ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch from router to WAP ?  (Read 29182 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Switch from router to WAP ?
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »

What Debbie (and others) put into use was this Access Point: Ubiquiti Mesh
https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-M-US-Unifi-Access-Point/dp/B01N9FIELY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=upiquit+mesh&qid=1577809578&sr=8-1-spell
Any half-decent ethernet switch will work such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=gigabit+switch&qid=1577809712&sr=8-4

You'll have to configure the Access Point.  Honestly, that is a bit of a PITA, especially if one has never worked with Ubiquiti stuff before.  Fortunately, it is a one-time hassle.  The additional range and reliability is worth the effort, as Debbie and others will attest (and so have already done).  The Ubiquiti gets its power as Power over Ethernet (POE).  The POE adapter is included in the package.

Debbie's was set up to get a DHCP address from her Apple Airport. 
She used a unique SSID, different than that of her Airport. 
It is easy to leave the switch and router close to the mixer, and run an ethernet line to the AP and strap the AP on to a speaker stand, or the like.

Connection is Apple Airport --> Switch --> POE Adapter --> Ubiquiti Mesh
                                                       |-----> Mixer
                                                       |-----> Lighting TCP/IP to DMX Controller

frank

Thanks for this Frank. I'm first going to set my new SC mixer up with a simple home router. Once that is working smoothly, I'm going with the Ubiquity Mesh and a switch. I just found a guy (friend) that I will pay to set up the Ubiquity. It will be worth it based on the reviews I've read here. Find a network guy and pay them to set it up! Buy once - cry once.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »

If you don't want the hassle of figuring out the (terrible) Ubuiti firmware, don't forget you can just flash them with DD-WRT. That's what I finally did with mine after getting tired of struggling to get the myriad of settings correct. Now I love using my NanoStations!

(Not sure if there's a DD-WRT version for the specific devices being talked about in this thread, mind you!)
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »

Don't confuse one time hassle with one hour or even one day hassle with the Ubiqiuiti gear.  If your prior experience is with plug & play consumer devices configuring anything Ubiquiti requires a fair amount of time, research and above all attention to firmware levels. Add to that Ubiquiti tech support is pretty useless as well. After that it does work substantially better than any Apple or Netgear consumer wifi router I've had occasion to use. 

I agree that I understated "hassle".  I've done a fair amount with Ubiquity, at home and at the Cafe, yet it took me several hours and more than one try to get Debbie's AP sorted.  Riley is no rookie, nor can anyone say he is not savvy, technically or otherwise.  That said, he was not so lucky as his was a very frustrating, multi-day event, finally tracked to no firmware loaded from the factory, so I'm told.  That really is unacceptable. 

Not for the feint of heart.  Plug and play, it is not. 

Once past the frustration, anger and tears, pretty solid and does indeed, perform well.
I would parallel the experience to photos on one's phone and jumping into using a DSLR without a manual. (or with a manual, such as they are!)

YMMV
frank

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2019, 04:40:58 PM »

Thanks for this Frank. I'm first going to set my new SC mixer up with a simple home router. Once that is working smoothly, I'm going with the Ubiquity Mesh and a switch. I just found a guy (friend) that I will pay to set up the Ubiquity. It will be worth it based on the reviews I've read here. Find a network guy and pay them to set it up! Buy once - cry once.

Happy to help, Steve.  If you or your network guy run into trouble, drop me a PM.
frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2019, 04:40:58 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.