ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000  (Read 10667 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 05:27:25 PM »

Have you sung on a Sennheiser 441 ?  It is a dynamic classic.  I keep one in my kit for special occasions.

I haven't Mal. I must get out more - LOL.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »

Conveniently, Zen is only a short 2 hour drive NORTH for me.  I might be taking the same advice.

I checked - well over 4 for me...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 06:01:30 PM »

I have the tlm103, but I’d like to recommend the shure akg d12vr or the shure sm7b.

The sm7b need a very good preamp since its output is quite low and lesser preamps tends to disclose its inherent noise floor. A cloudlifter will certainly help if your preamp can’t provide enough high gain that is noise free.

The d12vr is a workhorse that sounds really great and can be used for many things other than vox, so it is not a one-trick pony.

A great mic doesn’t need to be $1k...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »

Have you sung on a Sennheiser 441 ?  It is a dynamic classic.  I keep one in my kit for special occasions.

I have a mint 441, last time I used it was for Fleetwood Mac tribute
a few years ago. It really did sound good live!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:18:16 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Rick Earl

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »

A lot of great advise here.

Warren at Zen also has his Clipalator https://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator
which helps narrow down the field a bit.  Warren is very knowledgeable and customer service oriented.

THE AEA R84 is basically the same motor as in the R44, but in a more affordable model. (Less labor to build) still a great sounding mic.  I own a pair of those as well as a 44.  If the ribbons interest you the AEA N series N22 and N8 are also great mics, the N22 being voiced for close work. I also have a KU5A, which so far has been a wonderful mic in all situations (You can tell I am a fan of ribbons).

I am also a firm believer in the Shure KSM32 -  It is a great mic that doesn't get a lot of attention.  Many people think it has to be a German condenser to sound good, but the 32 does the lion's share of work for me when it comes to a LDC.

School is ramping up, so it's a bit busy, but we could probably arrange a time for you to come audition a few once we settle in, we are not too far at it would be a good experience for our student engineers as well.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 08:48:15 PM »

A lot of great advise here.

Warren at Zen also has his Clipalator https://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator
which helps narrow down the field a bit.  Warren is very knowledgeable and customer service oriented.

THE AEA R84 is basically the same motor as in the R44, but in a more affordable model. (Less labor to build) still a great sounding mic.  I own a pair of those as well as a 44.  If the ribbons interest you the AEA N series N22 and N8 are also great mics, the N22 being voiced for close work. I also have a KU5A, which so far has been a wonderful mic in all situations (You can tell I am a fan of ribbons).

I am also a firm believer in the Shure KSM32 -  It is a great mic that doesn't get a lot of attention.  Many people think it has to be a German condenser to sound good, but the 32 does the lion's share of work for me when it comes to a LDC.

School is ramping up, so it's a bit busy, but we could probably arrange a time for you to come audition a few once we settle in, we are not too far at it would be a good experience for our student engineers as well.

Oh yes you are only an hour away from me. That would be great Rick - let me know when would work.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 10:13:19 PM »

The 441 can be a very flattering microphone but it's got a tighter pattern than many singers are accustomed to.  It was a big part of Stevie Nicks live sound, IMHO.

@debbie - the Shure KSM32 or KSM44 (rent-able, watch on FleaBay, etc) are fairly neutral and may be useful live (I like the 32 for "single mic" stuff).  Worth giving a listen.

Sennheiser's MK4 is also a nice mic especially for the price.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 10:46:51 PM »

The 441 can be a very flattering microphone but it's got a tighter pattern than many singers are accustomed to.  It was a big part of Stevie Nicks live sound, IMHO.

Elton John used one for quite a while too, mostly because his wedges were HORRIFYINGLY Loud and the Mic pattern helped achieve some of that.  But yeah, i lasted like 15 seconds in that zone of death doing a "check one two" before i was  done...

/end swerve
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 11:22:51 PM »

Elton John used one for quite a while too, mostly because his wedges were HORRIFYINGLY Loud and the Mic pattern helped achieve some of that.  But yeah, i lasted like 15 seconds in that zone of death doing a "check one two" before i was  done...

/end swerve

I remember seeing a EJ concert video and the entire drum kit was micd with 441's maybe short of the kick.
Never trusted my 441 around anyone hitting things sticks.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 01:58:10 AM »

Question: how well-treated is the recording room?

The reason I ask is this: an untreated room will rule out a lot of candidates. The big old ribbons, side-address large-diaphragm condensers etc where you'll be a foot or two away will all pick up plenty of "room sound", and that's unlikely to be a good thing.

Following that, I'd be looking for mics that you can use fairly close-up. An RE20 or a KSM8 would mean the proximity effect doesn't change as you move.

After those, there's a huge selection of mics that can be used close-up but will include some (varying according to movement) proximity effect. We are, however, pretty much back at "best live vocal mics".

Following that, what about using one of your stage mics? If you've only got SM58s I'd try to find something nicer, but I've found my Beyer TG-X930 records rather well. It should, too - it has the same small-diaphragm condenser capsule as the MC930.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 01:58:10 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.