ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best fans for stage use?  (Read 9383 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Best fans for stage use?
« on: August 15, 2019, 04:47:54 PM »

I'm going to need to pick up some cooling fans for artists on stage. Looking at:

Air King Industrial: High CFM, very durable, all metal
Vornado: ??? Supposed to be quiet, low CFM but have shroud to "project air" around
Honeywell: low cost, all plastic,

Anyone have any input?

I'd prefer not to drop $1000+ on theatrical effect fans.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Best fans for stage use?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 04:54:13 PM »

I'm a big... fan ...of the Lasko squirrel-cage style fans with the pivoting heads. Move lots of air, fairly quiet, bonus convenience 120v outlets in the side. Great for on stage and in tech worlds. A lifesaver at festival mons and FOH.

EDIT: Lasko apparently call them a "high velocity utility fan." Model numbers include 4900 and 4905 which I think are just different sizes. They also sell them rebranded under the Stanley name, but they are a bright yellow vs the dark grey of the Lasko. The Stanley can sometimes be found cheaper so I suppose you could always paint one black.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:56:34 PM by Steven Eudaly »

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »

I'm going to need to pick up some cooling fans for artists on stage. Looking at:

Vornado: ??? Supposed to be quiet, low CFM but have shroud to "project air" around

Anyone have any input?

I've used a small Honeywell turboforce fan to blow my haze for years. Still works after being covered in hazer fluid.  Quiet, small and unobtrusive. And cheap. Fans always seem to grow legs.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »

I'm a big... fan ...of the Lasko squirrel-cage style fans with the pivoting heads. Move lots of air, fairly quiet, bonus convenience 120v outlets in the side. Great for on stage and in tech worlds. A lifesaver at festival mons and FOH.

EDIT: Lasko apparently call them a "high velocity utility fan." Model numbers include 4900 and 4905 which I think are just different sizes. They also sell them rebranded under the Stanley name, but they are a bright yellow vs the dark grey of the Lasko. The Stanley can sometimes be found cheaper so I suppose you could always paint one black.
Same here.(or similar) Lots of air...very quiet. Also called "air movers" or "blower fans"
MUCH better than conventional blade style fans.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Fans-Floor-Fans-Blower-Fans/N-5yc1vZc4m7

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »

We use this style too ( in both Lasko and Stanley brand) very good fans but you do have to be careful to keep them from blowing into or across the mics.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:44:30 PM »

The Stanley can sometimes be found cheaper so I suppose you could always paint one black.

Didn't the Stones do a song about that?

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 11:46:35 PM »

Same here.(or similar) Lots of air...very quiet. Also called "air movers" or "blower fans"
MUCH better than conventional blade style fans.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Fans-Floor-Fans-Blower-Fans/N-5yc1vZc4m7

Yeah, the blade fans are moving something like 2000CFM while the adjustable blower fans are doing like 300CFM. Thought that may be the way to go. Cheers to Debbie for not shooting them at the mics, that's exactly what I was concerned about.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 06:19:44 AM »

Yeah, the blade fans are moving something like 2000CFM while the adjustable blower fans are doing like 300CFM. Thought that may be the way to go. Cheers to Debbie for not shooting them at the mics, that's exactly what I was concerned about.
You might want to consider wind socks on, at least, the condensers.
I would imagine the singers would not mind wind socks on vocal mics if they were being kept cool at the same time :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 08:08:46 AM »

After seeing Honeywell after Honeywell carried in by touring drummers, I bought a bunch. They live in a duffle bag in the truck with a couple guitar stands. They were wicked cheap and everyone is happy to see them.

Most of the Vornados I have seen on stage were gaffed back together.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 08:35:20 AM »

Anyone have any input?

I have used the Air King fans in 12" and 24" sizes, and they are very quiet when compared to other all-metal air movers. They produce an atonal "whoosh" air movement sound rather than a pronounced bladepass note, because of the round "lobe"-shaped blades rather than using sickle or rectangular shaped blades like cheaper fans do. Also, I have been using the Air King 12" at home every night, and I can easily fall asleep with it running. It produces a 60-degree "cone" of air rather than a narrow projected "beam".

I also have the little Honeywell fan and I use it in the garage. It's good for its size and for spot cooling but can't keep up with the larger fans. It is quiet on its lowest setting.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 08:38:30 AM by Rory Buszka »
Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 08:35:20 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.