ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite small/lightweight subs for single person transport?  (Read 5544 times)

Sean Anderson

Re: Favorite small/lightweight subs for single person transport?
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »

Great inputs. Gotta find a way to hear the JTR Captivator 212 - it certainly gets a lot of love. Though it doesn't look like it would work as a base for pole mounts, not that that's a huge deal.

Why not? Mine work fine with poles. I use the rcf poles with the expanding mandrel on each end. Those and the JTR's create a sturdy assembly.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »

Why not? Mine work fine with poles. I use the rcf poles with the expanding mandrel on each end. Those and the JTR's create a sturdy assembly.

Cool. The photos on the JTR site don't show a socket or even where the carry handles are. Great to know they have sockets (M20 threaded or just cups?).

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 04:32:38 PM »

I built a few of Dave Green (GreenBoy) fEarful 12 subs.  Very small.  Very punchy.  Based on Eminence 3012lf.  Like anything small and voiced as a sub, there are limits...

If I were buying, the QSC rear cancelling sub would be high on my list.
I have one in my bass rig, along with a 12/6/1 and that lead me to build two of the fEarful 15 subs. I run them off of a Crown XTi 2002. Think they are 46 lbs each and put out really well. I love them for gigs that I don't need the SRX818SP's that are twice the weight, but not twice the output.

Steve Crump

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 04:35:52 PM »

Cool. The photos on the JTR site don't show a socket or even where the carry handles are. Great to know they have sockets (M20 threaded or just cups?).

Mine came with cups, but I changed them to M20.

Luis_Marquez

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 05:50:26 PM »

[/quote]

Steve,

Mine also have cups. What did you use for M20? Been meaning email Jeff about recommendation.

Mark S, from what I read there are c212pro’s around the states. One of us could give you a road test if close. Mine are active and easy to carry. No metal handles but cut outs

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 06:24:58 PM »

Steve,

Mine also have cups. What did you use for M20? Been meaning email Jeff about recommendation.

Mark S, from what I read there are c212pro’s around the states. One of us could give you a road test if close. Mine are active and easy to carry. No metal handles but cut outs

Thanks Louis. I'm in the San Jose, CA area.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 09:10:47 PM by Mark Scrivener »

Steve Crump

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 07:43:06 PM »

Luis,

I bought those (M20 pole mounts) a couple years ago and just don't remember which manufacturer I ended up with. I went out to my shop hoping that I had kept the packaging, but no luck.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:46:44 PM by Steve Crump »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 03:09:43 AM »

Indeed, these are obviously targeted to home audio applications. There must be some commercial/industrial module suppliers. I can't believe every powered speaker company is designing and building their own amps.

There not.  Take a look at all the plate amps on Alibaba.

Most low end use Chinese CM's.

Certainly JBL, EV, QSC etc.  all design and build there own amps. 

One of the things you have to consider is to get modern performance you have to have processing power.  Setting up complex processing is an iterative process that requires the right tools to measure the sound and program the processor.

There are talented speaker buildrers on here that make some cool, highly performant gear.  Duplicating their efforts requires woodworking skills and time.

I can't believe you can build speakers for less than you can buy them.  The Captivators are like 1100 bucks.  I don't think you could duplicate the performance for twice the price.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2019, 03:32:57 AM »

There are talented speaker buildrers on here that make some cool, highly performant gear.  Duplicating their efforts requires woodworking skills and time.

I can't believe you can build speakers for less than you can buy them.  The Captivators are like 1100 bucks.  I don't think you could duplicate the performance for twice the price.

Scott you hit the nail on the head. It's not the woodworking that concerns me - I have a nice shop and have built all sorts of things from wood, metal, composites, etc. It is the design, and sourcing the right components that gives me pause. Placing a speaker in a nice looking box is easy. Making an awesome sub that is properly matched to a power amp....slightly more complicated.

I thought JTR was direct only. Are they available through dealers at a discount? JTR's website lists the 212 Captivator at $1899 for the powered version.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2019, 03:47:31 PM »

Scott you hit the nail on the head. It's not the woodworking that concerns me - I have a nice shop and have built all sorts of things from wood, metal, composites, etc. It is the design, and sourcing the right components that gives me pause. Placing a speaker in a nice looking box is easy. Making an awesome sub that is properly matched to a power amp....slightly more complicated.

I thought JTR was direct only. Are they available through dealers at a discount? JTR's website lists the 212 Captivator at $1899 for the powered version.

I was speaking of the unpowered.  I have a plethora of power amps.  I think the single Nl4 is easier to run and external power amps represent a better value.  The plate amp on the C212 is expensive.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2019, 03:47:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.