ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New QSC KS118  (Read 2632 times)

Bob Stone

New QSC KS118
« on: October 01, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/loudspeakers/active-loudspeakers/ks-series-new/ks118/

Just got announced...little bit bigger/heavier, but output and LFE are better...has the new amp module like the KS212c too and apparently a Cardioid mode when using multiples.

Ken Braziel

Re: New QSC KS118
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:16:06 PM »

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/loudspeakers/active-loudspeakers/ks-series-new/ks118/

Just got announced...little bit bigger/heavier, but output and LFE are better...has the new amp module like the KS212c too and apparently a Cardioid mode when using multiples.

They centered and spun the handles the right way, w00t!

Time to get selling on the old ones...

Bob Stone

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 06:34:11 PM »

They centered and spun the handles the right way, w00t!

Time to get selling on the old ones...

Yeah, I noticed that too! Even though they're a bit heavier, this might mean they're WAY easier to handle.

Also, it looks like they used the new way of measured SPL rather than calculated...which might mean these are closer to 2-3db louder than the KW181 (this theory is based off last page of FAQ on the K.2's here: https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/productresources/spk/k.2/q_spk_k2_faq.pdf where they talk about the apples-apples difference of SPL from calc to measured)

*edit*

Actually they address it in a new FAQ:
https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/productresources/spk/ks/ks118/q_spk_ks_118_faq.pdf

Mostly says that it has more headroom, so will be clearer at high SPL.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 02:24:38 AM »

I’ve had great experience with my KW181’s and these look to be a step up from those.
Unfortunately though, they are too heavy for me so are a no go, I was hoping the new replacement for the KW181 would be lighter.

Bob Stone

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 09:58:01 PM »

Got pricing back from my dealer...no change from the KW181.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 10:39:27 PM »

Got pricing back from my dealer...no change from the KW181.

This is great news, but curious to know when QSC, Yamaha, Turbosound, will start implementing a 21" sub?.....
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Bob Stone

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 10:49:30 PM »

This is great news, but curious to know when QSC, Yamaha, Turbosound, will start implementing a 21" sub?.....

Why 21"? You reach a point where the form factor/weight lends itself better to adding more drivers rather than continually making the single driver bigger...or even just using multiple cabinets.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 09:58:07 AM »

I'll be interested to see more real-world head to head reviews of this. The handful I've seen so far basically say that it feels like the KS118 has a bit more grunt, but being the same price as the KW181 brand new basically means you have to decide whether or not you want DSP at the additional cost of a larger footprint and 20lbs of added weight.

Until we get some proper bench tests and measurements this seems like a bit of a DSR/DXR scenario where it's a step up, but not really a worthwhile step up for someone with established inventory in the older model.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »

Size does not equal technique (at least that's what men say to women).

Increasing piston area does not automagically create something from nothing nor does it guarantee any improvement in performance as woofers do not perform without the contributions from their enclosure design.  What increasing the size does, though, is make a "one number specification" look bigger and therefore "better" in the eyes of the ignorant.

And as was mentioned in an earlier thread about 21" woofers, there aren't many designs that sound "musical".  If you're pumping air for an EDM event you have more choices than if you're using them in place of other subs for conventional music performance.

I've heard exactly ONE 21" sub that I though sounded good.  I've heard a couple more that did well as "infra-bass" but which did not otherwise impress me (but I'm not looking at max output at the lowest frequency as my criteria).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.