ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch from router to WAP ?  (Read 28813 times)

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: Switch from router to WAP ?
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »

Well you're ahead of me Debbie.  I've just spent a couple of hours working on the newly arrived Mesh access point paired with a Ubiquity Edge Router and I've only just connected the computer to the router and gotten a browser page to open the controller page for the access point but all via hardwired ethernet.  None of the computers see the wifi signal. Definitely not plug n play and the documentation is aimed at a much higher IT skill level than mine.  It's going to be a grind.

I've never set up a Mesh access point, the only Ubiquiti stuff I've worked with were the dish-type point-to-point radios. I agree, they're not super easy to set up. I have a fair amount of networking experience, and they're definitely a challenge. I can certainly sympathize with you!
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2019, 11:15:51 PM »

I had my mesh out this Saturday. Up 13’ on a tall speaker stand. Reliable mixer control several hundred feet out.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2019, 03:34:13 AM »

...especially since they don't make a 5GHz Bullet anymore...

Hi Brian,

I’ve got 3 5GHz Bullets, two have never been taken out of their boxes. PM me if interested.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »

Hi Brian,

I’ve got 3 5GHz Bullets, two have never been taken out of their boxes. PM me if interested.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Thanks Bob, I am interested, but I'm a little hesitant since these are essentially unsupported now and will probably be even harder to find in the future.

I love the form factor though. I'll send you a PM.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Nick Falbo

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »

The Ubiquiti Unifi line and all the Unifi AP's are all pretty idiot proof to setup and is what I recommend for anyone who doesn't have an IT job. Much better performance than any wireless router you can buy, better quality, and is not limited to 1 subnet. I would never run a show anywhere using an off the shelf consumer network system like apple or Belkin, never mind the fact that the apple gear is discontinued and hasn't been supported for quite a while.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »

The Ubiquiti Unifi line and all the Unifi AP's are all pretty idiot proof to setup and is what I recommend for anyone who doesn't have an IT job. Much better performance than any wireless router you can buy, better quality, and is not limited to 1 subnet. I would never run a show anywhere using an off the shelf consumer network system like apple or Belkin, never mind the fact that the apple gear is discontinued and hasn't been supported for quite a while.

I've probably run 200 shows successfully using the Apple Airport Express since I got it and almost as many practice sessions ( great for personal iem control) and it has been amazing - surprisingly so. I actually have 3 total - 1 was new and the other 2 were refurbished from Apple.
With that said, the extra distance I can get using the Ubiquiti was what I had hoped for and  has made the investment well worth it for me.
"Idiot proof" to set up? - mmm - not sure about that....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »

Right up to when they aren't.  Brand new Unify UAP fails to be adaptable despite being seen by the router and Ubiquity support has no clue.

The Ubiquiti Unifi line and all the Unifi AP's are all pretty idiot proof to setup and is what I recommend for anyone who doesn't have an IT job.   

Nick Falbo

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2019, 09:15:55 PM »

What version is the unifi controller on the cloudkey? Did you update it to the newest version?
Right up to when they aren't.  Brand new Unify UAP fails to be adaptable despite being seen by the router and Ubiquity support has no clue.

Nick Falbo

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2019, 09:22:33 PM »

"Idiot proof" to set up? - mmm - not sure about that....

If you are having issues you probably shouldn't be doing networking yourself and should hire a professional. One of my clients who hired me to install a Unifi system in his business who has no IT background loved the system so much and saw how easy it was to program and manage, he bought and installed a unifi system in his house by himself, and had no problems. Most of the time i find that people who are having problems either have faulty hardware, or should should not be touching networking hardware.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2019, 10:16:13 PM »

If you are having issues you probably shouldn't be doing networking yourself and should hire a professional. One of my clients who hired me to install a Unifi system in his business who has no IT background loved the system so much and saw how easy it was to program and manage, he bought and installed a unifi system in his house by himself, and had no problems. Most of the time i find that people who are having problems either have faulty hardware, or should should not be touching networking hardware.

I am NOT having issues and my hardware is working perfectly - thanks anyway.
Each time I have had questions regarding any subject relating to sound reinforcement since I joined this forum,  I have asked for and generously been offered help from these good folks and this last endeavor was no exception. 
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2019, 10:16:13 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.