ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF Composite speakers and low-mid "honk" at louder sudden levels  (Read 964 times)

Miguel Dahl

This might be a very narrow topic. And I'm not even 100% sure if it's the speakers, or me, even though I'm pretty sure it's the speakers.. So asking if anyone else has felt/heard the same.

My workplace has HDL-30 as our main PA. I haven't used it very much, but I feel I can hear "something" which I didn't hear in other line arrays when I was a freelancer mostly using D&B and Meyer.

For instance, a good example is if a rapper says "HU!", I feel there's suddenly more energy around 250-350Hz than it "should be". I've asked myself a few times "Where did that come from?". I've used it in various configs, from 4 stacked to 10 flown a side. It reminds me of plastic speaker on a stick resonance or how I would describe it, I don't know. I'm pretty sure I've never heard this behavior from a "good" wooden box. It just suddenly goes "untight" and a bit hollow, I've also felt that these boxes spill a lot of energy at these frequencies, when standing on the stage or doing monitors behind the hang for example, this is where it will feed back first. and these frequencies stick out during the "HU!". So I've taken them down on EQ, but then the mix sound less full at lower levels.

It it only me?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: RCF Composite speakers and low-mid "honk" at louder sudden levels
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »

It's the plastic box resonance.  You should mix monitors behind an under-trimmed hang of any HDL.... Oy vey.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:00:03 PM »

It's the plastic box resonance.  You should mix monitors behind an under-trimmed hang of any HDL.... Oy vey.

That has been my feeling since the first time I used them. Guess I'll start using a dynamic EQ from now on.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:15:33 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 02:44:06 PM »

It reminds me of plastic speaker on a stick resonance or how I would describe it, I don't know. I'm pretty sure I've never heard this behavior from a "good" wooden box. It just suddenly goes "untight" and a bit hollow, I've also felt that these boxes spill a lot of energy at these frequencies, when standing on the stage or doing monitors behind the hang for example, this is where it will feed back first.

As Tim Mc said, THIS.  Over the years I've come to the conclusion that you simply can't fix a plastic box, period.  It just doesn't operate in the same realm as good plywood, and the results will suffer because of it.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »

As Tim Mc said, THIS.  Over the years I've come to the conclusion that you simply can't fix a plastic box, period.  It just doesn't operate in the same realm as good plywood, and the results will suffer because of it.

I agree. I just felt I should start soft in my opening post. You can hear the plastic in (around) them. Well. That's what we have for the "big rig", so I just have to take precautions. I already know how I want to deploy it, and it's as far as possible from the stage, within limits. Now I have to learn how to deal with the "honk". But I must say that the 9006 and 9007 subs I deploy with the tops are fantastic.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.