ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch from router to WAP ?  (Read 29164 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Switch from router to WAP ?
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »

Debbie, I'm still a little lost on this. Are you using the Ubiquity mesh along with your AE? I'm looking for a stand-alone device that does not require a switch or anything else. I sent you a PM BTW.

Hey Steve I don't see a PM.
I chose to use the Ubiquity AP as an extender so I wouldn't have to always assign a static address to everything plugged into my switch. I carry one of my AE's in a rack attached to the shelf so to keep it there always connected to the switch isn't an extra step for me at all.
Maybe in the future I will set up the Ubiquity as a stand alone WAP but not right now.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2019, 07:58:48 PM »

Hey Steve I don't see a PM.
I chose to use the Ubiquity AP as an extender so I wouldn't have to always assign a static address to everything plugged into my switch. I carry one of my AE's in a rack attached to the shelf so to keep it there always connected to the switch isn't an extra step for me at all.
Maybe in the future I will set up the Ubiquity as a stand alone WAP but not right now.

Debbie, what do you mean by “extender”?

FYI, when you have multiple Unify APs, they work together to hand the portable device from AP to AP.

I have an ssid for my router/AP and a separate one for the mesh unit. For a small gig, I connect to the router/AP and don’t bring the mesh. For outdoor gigs, I add the mesh AP and connect to that. With separate ssids I know which AP I am using.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2019, 08:04:32 PM »

Debbie, what do you mean by “extender”?

FYI, when you have multiple Unify APs, they work together to hand the portable device from AP to AP.

I have an ssid for my router/AP and a separate one for the mesh unit. For a small gig, I connect to the router/AP and don’t bring the mesh. For outdoor gigs, I add the mesh AP and connect to that. With separate ssids I know which AP I am using.
I have a separate network ID for the Ubiquiti and I can connect to one or the other.  I am using the Ubiquiti to get better range at outdoor shows. This past weekend was just to make sure everything worked together. At a larger show I'll be able to test the range.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2019, 08:51:04 PM »

I have a separate network ID for the Ubiquiti and I can connect to one or the other.  I am using the Ubiquiti to get better range at outdoor shows. This past weekend was just to make sure everything worked together. At a larger show I'll be able to test the range.

Just so I'm clear, you purchased this unit, and it will work stand alone as a wireless AP, correct?:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1296855-REG/ubiquiti_networks_uap_ac_m_us_unifi_ac_mesh.html

In addition, I plan on using a laptop via the Ethernet port on my mixer for a hard-wired option. I'm reading that this unit has DHCP? Will I be able to do this without a switch?
I've been seeing this unit recommended on the Soundcraft Ui24 FB page.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2019, 09:20:40 PM »

Just so I'm clear, you purchased this unit, and it will work stand alone as a wireless AP, correct?:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1296855-REG/ubiquiti_networks_uap_ac_m_us_unifi_ac_mesh.html

In addition, I plan on using a laptop via the Ethernet port on my mixer for a hard-wired option. I'm reading that this unit has DHCP? Will I be able to do this without a switch?

It will work as stand alone. My comfort level is using it this way for now and maybe losing the AE at some point. I use the switch because I have lights running through the same WAP so I have my art net dongle connected too. If you do not need the extra ports then no need for a switch.
Yes it has DCHP but I have a mixture of assigned addresses and DCHP and I need to do some more assigning of my devices to be able to use and set up the Ubiquiti as a stand alone WAP.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:24:11 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »

And for formal...

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2019, 10:44:24 AM »

And for formal...

Gotta love the formal.   ;)

As a note to all - I would recommend not painting an AP to be used outdoors  black - it would absorb much more solar energy and could cause the electronics to run hotter than normal, or actually cause the plastic case to warp.

frank

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »

I have several of the Ubiquiti UniFi AC Mesh Pro ("AC-M-Pro") access points - I finally got them all working on the same SSID, talking through the same EdgeRouter X.

You *can* get the AC-M-Pro to act as a standalone wireless access point without using a router, DHCP server, or network controller, but... it's not super intuitive to set-up.

In a nutshell, you have to:

- Connect the AC-M-Pro to a working DHCP server
- Run the UniFi controller software and configure a new wireless network
- Adopt the AC-M-Pro into the new network
- Assign it a static IP address
- Uncheck the box for "wireless uplink and wireless monitor"
- All other devices that will access your AC-M-Pro must have static IPs
- You can connect the now "independent" AC-M-Pro to an unmanaged switch as well

Personally, I wouldn't go this route. Not when the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X is so small, reliable, and inexpensive.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2019, 10:48:46 AM »

And for formal...
You’re on to something here Debbie!  I can’t wait for Halloween!  Christmas?  The beach next summer;D?
..db

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »

Hi Steve,
Yes, the AP can be run without a router or without a  DHCP server, or neither router or DHCP server.  Those were among the options I proposed to Debbie.  In her case, the comfort level of being able to use the switch ports without assigning an IP address prior to plugging in that device met that requirement, so the Apple router was kept in the loop to keep a DHCP server on the network.  As a byproduct, she has a running backup 5ghz SSID to connect to - the Mesh AP and the Airport - separate SSIDs.  We could have set it up with both 5ghz networks using the same SSID, or even put both 2.4ghz also with the same SSID and the device, in this case the iPad, figure out and connect to the strongest signal.

PM me if you want to chat offline.

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.