ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Maybe a record strike...  (Read 2313 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Maybe a record strike...
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 12:50:00 am »

Really damned thankful for my client that called it about 2 min after I suggested we pull the plug.

I had about the same thing a few years ago at an outdoor festival
with a medium sized system.

The radar was a showing a line of heavy storms building that was not matter of if but when they would hit.

After watching the radar for a couple of updates I told the powers that be when we needed to shut down so not only myself but the
artist and vendors could get pack up before it rolled through.

As I was driving away the towns tornado sirens were going off!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 06:48:39 am »

A few years ago, I was playing in a band in a local park.  It was a pleasant warm evening.  With no warning, the weather instantly changed to some of the heaviest rain I have ever witnessed.  That was a rush to get everything under cover.
It only lasted about fifteen minutes, but after that, there was no audience!

Steve.

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 03:37:39 pm »

I love the F**ket Bucket (TM Debbie Dunkley) !

Another vote for adoption into Official Technical Nomenclature!

After having "volunteer" labor coil cables in a hurry, I'd almost prefer to let them get wet (cables, that is, not the volunteers...).

My priority is to disconnect everything, close up cases and move gear under available cover.  I'll then wrap cables or grab them after the rain stops.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 06:48:29 pm »

Another vote for adoption into Official Technical Nomenclature!

After having "volunteer" labor coil cables in a hurry, I'd almost prefer to let them get wet (cables, that is, not the volunteers...).

My priority is to disconnect everything, close up cases and move gear under available cover.  I'll then wrap cables or grab them after the rain stops.

Dave

This seems like a smart strategy in an emergency. Unplug everything and get electronics/speakers/instruments sheltered. Everything else can weather the storm.

Oh, and for those non-emergency normal times we typically deal with, cable reels are way faster than coiling!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 11:38:15 pm »

This seems like a smart strategy in an emergency. Unplug everything and get electronics/speakers/instruments sheltered. Everything else can weather the storm.

Oh, and for those non-emergency normal times we typically deal with, cable reels are way faster than coiling!

Oh no not reels.  I know it seems like a good idea, but just say no!

Wrapping cables gets better with practice.  Having a good crew to kick your ass when you are too slow helps too!

I am fat and have a bad hip so I usually pack up front of house, push it to the truck/dock then go back and help wrap cables, put lids on cases etc.  and push out the rest of the rig.  Basically had a lot of practice wrapping :-)

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nate Zifra

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 12:10:25 pm »

These past two years have been particularly wet in my area. Anymore, if there's a chance of rain, I just bag/tarp, or at least stage it ahead of time.

My running joke is that if we prepare for it, it won't rain, if we don't, then it certainly will.

It has held somewhat true this season.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 09:30:45 pm »

I have a large tarp that if there is any risk of rain, the tarp is staged just behind the center clustered subs and we can cover the whole stage in seconds. Just lay down mic stands and remove guitars and such. Kill stage power. The mains an subs have rain covers from Undercover a NYC. I have a clear plastic cover for the mixer and a staged tarp and is under a pop up.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 09:30:45 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 23 queries.