ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite small/lightweight subs for single person transport?  (Read 5549 times)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
Re: Favorite small/lightweight subs for single person transport?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 02:32:27 PM »

Great inputs. Gotta find a way to hear the JTR Captivator 212 - it certainly gets a lot of love. Though it doesn't look like it would work as a base for pole mounts, not that that's a huge deal. The RCF SUB-905AS MKII's look interesting as well. I guess my JBL PRX's are OK, they just don't impress me. Not looking for EDM mega bass, just accurate smooth, flat, "wow that sounds great" response.

Are any of the DIY options self powered? And how do the DIY options compare to the top tier stuff? The impression I get is there are DIY solutions that will get you Danley/Meyer/etc type performance at a fraction of the cost. Is that true? I can do the wood work no problem, but is that really a major cost savings?

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »

^ If you are DIY inclined consider these:

https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/products/lf-driver/18-0/8/18ds115-8

Note B&C's recommended enclosure size for this 18 of 3.53 cubic feet with a port area of 30 square inches and a port length of 9 1/3 inches. I was going to put a couple together for the summer season, but just got too busy. Planning on it this fall.

There is no commercial equivalent. Nothing I know of would be this small and potent. I have total faith in B&C because of their excellent 21" subs and enclosure recommendations that I put together a few years ago. Anyway that's my plan. I'll let everyone know how it works out later this fall.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »

So let's hear it - what are your favorite subs when you have to move them alone in a personal vehicle (no lift gates or box vans)?

Ok, I will get laughed off the this thread but...  My favorite (of what I have) to move is a Bose 502BP sub.  My pair are left over from my wedding band rig in the early 90's.   Yes, they are 90 lbs, however, the handles are as such that I do not have to bend way down to pick them up - I just bend my knees a little, pull up to my torso and move....way easier than moving my single and double 18's.

A note: I only use them for "wedding band work" and they are fine.  Bose are what they are, however, clients (who more often than not) listen with their eyes.  Bose is very recognizable in the US especially for peeps that follow the NFL as all of the coaches for the past several seasons have used Bose "cans".

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 03:59:23 PM »

^ If you are DIY inclined consider these:

https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/products/lf-driver/18-0/8/18ds115-8

Note B&C's recommended enclosure size for this 18 of 3.53 cubic feet with a port area of 30 square inches and a port length of 9 1/3 inches. I was going to put a couple together for the summer season, but just got too busy. Planning on it this fall.

There is no commercial equivalent. Nothing I know of would be this small and potent. I have total faith in B&C because of their excellent 21" subs and enclosure recommendations that I put together a few years ago. Anyway that's my plan. I'll let everyone know how it works out later this fall.

Interesting....would be very curious to see how this turns out. Any links to a cab design? Also, any suggestions for making these self powered? I guess one could buy a rack mount amp, gut it and mount the PCB inside the cab, but that seems like a waste. Where do you find good circuit board level amps for subs? I'd really prefer not to have to drag speaker cables or add power amps to my rack.

Bob Stone

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »

Interesting....would be very curious to see how this turns out. Any links to a cab design? Also, any suggestions for making these self powered? I guess one could buy a rack mount amp, gut it and mount the PCB inside the cab, but that seems like a waste. Where do you find good circuit board level amps for subs? I'd really prefer not to have to drag speaker cables or add power amps to my rack.

What you're looking for is a plate amp...but most are home audio grade.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »

http://www.speakerpower.net/store/c3/Plate_Amplifiers.html
or https://www.hypex.nl/plate-amplifiers/ if lower power is suitable.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 06:44:51 PM »

Ok, I will get laughed off the this thread but...  My favorite (of what I have) to move is a Bose 502BP sub. 

...  the NFL as all of the coaches for the past several seasons have used Bose "cans".

Not only coaches use Bose for cans...

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrappyDesign/comments/9mouuy/well_the_paper_says_it_all/

:) ;) :D ;D

No sorry. Just couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 07:55:13 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 08:46:53 PM »

http://www.speakerpower.net/store/c3/Plate_Amplifiers.html
or https://www.hypex.nl/plate-amplifiers/ if lower power is suitable.

What you're looking for is a plate amp...but most are home audio grade.

Indeed, these are obviously targeted to home audio applications. There must be some commercial/industrial module suppliers. I can't believe every powered speaker company is designing and building their own amps.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 09:06:19 PM »

Indeed, these are obviously targeted to home audio applications. There must be some commercial/industrial module suppliers. I can't believe every powered speaker company is designing and building their own amps.

There is always PowerSoft

Mac

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 07:58:25 AM »

Really depends on what you need them to do.

Today I'm using a pair of EV ZXA subs that I can carry one in each hand.  Small gig and everything has to be carried up steps. Heavy rolling carts and cases not practical, so trailer stays at home and everything I need goes into the back of my Suburban.

A week ago I used a pair of DXS-12 for the same band, and just 3 days ago I used a pair of Yorkville USC1Ps for them for an outdoor show.

I wish I could justify the cost of one pair of higher end portable subs that really sound good.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 07:58:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.