ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch from router to WAP ?  (Read 29107 times)

John Schalk

Re: Switch from router to WAP ?
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 11:52:45 AM »

My beginner's tip/trick: you *need* to connect the Mesh AP to an active, working network (doesn't have to be your "final" network, just something with a live router that has DHCP and internet connectivity) so that you can configure it with the Unifi application. Figuring this out was the key to success.
This was my experience as well.  For more on my Ubiquity journey you can checkout this thread:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,171524.0.html

I have not yet dealt with turning off the uplink, so I'm curious to hear if Steve has done that for his setup or not?

My only other tiny con to going with the Mesh AP is that it's really designed for permanent installations so the cover for the Ethernet connection has a nice rubber seal, but it's not something that will probably survive a lot of connections.  I was thinking about using a 15' Ethernet cable semi-permanently attached to the Mesh AP, and then using a jumper to add more when I want to locate the WAP downstage for larger setups.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 12:25:24 PM »

Hi Debbie,
I'm also using the Airport for my console connection.

When I suspect I need more range, I add a small switch, and an additional WAP/Bridge - I'm using the Engenius ENH500, a 5ghz only directional device in AP mode.  Also, I've been needing a switch on the rig for other things, so it is plug it in, power it up and literally walk (farther) away. My Airport 2.4 and 5ghz use the same SSID, but I give the ENH5000 AP a different ID and frequency.  Works like a champ.  Configured once, and go anywhere.
 https://www.engeniustech.com/engenius-products/outdoor-wireless-bridge-enh500/

I use Ubiquity Unifi gear at home as a test bed for the network I've got set up at the cafe.  I do love the gear, but for our use for console control, a bit fussy for my liking.  The Airport, switch and ENH500 are plug and go.

YMMV.

frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »

Hi Debbie,
I'm also using the Airport for my console connection.

When I suspect I need more range, I add a small switch, and an additional WAP/Bridge - I'm using the Engenius ENH500, a 5ghz only directional device in AP mode.  Also, I've been needing a switch on the rig for other things, so it is plug it in, power it up and literally walk (farther) away. My Airport 2.4 and 5ghz use the same SSID, but I give the ENH5000 AP a different ID and frequency.  Works like a champ.  Configured once, and go anywhere.
 https://www.engeniustech.com/engenius-products/outdoor-wireless-bridge-enh500/

I use Ubiquity Unifi gear at home as a test bed for the network I've got set up at the cafe.  I do love the gear, but for our use for console control, a bit fussy for my liking.  The Airport, switch and ENH500 are plug and go.

YMMV.

frank

Hi Frank... I already have a rack mount switch installed so adding an extender wouldn't be a problem.
So you keep the extender with the router? This is what I am thinking - just something I can quickly connect to the switch (router) and raise up so I can walk farther away.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »

I've been using the AE for about 8 years now. It has gradually gotten worse and the past couple of years it is becoming a problem. Mine is still set for dual 2.5/5, but I don't want to mess with it during my busy season. Tonight is my last summer concert show, so next month I'm ready to make a change. My iPads are all dedicated for mixing so their not the issue. I recently did an outside show on a street patio, and the 25 people there caused so much rf interference that my connection was only good about 50% of the time. I had the AE up on a stand with mostly clear line of site.

I've been following the Ui24 facebook page and a few people there have had excellent results with the Ubiquiti: https://bhpho.to/2Zb6zqM
So I'm going to set up my Ui with the Ubiquiti, and then change my DL1608/AE system to 5GHz

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »

I've been using the AE for about 8 years now. It has gradually gotten worse and the past couple of years it is becoming a problem. Mine is still set for dual 2.5/5, but I don't want to mess with it during my busy season. Tonight is my last summer concert show, so next month I'm ready to make a change. My iPads are all dedicated for mixing so their not the issue. I recently did an outside show on a street patio, and the 25 people there caused so much rf interference that my connection was only good about 50% of the time. I had the AE up on a stand with mostly clear line of site.

I've been following the Ui24 facebook page and a few people there have had excellent results with the Ubiquiti: https://bhpho.to/2Zb6zqM
So I'm going to set up my Ui with the Ubiquiti, and then change my DL1608/AE system to 5GHz

I've been ONLY using 5gHz now for a couple of years and it changed everything for me - before that even though the AE should be choosing the band most suitable, just having the 2.4 available caused problems.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »

So should I get an extender and use it with the AE OR replace the AE with a WAP??

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 01:11:56 PM »

Like everyone said if its not broke dont try to fix it.. If you wanted to get something that works like all three to extend your range look up the DODOCOOL AP750.

It can be setup as a repeater to your existing AE for times when range becomes an issue. Wireless N and AC bands..

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »

Hi Frank... I already have a rack mount switch installed so adding an extender wouldn't be a problem.
So you keep the extender with the router? This is what I am thinking - just something I can quickly connect to the switch (router) and raise up so I can walk farther away.

Once you have it configured once (at home), plug and go.  It is fairly directional so it can reach out a bit farther than the Airport.  I velcro-strap mine to the pop-up leg or a speaker/light pole.  You can set it out farther as a satellite extension, but in that case, you'd want to set the SSID the same as the airport, but a different frequency, so you can roam between the two.  SSID password must also match...

As far as roaming among APs, I've got three Ubiquity/Unifi APs in the cafe, all running the same SSID so we can seamlessly roam from one room to another.  For that location, the Ubiquity Unifi system is the right answer.

I keep the AP handy the router, switch, and AP stored with the QU-Pac.

To be clear, this AP needs hard-wire to a switch - this is not a wireless range extender.

frank
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:22:03 PM by frank kayser »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »

Once you have it configured once (at home), plug and go.  It is fairly directional so it can reach out a bit farther than the Airport.  I velcro-strap mine to the pop-up leg or a speaker/light pole.  You can set it out farther as a satellite extension, but in that case, you'd want to set the SSID the same as the airport, but a different frequency, so you can roam between the two.  SSID password must also match...

As far as roaming among APs, I've got three Ubiquity/Unifi APs in the cafe, all running the same SSID so we can seamlessly roam from one room to another.  For that location, the Ubiquity Unifi system is the right answer.

I keep the AP handy the router, switch, and AP stored with the QU-Pac.

To be clear, this AP needs hard-wire to a switch - this is not a wireless range extender.

frank

Thanks Frank. What kind of distances are you getting?

Taylor Hall

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »

For a second I was very confused and trying to figure out why Debbie wanted to start using a 20 year old mobile device data protocol.

One thing that could help would be to do a wifi spectrum scan to see if there's a lot of traffic or if there are channels that are getting too crowded. There are lots of free ones out there, netstumbler, Wifi Analyzer, etc etc. Basically like WWB but for wifi.

I'm not too familiar with the Airport line, do they have external antennas? If so you might be able to upgrade them to something with a higher gain or more directional pattern so you can roam a bit more freely.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.