ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000  (Read 10857 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 02:42:07 PM »

AKG C414, It is an all-around great performer and priced new right around that budget. I got a pair of C214's for beater overheads and they have impressed me, and every time I have used C414's I have been a smiling Bob. Something that can serve dual purpose for you at least.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 03:01:54 PM »

Hi Debbie,

I own and operate a recording studio as my day job (http://www.electricgiraffestudio.com/). Lots of great mics have been suggested above, most of which I own and use, and most of which you could find at any well equipped studio. I would strongly suggest you find a local studio that has a good selection of mics you are interested in and book a few hours. Have them set up as many of these mics at the same time as practical and record you singing into the mics. Take the tracks home and listen to them and then decide which mic YOU think best suits your voice and the material.

BTW - a common trick I use when recording vocals is to hang 3 or 4 classic vocal mics up in a cluster and record each of them to separate tracks. Then during mix down I'll decide which mic best suits the singer (or even blend them). Saves me the time of doing a vocal shoot out. In the old days when everything was direct to tape this wasn't practical, but now we have unlimited tracks, so why not.

Image shows a Perlman TM-1 (U-47 clone), Peluso P-67 (U-67 clone) and an AEA R44 clustered for a vocal take. These 3 mic models have been responsible for tons of huge hits over the years. Sadly they all exceed your budget, but it illustrates the technique.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:12:06 PM by Mark Scrivener »

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 03:09:44 PM »

Oh, and since you do lots of live work, I recently picked up a MBHO MBD 219 C - hand held dynamic mic that sounds stunning. About $350 new. I bought it for live work but tried it out in the studio the other day for a scratch track and was impressed. Here is a youtube video with the lead singer using the MBHO MBD 219 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0TVNrCTsxY

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »

Hi Debbie,

I own and operate a recording studio as my day job (http://www.electricgiraffestudio.com/). Lots of great mics have been suggested above, most of which I own and use, and most of which you could find at any well equipped studio. I would strongly suggest you find a local studio that has a good selection of mics you are interested in and book a few hours. Have them set up as many of these mics at the same time as practical and record you singing into the mics. Take the tracks home and listen to them and then decide which mic YOU think best suits your voice and the material.

^^this

Given the investment you're willing to make and the personal significance of this project to you, this is your best bet.  If for no other reason than being able to lay to rest that nagging "but is this REALLY a good mic for me?" voice inside your head.

I'm coming around to doing something very similar myself for a lot of the same reasons.  And thanks to this thread, i'm likely gonna try to take my own advice.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 03:38:28 PM »

Wow - I really appreciate all the responses guys.....

Steve - the AA mics intrigue me - I left a message for Dave.

Tim - Renting wouldn't work for me. I like to go into my room and sing when I feel like it - no structure.
Thanks for the heads up on the mate with the studio in NC .. Graham is about an hour from me.

Actually as I was typing, Dave got back to me. NICE guy! We had a long chat about all kinds of things - some even were related to music - LOL!!
I am thoroughly interested in the CM47 from our chat.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 03:41:43 PM »

Oh, and since you do lots of live work, I recently picked up a MBHO MBD 219 C - hand held dynamic mic that sounds stunning. About $350 new. I bought it for live work but tried it out in the studio the other day for a scratch track and was impressed. Here is a youtube video with the lead singer using the MBHO MBD 219 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0TVNrCTsxY

I really like this song!!! Mic sounds good....I have too many though and no budget for a new one ( for live use that is).

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »

Wow - I really appreciate all the responses guys.....

Steve - the AA mics intrigue me - I left a message for Dave.

Tim - Renting wouldn't work for me. I like to go into my room and sing when I feel like it - no structure.
Thanks for the heads up on the mate with the studio in NC .. Graham is about an hour from me.

Actually as I was typing, Dave got back to me. NICE guy! We had a long chat about all kinds of things - some even were related to music - LOL!!
I am thoroughly interested in the CM47 from our chat.

The AA mics are great, and so are many others that have been mentioned. The real question is which is best for YOU. Believe me you can spend the rest of your life reading forums, reviews, listening to samples, but the only way you will learn how a mic works with your voice is to try it. More than once I've purchased a mic after tons of research only to find it wasn't quite what I expected, not that it was a bad mic, but not the sound I was looking for.

If you don't have a studio nearby where you can try a bunch of mics in a shoot out, then find a dealer that will let you order a few mics and then return the ones you don't want. Dave at AA makes clones of classic mics. Since you are already talking to him, see if he will let you try a few models and just keep the one you like.

Warren Dent at Zen Pro audio is a great dealer who stocks tons of high end mics. I know for a fact he will let you order a few models and return the ones you don't like. Warren is a great guy and actually close to you (South Carolina). He has a nice studio and sells every mic that has been listed in this thread. I would seriously consider trying to set up a time where you could go to his studio and try a few mics, then drive home with the one you like best.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 04:23:38 PM »

The AA mics are great, and so are many others that have been mentioned. The real question is which is best for YOU. Believe me you can spend the rest of your life reading forums, reviews, listening to samples, but the only way you will learn how a mic works with your voice is to try it. More than once I've purchased a mic after tons of research only to find it wasn't quite what I expected, not that it was a bad mic, but not the sound I was looking for.

If you don't have a studio nearby where you can try a bunch of mics in a shoot out, then find a dealer that will let you order a few mics and then return the ones you don't want. Dave at AA makes clones of classic mics. Since you are already talking to him, see if he will let you try a few models and just keep the one you like.

Warren Dent at Zen Pro audio is a great dealer who stocks tons of high end mics. I know for a fact he will let you order a few models and return the ones you don't like. Warren is a great guy and actually close to you (South Carolina). He has a nice studio and sells every mic that has been listed in this thread. I would seriously consider trying to set up a time where you could go to his studio and try a few mics, then drive home with the one you like best.

Good advice Mike - thanks. I should try some before I make the investment. Maybe a trip to SC is in order.....

Steve Crump

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »

Warren Dent at Zen Pro audio is a great dealer. [/quote]

I will attest to this, I purchased several pcs from Warren Dent years ago and he was great to deal with and has tons of real world experience with the equipment, more than helpful.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 05:22:39 PM »

Good advice Mike - thanks. I should try some before I make the investment. Maybe a trip to SC is in order.....

Conveniently, Zen is only a short 2 hour drive NORTH for me.  I might be taking the same advice.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 05:22:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.