ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000  (Read 10670 times)

Mal Brown

Re: Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 03:21:52 AM »

I have a mint 441, last time I used it was for Fleetwood Mac tribute
a few years ago. It really did sound good live!

Try it as a drum overhead, 421 on the kick - for a small tight jazz kit it is very musical.  For sometime it was the Stevie Nicks mic as well as the Elton John mic...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 11:17:04 AM »

Question: how well-treated is the recording room?

The reason I ask is this: an untreated room will rule out a lot of candidates. The big old ribbons, side-address large-diaphragm condensers etc where you'll be a foot or two away will all pick up plenty of "room sound", and that's unlikely to be a good thing.

Following that, I'd be looking for mics that you can use fairly close-up. An RE20 or a KSM8 would mean the proximity effect doesn't change as you move.

After those, there's a huge selection of mics that can be used close-up but will include some (varying according to movement) proximity effect. We are, however, pretty much back at "best live vocal mics".

Following that, what about using one of your stage mics? If you've only got SM58s I'd try to find something nicer, but I've found my Beyer TG-X930 records rather well. It should, too - it has the same small-diaphragm condenser capsule as the MC930.

Chris

Room is not treated as a studio would be but I have the mic and shield positioned in front of a wall and in a spot in the room that gives me a sound I like - BUT yes if I were to step back and 'allow' the room sound in, it wouldn't work for me. I stand pretty close to the mic.
Stage mics -  the KSM8 and E935 are probably my nicest.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chris Doyle

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »

Check out the C1 from Miktek. Great sounding mic, retails for $600.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 02:13:43 PM »

Check out the C1 from Miktek. Great sounding mic, retails for $600.

Just did some reading up on the Miktek series. U.S. made - some very good reviews out there...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 02:20:36 PM »

The thing about any vocal mic is it so user dependent. until you actually try out each Mic  basically it's going to be hard to decide.
Very much like picking a mate, you don't know what you want exactly but you know when you've found it.

Just order every Mic you think you like on Amazon and try them out for 30 days and then return the ones you don't like he he he😳👍
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 03:08:21 PM »

Just order every Mic you think you like on Amazon and try them out for 30 days and then return the ones you don't like he he he😳👍

At Kohl's apparently...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/08/kohls-stores-now-accepting-amazon-returns-no-box-required/1629966001/
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 10:34:00 PM »

I ended up buying the Lewitt LCT440 as i liked it price vs performance. I still would have loved the LCT540 Subzero. Name due to it ultra low noise floor.

https://www.lewitt-audio.com/microphones/lct-recording/lct-540-subzero

Really, really worth looking at Debbie. An amazing microphone

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2019, 03:31:21 PM »

I had written a post yesterday which I thought I posted but apparently not.
So I will re type what i remember.....

Thank you all so much for the suggestions - some of which I might not have even considered.... this is starting to feel like a "Careful what you wish for" situation - SO many good choices and most very affordable it seems...

I do realize that a microphone choice is a personal thing and I would like nothing more than to line up 20 - all in my price range - and just go for it checking each and very one of them.....but that probably isn't going to happen.

I also should consider that I won't be the only one using it - my initial consideration  is my own voice but it would be nice to find a mic that not only gives me what I want but could be used well for other applications- acoustic guitar etc...

Anyway, if any 'local' peeps could help me in any way just try out a few mics, I would really appreciate it.
If that doesn't happen, I might go ahead and purchase a few from one source and return the ones I don't want as suggested - I don't like doing that but it might be my only choice...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 01:04:17 PM »

Neko Case apparently prefers an AT4050 for studio vocals over whatever high $$$ Neumanns or anything else she's encountered.  How much do you sound or want to sound like Neko Case?

I like Neko Case - she has a higher voice than me but nice to know she would choose a AT4050 over anything else....

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2019, 11:21:49 AM »

I so want to pull the trigger on a new mic but I have no easy way to compare. I listened to a couple of shoot outs online between the AT 4050 (Casey's suggestion) and U87, C414 etc and it holds up really well for the money .......but I could spend hours and hours listening to OTHER peoples voices, acoustic guitars and drums through all these different mics and still not know how MY voice sounds through them.
Tim, are you still willing to get in contact with your friend in Graham?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2019, 11:21:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.812 seconds with 24 queries.