ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch from router to WAP ?  (Read 29181 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: Switch from router to WAP ?
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »

For what it's worth, I've had 3 Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC PROs for about 3 years, one for the home, one for the cabin, and one Velcroed to the top of the mixrack. They all work great. The home one covers the entire suburban property, the cabin one reaches 250 ft. to an outbuilding (in an admittedly very quiet RF environment), and the one on the mixer has never let me down. I use it mostly at fairly short range (on or near stage) in not super-crowded environments.

At the cabin I also have a pair of Ubiquiti airMax NanoBeams that provide a 1/2 mi. link between where we get our terrestrial wireless Internet and the cabin. They operate at 5 GHz and became rock-solid once I cut all the vegetation along the line-of-sight. With higher frequencies RF techs need to carry a chain saw and loppers ;) The ISP at the cabin also uses Ubiquiti on their side. The tech told me our service involves 5 hops. Dunno if that's true.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2019, 03:38:39 PM »

The ISP at the cabin also uses Ubiquiti on their side. The tech told me our service involves 5 hops. Dunno if that's true.

--Frank

Do a tracert from a command line (formerly known as DOS) window.  Will show ping times for each network hop, up to 30 hops.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2019, 03:44:11 PM »

Do a tracert from a command line (formerly known as DOS) window.  Will show ping times for each network hop, up to 30 hops.

Cool, thanks. I'll try that when I'm next there. -F

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »

Well, I never seem to get very far without hurdle of some kind. Problem is I don't have the knowledge to know how to proceed.
The Ubiquiti mesh arrived today and I am trying to get it configured. Haven't even got that far yet though.
I downloaded the controller but as soon as I try to open in a browser I get security warnings pop up both in Safari and Forefox ( I'm using my Mac to configure). Do I ignore the warnings and continue?
Also, right now I am connected in the usual way to the internet using the household Cisco router. At what point should I connect the Ubiquiti and how? I know this might seem very obvious to some of you but I become hesitant and nervous of doing something wrong when I don't understand it fully ..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »

Well, I never seem to get very far without hurdle of some kind. Problem is I don't have the knowledge to know how to proceed.
The Ubiquiti mesh arrived today and I am trying to get it configured. Haven't even got that far yet though.
I downloaded the controller but as soon as I try to open in a browser I get security warnings pop up both in Safari and Forefox ( I'm using my Mac to configure). Do I ignore the warnings and continue?
Also, right now I am connected in the usual way to the internet using the household Cisco router. At what point should I connect the Ubiquiti and how? I know this might seem very obvious to some of you but I become hesitant and nervous of doing something wrong when I don't understand it fully ..

Debbie, I'm far from the expert in any of this but I may be the only one not working this weekend, so I'll respond. Ignore the security warnings. It will be fine. If the new device wants a DHCP server, which is likely, connecting it to your LAN with the Cisco router should provide that. Once you get to the device with the controller program you should be able to configure the device as needed. You can then move it over to your non-Internet connected, and possibly non-DHCP, audio LAN.

As for understanding things (anything) fully, I think that era ended sometime last century  :(

--Frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2019, 08:07:31 PM »

Debbie, I'm far from the expert in any of this but I may be the only one not working this weekend, so I'll respond. Ignore the security warnings. It will be fine. If the new device wants a DHCP server, which is likely, connecting it to your LAN with the Cisco router should provide that. Once you get to the device with the controller program you should be able to configure the device as needed. You can then move it over to your non-Internet connected, and possibly non-DHCP, audio LAN.

As for understanding things (anything) fully, I think that era ended sometime last century  :(

--Frank
Thanks Frank I move ahead. I was more concerned than usual because the warnings were so 'in your face'...... I suppose the browsers are trying to protect me...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2019, 08:19:04 PM »

Maybe this is all beyond me or I am just too impatient. I am now into the controller and was asked to set up a network name. That was easy but the next page wants me to sign in with my credentials...... what credentials???
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:22:56 PM by Debbie Dunkley »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2019, 09:55:29 PM »

So I finally worked out how to get into the controller. It looks like I have been able to set it up for 2.4gHz but cannot find a way to set it up for 5gHz. Also when my iPad scans it finds 2 networks- the one is the name I gave the new network and the other is that name plus '.lot' at the end.
I am unable to connect with my mixer right now but I assume that is because I assigned an IP address to it years ago. I thought leaving the Ubiquiti in DHCP mode would still work though...... continuing to get it all sorted ..

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2019, 10:13:52 PM »

So I finally worked out how to get into the controller. It looks like I have been able to set it up for 2.4gHz but cannot find a way to set it up for 5gHz. Also when my iPad scans it finds 2 networks- the one is the name I gave the new network and the other is that name plus '.lot' at the end.
I am unable to connect with my mixer right now but I assume that is because I assigned an IP address to it years ago. I thought leaving the Ubiquiti in DHCP mode would still work though...... continuing to get it all sorted ..

Alas, this is beyond my knowledge. Keep screwing around with it and keep track of all that you change so that you can back out anything that breaks it. It sounds like you're close. You'll get it. -F

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »

Alas, this is beyond my knowledge. Keep screwing around with it and keep track of all that you change so that you can back out anything that breaks it. It sounds like you're close. You'll get it. -F

Thanks Frank..I found out that the .lot suffix refers to the 2G network... getting closer. The IP address thing is causing me problems so maybe I'll wait for the network gurus to help me with that .... I hope so anyway  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.