ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch from router to WAP ?  (Read 29077 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Switch from router to WAP ?
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2019, 04:05:53 PM »

I have everything neatly stored in a 4 u rack - it holds a power conditioner to allow everything to stay permanently plugged in, an Airport Express, the Ubiquiti POE, a rack mount DMX splitter, rack mount ethernet switch and Enttec art net dongle.
I made a purpose built boom that attaches to the rack for my Ubiquiti mesh - folds down to 19".
Nice.  I have a very similar setup in a 6U SKB rack (different components) with a specially designed mounting bracket (that does not impede the rear lid) to hold a four-section, 48”, telescoping selfie-stick I bought off of Amazon. The stick collapses down to 17” which is short enough to go inside the rack case for storage. The AP ends up being right at 7’ off the floor with my usual setup. I have cable to go higher if needed but 7’ added to the stage height has so far been sufficient.
..db

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2019, 04:18:11 PM »

Sort of correct. If you purchase the EdgeRouterX SFP (slightly more expensive than the "plain" EdgeRouterX), you'll have the ability to power your Ubiquity AP via the network cable, and without the need for a "POE" adapter.
Agreed and since the power supply is sufficient (24V, 2.5amp) and each of the five ports can be configured to provide POE you can add additional APs in the future if needed.

The Ubiquiti AP comes with its own POE adapter, which is about the size of a sticky note pad, cut in half. It has a NEMA 5-15p cord/plug coming out of one end, and two network jacks on the other. You run one network cable to the AP, and one to the EdgeRouterX. One network cable carries power to the AP, the other carries signal between the EdgeRouterX and the AP.

True but with the EdgerouterX SFP you won’t need to use the POE injector/adapter that comes with the AP as the Edgerouter can supply that power itself.

For $40, it's probably worth it to get the EdgeRouterX SFP. Cleans-up the amount of wiring and adapters, and keeps everything even more compact.
+1
..db

Steve Garris

« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2019, 01:56:46 PM »

Yes.  Note, however, that since you’ll have DHCP available for all connections you don’t necessarily need to use static address for your iPad/laptop.  Some might advise to do so but I just let DHCP handle all connections and I’ve never had issues.  I’m pretty sure my cables are just cat5 which I’ve never had issues with either.
Yea the HDMI backup would likely be redundant given you also have a wired option but peace of mind counts for a lot ;).

Excellent - I didn't want to have the static IP to begin with.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2019, 07:58:46 PM »

I got to use the new WAP at an outdoor show yesterday.
It was AMAZING!!.....I walked about 200ft from the stage and had zero drop out. FOH was positioned about 100ft away. However, I did notice that the iPad battery drained more quickly as it always does the farther away I am from the WAP, and I had to utilize my battery pack much earlier than usual.
If that is the only down side to using the Ubiquiti then I am not complaining..... Thanks again everyone.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2019, 10:21:22 PM »

I got to use the new WAP at an outdoor show yesterday.
It was AMAZING!!.....I walked about 200ft from the stage and had zero drop out. FOH was positioned about 100ft away. However, I did notice that the iPad battery drained more quickly as it always does the farther away I am from the WAP, and I had to utilize my battery pack much earlier than usual.
If that is the only down side to using the Ubiquiti then I am not complaining..... Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for the update Debbie. How many people were at the show? Would you recommend this unit? I'm very interested in changing from my Airport Express to the Ubiquiti Mesh, especially since they don't make a 5GHz Bullet anymore. I often have issues in large venues with lots of people, so I'm hoping this would solve my problem once and for all.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2019, 10:27:41 PM »

Thanks for the update Debbie. How many people were at the show? Would you recommend this unit? I'm very interested in changing from my Airport Express to the Ubiquiti Mesh, especially since they don't make a 5GHz Bullet anymore. I often have issues in large venues with lots of people, so I'm hoping this would solve my problem once and for all.

There were maybe 200 people - the turn out was lower than usual but this particular location is one that can bring problems for me with high wi-fi traffic. I only had the WAP up about 8-9 feet but it didn't skip a beat.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2019, 11:07:23 PM »

There were maybe 200 people - the turn out was lower than usual but this particular location is one that can bring problems for me with high wi-fi traffic. I only had the WAP up about 8-9 feet but it didn't skip a beat.

Thanks Debbie, I think I'll get one or two of them on the way and see how they do. Thanks for being a beta tester for me!
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:06 AM »

Thanks Debbie, I think I'll get one or two of them on the way and see how they do. Thanks for being a beta tester for me!

U R welcome!

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »

Well you're ahead of me Debbie.  I've just spent a couple of hours working on the newly arrived Mesh access point paired with a Ubiquity Edge Router and I've only just connected the computer to the router and gotten a browser page to open the controller page for the access point but all via hardwired ethernet.  None of the computers see the wifi signal. Definitely not plug n play and the documentation is aimed at a much higher IT skill level than mine.  It's going to be a grind.

So I finally worked out how to get into the controller. It looks like I have been able to set it up for 2.4gHz but cannot find a way to set it up for 5gHz. Also when my iPad scans it finds 2 networks- the one is the name I gave the new network and the other is that name plus '.lot' at the end.
I am unable to connect with my mixer right now but I assume that is because I assigned an IP address to it years ago. I thought leaving the Ubiquiti in DHCP mode would still work though...... continuing to get it all sorted ..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:16:51 PM by Riley Casey »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »

Well you're ahead of me Debbie.  I've just spent a couple of hours working on the newly arrived Mesh access point paired with a Ubiquity and I've only just connected the computer to the router and gotten a browser page to open the controller page for the access point but all via hardwired ethernet.  None of he computers see the wifi signal. Definitely not plug n play and the documentation is aimed at a much higher IT skill level than mine.  It's going to be a grind.

Oh I agree these are definitely NOT plug and play - yet they advertise as such.  I had help from Frank Kayser to get me up and running....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.