ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000  (Read 10668 times)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
Re: Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2019, 01:33:45 PM »

As an update.... I was able to borrow an AT4050 from a friend of a friend to try out and I LOVED it. It sounded really good with my voice so I purchased a used one on eBay in mint condition - I won the auction.
I haven't used it to record yet but I am very excited for my next project. Thanks so much for all your suggestions everyone.

Audio Technica makes some great mics. The AT4050 is a bargain even new. A used one in mint condition would be a steel!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2019, 04:39:50 PM »

Audio Technica makes some great mics. The AT4050 is a bargain even new. A used one in mint condition would be a steel!

Hey Mark - thanks.... yes I paid $326.50 incl shipping. It came with the nice AT shock mount and in a foam padded camera case. The guy really looked after it. He contacted me after the auction and had some really nice things to say about the mic - he didn't want to sell it but went deaf in one ear suddenly. It really is mint and I couldn't be happier.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2019, 10:38:47 AM »

+1 on AT4050, great mic.
I’m using it combined with a Royer 121 on guitar amps.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2019, 10:59:31 AM »

...I purchased a used one on eBay in mint condition...

I really like that mic - I even own the live, handheld version - the A/T AE5400 - and it sounds wonderful on most female vocals.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »

Oh, and since you do lots of live work, I recently picked up a MBHO MBD 219 C - hand held dynamic mic that sounds stunning. About $350 new. I bought it for live work but tried it out in the studio the other day for a scratch track and was impressed. Here is a youtube video with the lead singer using the MBHO MBD 219 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0TVNrCTsxY
So it continues..... I played the video you linked to of Yori Swart to my husband and he LOVED it. He has gone ahead and purchased everything he can find on iTunes that is available and then went and purchased the MBHO MBD 219SC too! It arrived today.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2019, 02:46:05 PM »

So it continues..... I played the video you linked to of Yori Swart to my husband and he LOVED it. He has gone ahead and purchased everything he can find on iTunes that is available and then went and purchased the MBHO MBD 219SC too! It arrived today.

Debbie you are going to love that mic! Monday my band (female lead vocal) wanted to record some of our new tunes but we just wanted to play "live"....no layering tracks and no iso booths. So I set us up all in the same room and placed the singer a bit away from the drums using the MBHO 219C for her vocals (BTW I have the cardioid....did you get the supper cardioid?). Not only did it sound great, but there was almost no drum bleed into her vocal mic!

Here is a short clip of the final mix...again this is "live" (in my studio), no overdubs. This was recorded "old school" - analog desk, analog outboard, we just used the DAW as a tape machine...nothing nothing done in post other than levels/eq/comp (using the console, not the DAW)....so should be a good representation of what you will get on stage. I can send you the same clip with the vocal soloed if you like. Vocal had console eq (A&H GSR24M), 1176 rev F comp, TC M3000 reverb and TC M-One for delays. Orion 32 converter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3wdctn7z0nu397/mic%20sample.mp3?dl=0

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »

Debbie you are going to love that mic! Monday my band (female lead vocal) wanted to record some of our new tunes but we just wanted to play "live"....no layering tracks and no iso booths. So I set us up all in the same room and placed the singer a bit away from the drums using the MBHO 219C for her vocals (BTW I have the cardioid....did you get the supper cardioid?). Not only did it sound great, but there was almost no drum bleed into her vocal mic!

Here is a short clip of the final mix...again this is "live" (in my studio), no overdubs. This was recorded "old school" - analog desk, analog outboard, we just used the DAW as a tape machine...nothing nothing done in post other than levels/eq/comp (using the console, not the DAW)....so should be a good representation of what you will get on stage. I can send you the same clip with the vocal soloed if you like. Vocal had console eq (A&H GSR24M), 1176 rev F comp, TC M3000 reverb and TC M-One for delays. Orion 32 converter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3wdctn7z0nu397/mic%20sample.mp3?dl=0

It is just so clear but warm too! Nice job on the recording considering that is dry!.....
It is just so clear but warm too! I tried it a little while ago and it is pretty amazing.
I LOVE the fact it is so clear without being condenser - maybe it won't pick up every single movement I make when I record - LOL.
Later I will try it up against a Shure KMS8 and a Senny E935. Then I'll check it out against my new AT4050....

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »

BTW I have the cardioid....did you get the supper cardioid?

Yes I got the super cardioid...

I can safely say that MBHO doesn't  believe in putting much effort into design or presentation!!  We got it new from a reputable dealer ( the only one in the US I believe) so I know its legit but I was surprised when I opened the package.
There is no outer box, just an ugly looking gray plastic case with light blue catches. Inside, no dust covers on the items - just the mic in one slot and a mic clip in the other ( the other slot being another mic cutout so the clip doesn't even fit well.) The mic itself is a bit odd looking to be honest and quite lightweight.
Probably why they can charge so little.......
However, The sound of the mic more than makes up for it and I'd rather have my money there than in case candy.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2019, 05:12:05 PM »

Yes I got the super cardioid...

I can safely say that MBHO doesn't  believe in putting much effort into design or presentation!!  We got it new from a reputable dealer ( the only one in the US I believe) so I know its legit but I was surprised when I opened the package.
There is no outer box, just an ugly looking gray plastic case with light blue catches. Inside, no dust covers on the items - just the mic in one slot and a mic clip in the other ( the other slot being another mic cutout so the clip doesn't even fit well.) The mic itself is a bit odd looking to be honest and quite lightweight.
Probably why they can charge so little.......
However, The sound of the mic more than makes up for it and I'd rather have my money there than in case candy.

Yeah, it is surprisingly lightweight, but built like a tank. And as you say, the sound is amazing.

I actually like the plastic case with foam - it does a perfect job protecting the mic and yet doesn't attract unwanted attention. I agree the lack of cutout for the mic clip is a bit odd.

I'm assuming you bought yours the same place I did - the only place in the US that sells them. BTW the dealer is fantastic - an engineer got right back to me when I had a support issue. I had emailed them with a problem, then emailed again to say I resolved the problem (one of those mystery problems where an item fails to work, and after double checking everything you open it up, find nothing wrong inside, put it back together, and then suddenly it works). The next morning they called me first thing just to make sure everything was fine. Their engineer had even taken a unit apart just to verify what I saw and that nothing was amiss. I was impressed.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2019, 05:28:06 PM »

Yeah, it is surprisingly lightweight, but built like a tank. And as you say, the sound is amazing.

I actually like the plastic case with foam - it does a perfect job protecting the mic and yet doesn't attract unwanted attention. I agree the lack of cutout for the mic clip is a bit odd.

I'm assuming you bought yours the same place I did - the only place in the US that sells them. BTW the dealer is fantastic - an engineer got right back to me when I had a support issue. I had emailed them with a problem, then emailed again to say I resolved the problem (one of those mystery problems where an item fails to work, and after double checking everything you open it up, find nothing wrong inside, put it back together, and then suddenly it works). The next morning they called me first thing just to make sure everything was fine. Their engineer had even taken a unit apart just to verify what I saw and that nothing was amiss. I was impressed.

That's nice to know Mark. I have used the dealer once before a few years ago but just for some small bits and pieces. Yes they are the only ones that come up on the MBHO website. I still can't believe the price of this mic.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2019, 05:28:06 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.