ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Cheap" digital mixers running FOH at big festivals!!! Wow!  (Read 9118 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: "Cheap" digital mixers running FOH at big festivals!!! Wow!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 09:58:05 PM »

Are they falling in line?
Ok, not sure how to explain that one away.  Hard to say it was just a typo :)

Seriously I worked a for AARP presents of all things,  imag, ligjting and sound.  The support act was Bruce Hornsby,  he got an x32 and sounded great through the db T8's

Our very own Bill Schmaky mixes Head East on an M32 and his mix sounded just as good as the dueling Digco's Styx and REO were out with.
Yea, my favorite is guys that mix for bands that have a guitar with a full stack dimed out with a line of wedges on stage (also maxed out GBF level) who swear a better mixer makes the band sound better.

So much sound bleed on stage that every slider simply raises the volume on everything else on stage (except vocals).

I almost had the chance to go to one of Bill's gigs in Illinois a couple of years ago (my family is from there so I visit from time to time).  Still might see if I can catch up to him some time to see a good mix on an M32.  I hear tell he does a fine job..... even on a "Cheap" mixer ...... go figure.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2019, 03:01:45 AM »

Still might see if I can catch up to him some time to see a good mix on an M32.  I hear tell he does a fine job..... even on a "Cheap" mixer ...... go figure.

Cool should have clarified Bill's artist was the opener for Styx and REO so had a direct comparison on same rig one act mixed on m32 the other acts were on Digico SD7's
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jon Brunskill

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »

I’m a big fan of the UI-24r and use it almost exclusively now. Over the winter I’ll add another and learn the ntracies of cascading. 

The Australian Company SM was the original developer bought out by Harmon.  The old UI product manager Danny Olesh is an active FOH engineer down under.  That could be one reason you see it in use at big shows down there.

My UI rig is based on a good external router, a Dell All In One Touch screen PC - all held up by an APC 900 va UPS.  For me it has been bullet proof.

I am still running firmware v2.  Following the news on v3.  It is Harmon after all... I may do he upgrade after the busy season ends.  For sure not now!
[/quote

V3 works great, go for it.

Peter Morris

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »

Nothing wrong with using a mixer like the UI24 for a show like that with a wired connection to the control device.

What amazed me recently was realising that Elton John's monitor mix uses SAC.  I'd written that off as cheap Heath Robinson technology from a previous era.  But you don't get much bigger than Elton...
http://fohonline.com/articles/production-profile/elton-john-farewell-yellow-brick-road-tour/

Also, while Digico is hardly low end, I remember Ed Sheeran being mixed on an SD11 for a few years...

The other little one I keep seeing everywhere is A&H's dLive 1500 – its small enough to fly and extremely power with excellent sound quality.

https://snapshot11.com/allen-heath-dlive-c1500-compact-consoles-cover-coachella/

https://fohonline.com/archives/may-2019/mixing-billie-eilish/

https://en.soundlightup.com/news/flying-high-with-dlive-wings-beartooth-takes-off-with-allen-heath.html

Steve Garris

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »

I’m a big fan of the UI-24r and use it almost exclusively now. Over the winter I’ll add another and learn the ntracies of cascading. 

The Australian Company SM was the original developer bought out by Harmon.  The old UI product manager Danny Olesh is an active FOH engineer down under.  That could be one reason you see it in use at big shows down there.

My UI rig is based on a good external router, a Dell All In One Touch screen PC - all held up by an APC 900 va UPS.  For me it has been bullet proof.

I am still running firmware v2.  Following the news on v3.  It is Harmon after all... I may do he upgrade after the busy season ends.  For sure not now!

V3 works great, go for it.

Jon, which All in One PC are you using? I'm leaning towards one of those, but alarmed by bad reviews stating how slow they are. I want fast responding faders for my Ui24 rig.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:53:07 PM by Mac Kerr »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 01:22:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.