=upiquit+mesh&qid=1577809578&sr=8-1-spell
Any half-decent ethernet switch will work such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=gigabit+switch&qid=1577809712&sr=8-4

You'll have to configure the Access Point.  Honestly, that is a bit of a PITA, especially if one has never worked with Ubiquiti stuff before.  Fortunately, it is a one-time hassle.  The additional range and reliability is worth the effort, as Debbie and others will attest (and have already done so)

Debbie's was set up to get a DHCP address from her Apple Airport. 
She used a unique SSID, different than that of her Airport. 

Connection is Apple Airport --> Switch --> POE Adapter --> Ubiquiti Mesh
                                                       |-----> Mixer
                                                       |-----> Lighting TCP/IP to DMX Controller

frank

And Frank generously spent some time helping me set mine up - thanks Frank!!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2019, 11:53:08 AM »

And Frank generously spent some time helping me set mine up - thanks Frank!!
A pleasure, I assure you! 

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2019, 12:50:35 PM »

Don't confuse one time hassle with one hour or even one day hassle with the Ubiqiuiti gear.  If your prior experience is with plug & play consumer devices configuring anything Ubiquiti requires a fair amount of time, research and above all attention to firmware levels. Add to that Ubiquiti tech support is pretty useless as well. After that it does work substantially better than any Apple or Netgear consumer wifi router I've had occasion to use.

You'll have to configure the Access Point.  Honestly, that is a bit of a PITA, especially if one has never worked with Ubiquiti stuff before.  Fortunately, it is a one-time hassle.  The additional range and reliability is worth the effort, as Debbie and others will attest (and so have already done).  The Ubiquiti gets its power as Power over Ethernet (POE).  The POE adapter is included in the package.

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2019, 12:50:35 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 23 queries.