ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Switch from router to WAP ?  (Read 29090 times)

Nick Falbo

Re: Switch from router to WAP ?
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2019, 10:21:32 PM »

That wasn't a rip directed at you, it was just a general statement. Many people buy things like the Ubiquiti products and expect them to work out of the box like an iphone. That is not the case with networking gear. You also get what you pay for. If you run into a brick wall with setup, don't say it is broken, hire someone who knows about networking to set it up for you. To many people ask questions or ask for advise then complain when things aren't as easy as they want them to be.

I am NOT having issues and my hardware is working perfectly - thanks anyway.
Each time I have had questions regarding any subject relating to sound reinforcement since I joined this forum,  I have asked for and generously been offered help from these good folks and this last endeavor was no exception.

Nick Falbo

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2019, 11:18:50 PM »

I should also preface this with any SDN network system is much easier to setup than any system that is strictly CLI programming. You don't know what hell is until you have to program 3 routers, 17 core switches, 71 edge switches, with 9 vlans, 11 subnets, all with wireless access until you have to do that all in CLI.....

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2019, 11:50:49 PM »

I should also preface this with any SDN network system is much easier to setup than any system that is strictly CLI programming. You don't know what hell is until you have to program 3 routers, 17 core switches, 71 edge switches, with 9 vlans, 11 subnets, all with wireless access until you have to do that all in CLI.....

The Ubiquity is not an SDN, not sure who you are trying to impress but you should probably know your audience.  Rob is an ex Bell Labs guy and I am director of network engineering at a well know cloud services provider.  Clearly you are a network engineer, conceded.  Now chill out so we can take the dick cap off your head.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2019, 12:43:24 AM »

[...] Many people buy things like the Ubiquiti products and expect them to work out of the box like an iphone. That is not the case with networking gear. You also get what you pay for. If you run into a brick wall with setup, don't say it is broken, hire someone who knows about networking to set it up for you. To many people ask questions or ask for advise then complain when things aren't as easy as they want them to be.

I don't think anyone who's purchased a UniFi product at the suggestion of this forum thought that setting it up would be plug-and-play. Every single mention of a Ubiquiti product on these forums is accompanied by a huge asterisk about its challenging setup and typically also a request for help; of course, helping people make things work represents a significant portion of what happens on these forums so these requests are perfectly normal and reasonable.

At its most basic, the point of these forums is to allow people to learn from each other. Aside from safety issues (i.e. activities that require a certified electrician, rigger, or a P.Eng.), it's fairly uncommon around here to suggest hiring someone with more or different experience, because if that's all we did none of us would ever have the chance to learn anything.

[...] Now chill out so we can take the dick cap off your head.

To expand on this a little: telling someone that they don't know what they're doing is easy (and, frankly, priggish). Helping and teaching can be much harder, but it's the right thing to do, and in my experience it's what's expected around here. If you have knowledge that you'd like to contribute then you are encouraged to do so, but telling people who are trying to learn that they should give up isn't helping anyone.

-Russ

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2019, 04:37:02 AM »

I don't think anyone who's purchased a UniFi product at the suggestion of this forum thought that setting it up would be plug-and-play. Every single mention of a Ubiquiti product on these forums is accompanied by a huge asterisk about its challenging setup and typically also a request for help; of course, helping people make things work represents a significant portion of what happens on these forums so these requests are perfectly normal and reasonable.

At its most basic, the point of these forums is to allow people to learn from each other. Aside from safety issues (i.e. activities that require a certified electrician, rigger, or a P.Eng.), it's fairly uncommon around here to suggest hiring someone with more or different experience, because if that's all we did none of us would ever have the chance to learn anything.

To expand on this a little: telling someone that they don't know what they're doing is easy (and, frankly, priggish). Helping and teaching can be much harder, but it's the right thing to do, and in my experience it's what's expected around here. If you have knowledge that you'd like to contribute then you are encouraged to do so, but telling people who are trying to learn that they should give up isn't helping anyone.

-Russ

+1

I had this thread bookmarked pages ago for when I'm ready to move on from my netgear. I know it's frustrating when some wish to learn the hard way but others are listening. The knowledge gained on this forums helps everyone elevate their level of expertise.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2019, 07:55:59 AM »

Yes. That’s what I use and Tim was talking about but remember you will still need a switch, DHCP server, and a POE injector. The Ubiquiti Edgerouter X provides all three of those functions.

Be aware that some of the Unifi AP's use 24v passive POE, others use 803.11af/at, and some can do both. Most of them come with an injector, but some don't. The Edgerouters usually can't provide POE, and if they can, it is usually 24v passive POE.

Make sure you get the right POE combinations.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2019, 08:01:57 AM »

Right up to when they aren't.  Brand new Unify UAP fails to be adaptable despite being seen by the router and Ubiquity support has no clue.

That happens sometimes. Giving the AP a factory reset usually works.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2019, 09:52:50 AM »

So which is it?

The Ubiquiti Unifi line and all the Unifi AP's are all pretty idiot proof to setup and is what I recommend for anyone who doesn't have an IT job.

or

If you are having issues you probably shouldn't be doing networking yourself and should hire a professional. ...

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2019, 10:11:16 PM »

What ever it is the problem has now been kicked up to level two support.

That happens sometimes. Giving the AP a factory reset usually works.

Nick Falbo

« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2019, 11:59:18 PM »

The Unfifi line is SDN.   :(
The Ubiquity is not an SDN, not sure who you are trying to impress but you should probably know your audience.  Rob is an ex Bell Labs guy and I am director of network engineering at a well know cloud services provider.  Clearly you are a network engineer, conceded.  Now chill out so we can take the dick cap off your head.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2019, 11:59:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 24 queries.