ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000  (Read 10666 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000
« on: August 15, 2019, 12:41:40 PM »

Those of you who record.....

Recently I have been doing a lot of recording. Chris has been asking for sometime for me to sing and record my favorite songs and I finally started the project in March. I have 10 songs so far. I need to get as much done as I can before I get too old!!!
These are songs that would not normally be associated with me ( I've always been very rock 'n' roll)  - they are old classics really - songs that have significance in my life over the years. 

When I was in bands years ago, we didn't have the sophisticated recording technology available at home the way we do now and even getting a decent demo done was expensive so we did very little recording wise - it was all live work. We were also always so busy too. That was great then but now I have little to show of my work from back then.

As some of you may know my voice was damaged badly some years ago due to major neck surgery and I never thought I'd ever sing again (partly why I went more into SR) but over the last few years, I have worked hard to be able to sing again. Doing backing vocals through the headset with the bands the past 3 or 4 years has helped so much and strengthened my vocal cords.
My voice is deeper than it was and I can't wail those high notes anymore but I choose the songs I sing wisely ....

Anyway I have been using non-expensive mics namely Rode NT1 and an AKG P420 and I have been getting quite decent results.
I'd like to invest in something nicer but cannot afford much more than $1000. I was thinking of going used to be able to get the best I can. I have seen every video I can find online regarding shootouts and reviews but still not sure...

I have been looking at the TLM102 and 103 - so many reviewers say the 103 isn't worth the extra money.
Then I don't want to pay for the name if something else lesser known would be as good or better for less money.

I realize mics are personal to type of voice and that is why I mentioned my voice type earlier. I am contralto really  I suppose.
What should I look out for?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

scottstephens

Re: Best Recording Mic female vocal ≈$1000
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »

Debbie,

As the owner of Blacksmith Recording Studio, let me tell you this:  some People like JBL some like EV, Crown vs. QSC.... Personally I do not like the Neumann 102 or 103
I think they have a hyped high end; an overly hyped high end.  But that might help you if your voice has lowered; how much?????  For a hit over $500 you can get a Shure KSM 32. It is a great all around mic, pretty close to ruler flat and it also makes a really nice overhead for drums! Dual use!  If you have lots of pre amp, I 'd also suggest a Shure SM 7, or an EV RE20, but that thing is BIG and heavy. 

Used Neumanns such as the 107 or TLM 49 can be had for a little less than a grand and those are really good for a lot of things. The 107 is very similar to the Shire KSM 32 in sound.
Good Luck and have fun playing around
Scott

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:22:24 PM »

there's things you can do to the nt1 to make it sound less harsh.
if you search the internet people are talking about the basket and the mesh is the biggest problem with them
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 01:29:54 PM »

Debbie,

If it were me, I'd look at renting a really great microphone rather than purchasing a merely good one. Better yet...get your basics done at home, then go to a decent studio to record your vocals.

That said...you might find a used Neumann U87, or even a TLM 170 for a bit more than your budget, but they are known classics. Older Microtech Geffell mics - especially the M70 - are well worth investigating...newer ones not so much. Brauner mics are really good...so good that they will reveal exactly how crappy your studio room is, so unless you have a spare 50k laying around to fix your room...maybe think carefully.

If you want new, I hear good things from engineer pals about Mojave. The M200 gets quite a lot of love in the mid-price category. Audio Technica have some good mics too...the 4060 valve was not bad for the money. The 4033 found its way into a lot of professional facilities back in the day.

Slightly left field...AEA R84 ribbon mics are gorgeous on vocals, and are the right price...but you might want to try one in your situation. You need a really good pre to make them shine, but they take eq really well.

HTH

Cheers,
Tim

PS. Given you're in North Carolina...I have a mate with a great studio with a good mic selection in Graham, North Carolina that I can put you in touch with, but as I'm not that familiar with the geography, I don't know if that's too far from you.

An analogue brain in a digital world.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 01:30:38 PM »

Neko Case apparently prefers an AT4050 for studio vocals over whatever high $$$ Neumanns or anything else she's encountered.  How much do you sound or want to sound like Neko Case?

Tim Halligan

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »

there's things you can do to the nt1 to make it sound less harsh.

If you mean hitting it with a sledgehammer, then I would agree.

Otherwise, no.

I know I should be patriotic and support the Australian product, but they really are hateful things.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 01:34:53 PM »

Beyer M500 ribbon mics ( I'm reaching back to the mid 80s here ) were far and away the best sounding live vocal mics ever. The fact that I paid for each mic three times constantly sending them back to Beyer for new ribbons was enough of a drawback that I went back to 58s.

Debbie,

Slightly left field...AEA R84 ribbon mics are gorgeous on vocals, and are the right price...but you might want to try one in your situation. You need a really good pre to make them shine, but they take eq really well.

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »

Have you sung on a Sennheiser 441 ?  It is a dynamic classic.  I keep one in my kit for special occasions.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Crump

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 02:11:14 PM »

https://advancedaudio.ca/

Call and talk to Dave, you can't go wrong.

I have had good luck with the CM47, CM49 & CM87.   

Good group of guys...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:21:21 PM by Steve Crump »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 02:26:58 PM »

DPA d:facto.

Not only an excellent live microphone, excellent in the studio as well. 

I've seen it advertised for around $1000 on the ´net.

And no, I'm not joking. I've recorded and mixed one album with this om vocals, both male and female.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 02:26:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.