ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch from router to WAP ?  (Read 28794 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Switch from router to WAP ?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »

Do you use a hidden SSID? Not only is it more secure but it keeps the roomful of phones from trying to connect to your AP.

5ghz is less congested but has shorter range and is affected more by obstructions. I use a hidden SSID at 2.4 ghz.

I have used a hidden network from day 1 but 2.4g still doesn't work well. 5g works great so I stick with it. If I switch to 2.4g, I get nothing but disconnects.

As we are driving up to VA tomorrow for a show at the lake, I won't get time to go shopping so I just pulled the trigger on the Ubiquiti mesh from Amazon - delivery saturday. Free return shipping is offered on this item so I get the chance to play around with it to make sure I can get it to work with my set up without risk.
I'll report back....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »

I'm jumping on this bandwagon.

(2) X32 Racks and a wired laptop plus up to 8 wireless devices.

I'm looking at the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X and Unifi AC Mesh.

That will fill the available router jacks, but I can add a switch later if the need arises.

Does anyone see any issues with this setup?

Thanks,
David

James Paul

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2019, 08:36:40 PM »

Much info and experience to chew on.
IMO, i suggest to consider adding a Ubiquiti AC AP LR to your AE. Setup the AP from the iPad Ubiquiti App. Have no fear, I have faith you and your mate can handle setup.
The Ubiquiti Long Range AP is better suited compared to the other Unifi models for yours and the majority of the lot of end users found on this thread/ forum, due to the symmetrical long range antenna, which provides better reception from handheld devices.
Be aware that this model is part of the Unifi lineup, and is capable of integrating into a mesh system, but for yours needs this is not only unnecessary, but unadvised if only for simplicity reasons alone.
Furthermore I would avoid repeaters as there is a tax on speed, and devices attempting connection between radios when moving between antennas. 
IME, my Ubiquiti AC Pro LR, with Edgerouter X combo, has proven to be a reliable, compact, powerful RF & software configurable setup. Well worth the money. Velco/ gaff tape the AP to top or bottom of a SOS, connected with a POE cat5e STP, makes for an easy gig deployment.
Note: FWIW, I remember moderator Tim M. posting as having a similar Ubiquiti combo for home use.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2019, 01:24:31 AM »

I have used a hidden network from day 1 but 2.4g still doesn't work well. 5g works great so I stick with it. If I switch to 2.4g, I get nothing but disconnects.

As we are driving up to VA tomorrow for a show at the lake, I won't get time to go shopping so I just pulled the trigger on the Ubiquiti mesh from Amazon - delivery saturday. Free return shipping is offered on this item so I get the chance to play around with it to make sure I can get it to work with my set up without risk.
I'll report back....

I don't know much (really anything) about the mesh.  The Unifi is the model I am most familiar with.  Keep in mind you won't get better range from one unit to another.  Maybe some really inexpensive router/AP have very deficient radios but certainly the AE and the UniFi have equally performant RF sections.  5Ghz is line of site.  If you can't see it, it is not reliable.  More talk power doesn't help, and can often hurt as you still have to talk back to the unit.   Keeping it high is the most important thing you can do, then hiding SSID. 

You can use the AE to provide DHCP services if you need to auto assign IP's.  It's as cheap an option as anything.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 03:45:16 AM »

Keeping it high is the most important thing you can do, then hiding SSID. 
Scott, does hiding the SSID reduce the number of probe requests the unit has to respond to?
..db

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2019, 11:32:29 AM »

I don't know much (really anything) about the mesh.  The Unifi is the model I am most familiar with.  Keep in mind you won't get better range from one unit to another.  Maybe some really inexpensive router/AP have very deficient radios but certainly the AE and the UniFi have equally performant RF sections.  5Ghz is line of site.  If you can't see it, it is not reliable.  More talk power doesn't help, and can often hurt as you still have to talk back to the unit.   Keeping it high is the most important thing you can do, then hiding SSID. 

You can use the AE to provide DHCP services if you need to auto assign IP's.  It's as cheap an option as anything.

I might certainly already have as good as I am going to get and that is another reason why I am making sure I can return this WAP if need be. My main consideration is distance so unless this offers me more than the AE, it might just be a waste of money to me.
With that said, there is one more advantage to using a WAP such as this instead of an AE  router and that is aesthetics. I made a little stand that attaches to a boom mic stand so I can get the router up high. Even though the AE is small and to a certain extent inconspicuous, it would be nice to have something that when attached to a stand looks a bit more professional.

edit : sorry looks like the image rotated on me when I uploaded....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2019, 11:47:54 AM »

IMO, i suggest to consider adding a Ubiquiti AC AP LR to your AE. Setup the AP from the iPad Ubiquiti App. Have no fear, I have faith you and your mate can handle setup.
The Ubiquiti Long Range AP is better suited compared to the other Unifi models for yours and the majority of the lot of end users found on this thread/ forum, due to the symmetrical long range antenna, which provides better reception from handheld devices.
Be aware that this model is part of the Unifi lineup, and is capable of integrating into a mesh system, but for yours needs this is not only unnecessary, but unadvised if only for simplicity reasons alone.
Furthermore I would avoid repeaters as there is a tax on speed, and devices attempting connection between radios when moving between antennas. 
IME, my Ubiquiti AC Pro LR, with Edgerouter X combo, has proven to be a reliable, compact, powerful RF & software configurable setup. Well worth the money. Velco/ gaff tape the AP to top or bottom of a SOS, connected with a POE cat5e STP, makes for an easy gig deployment.
Note: FWIW, I remember moderator Tim M. posting as having a similar Ubiquiti combo for home use.

That is what I'm using at home - Edgerouter X and UAP AC LR.

I'm not a moderator - my super hero powers do not extend to the PSW forums. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Garris

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 12:23:51 PM »

Is this what you are talking about? I'm looking for a simple, one-unit AP, that I can set up and use in place of an Airport Express.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1189144-REG/ubiquiti_networks_uap_ac_lr_us_802_11ac_long_range.html

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2019, 12:39:08 PM »

The reasons I like the mesh unit is it is designed to mount to a vertical thing like a post or such and it is weather resistant which means I don’t need to be concerned about it while covering other stuff in the event of rain.

I use the dish models at home where they typically mount to ceilings etc.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »

Is this what you are talking about? I'm looking for a simple, one-unit AP, that I can set up and use in place of an Airport Express.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1189144-REG/ubiquiti_networks_uap_ac_lr_us_802_11ac_long_range.html
Yes. That’s what I use and Tim was talking about but remember you will still need a switch, DHCP server, and a POE injector. The Ubiquiti Edgerouter X provides all three of those functions.
..db

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.