ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rackable router?  (Read 11873 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Rackable router?
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 07:00:56 PM »

I thought of the velcro thing as well.  After I put everything in the rack I tested it with the router in the drawer and the drawer closed.  I was able to connect from the laptop to the XR18 without any issues.  I know that's not necessarily a real-world scenario, but if worse comes to worse I could always take the router out of the drawer and put it on top of the rack.  Up until now I've had the XR18 sitting directly on the stage with the router next to it.  The laptop controlling the XR18 sits next to me behind the drum kit

I would skip the wireless and just run an Ethernet cable to your iPad in this case. 1000x easier and more reliable.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Hole

• Sound Resume
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 09:55:56 PM »

Rather similar to Debbie, I have an Airport Express mounted on a 1U rack with a DMX to ethernet interface and a POE injector connected and both zip tie mounted so jacks are at front of the rack.  In the rack is a X32 Core with DL32 stage box.  The band uses the Airport to mix ears on stage - we've opened for A-list bands on very large stages with no troubles.  If I mix on iPad in the audience (versus full M32) I connect a TP-Link Outdoor AP 5G to the POE connection and mount on a small photo type light stand so about 6 ft off the deck.  Have mixed 250' out with no issues in very large venues.  I also keep an Airport Extreme in my FOH kit as a backup.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 12:53:38 PM »

Rather similar to Debbie, I have an Airport Express mounted on a 1U rack with a DMX to ethernet interface and a POE injector connected and both zip tie mounted so jacks are at front of the rack.  In the rack is a X32 Core with DL32 stage box.  The band uses the Airport to mix ears on stage - we've opened for A-list bands on very large stages with no troubles.  If I mix on iPad in the audience (versus full M32) I connect a TP-Link Outdoor AP 5G to the POE connection and mount on a small photo type light stand so about 6 ft off the deck.  Have mixed 250' out with no issues in very large venues.  I also keep an Airport Extreme in my FOH kit as a backup.

Jonathan, is that TP - LINK used as an extender and connected to the Airport Express?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Doyle

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 12:40:50 PM »

For now I'm sticking with the velcro in the drawer method (see what I did there?).  I also checked out the Swissonic and it does look good, but the $$ might not be justified.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 01:59:00 PM »

For now I'm sticking with the velcro in the drawer method (see what I did there?).  I also checked out the Swissonic and it does look good, but the $$ might not be justified.
How are you going to the get rack over people's heads?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Marr

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 02:30:38 PM »

I was racking Airport Extreme routers for a while (and they worked great), but they interfered with my Guitar Wireless (shure glxd), and they don't have the option to turn off the 2.4 ghz frequency.
On a recommendation I grabbed a Mikrotik router (tiny and light) and it has been great.  I grabbed 2 of them actually and they both have worked just as good as the Apple, but I can shut off the 2.4 (thus my guitar wireless has been fine) and they are smaller and lighter.

I'm using for bar/club duty, so never going very far (and when the gig starts, my iPad is 3 feet from the router...so disconnect is never going to be likely).

Chris Doyle

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 02:57:15 PM »

Since the router sits on the stage and the laptop is also on stage usually about 3 feet behind it, we've never experienced any connectivity issues, and I don't expect any once we start using the rack.  This Saturday we'll be trying it out for the first time, so we'll see. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 05:24:54 PM »

Since the router sits on the stage and the laptop is also on stage usually about 3 feet behind it, we've never experienced any connectivity issues, and I don't expect any once we start using the rack.  This Saturday we'll be trying it out for the first time, so we'll see.

At which point I have to ask, "why wireless"?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Lars Petter Dahl

• Scenelyd
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 03:00:41 AM »

LP Dahl

Chris Doyle

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »

At which point I have to ask, "why wireless"?

During set up, I will take the laptop out in front of the stage while we're checking the FOH speakers and monitors, and being wireless is handy there.  Once the show starts though, the laptop stays next to me onstage(I'm the drummer).  We've done a couple shows where we actually had someone running sound with the laptop in front of the stage, and it still worked fine wirelessly, although it was still a short distance from the XR18 and the crowds were small enough so as not likely to have contention. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.