ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why the price secrecy on higher end speakers?  (Read 1854 times)

Matthew Knischewsky

Re: Why the price secrecy on higher end speakers?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 09:19:58 am »

Snip
... HLA system.

Now there's something you don't hear about every day! Takes me back...

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 10:13:59 am »

I don't see the pain in showing your retail prices no matter what the scale. Perhaps they just follow the big industry standard though? If you want a Haas 5 axis milling machine you will not find a price anywhere online. You have to call Haas and set up an interview process to sus out your needs, infrastructure, and logistics in order to customize the order for you. The price tag on such a machine is probably less than a worry for a company that is even considering one. You probably already know the rough cost of one, you likely know the operational costs and know you have to have the talent to drive it.

A line array system or even just high-end PA systems aren't really that complicated when it comes down to the brass tacks. It is a speaker in a box at the end of the day. We already know it is expensive, already have the logistics in mind and I would will a bet the talent is already figured out too. Finding costs on even a basic Martin CD Live system is like pulling teeth and that is their lowest line. L'Acoustics, you better have a dealer in your back pocket if you even want to look at one, let alone get a price tag. Getting a Danley price tag is a little easier on this forum only because we know 5 people who know 5 people who know another 5 people who know where to get one from.

The big issue is that most companies that start small don't really grow quickly into large scale houses. Dave Rat had to build his own speakers to get there. Clair is another example of a company that started small and grew but again had to make their own designs. The larger houses tend to be the ones with smart businessmen running them who can acquire financing to buy what they need and turn an ROI out. A few of the companies I work for have an owner that is very smart and understands how to make money in the business but can barely run a small format analog mixer.  20+ years in and they just know how to sell their company name, it's the guys like you and I that make that investment and sale possible. The talent is very important. And most companies start with nothing more than just talent. I mean let's be realistic, most sound guys aren't really all that smart ;)

Small companies start at the bottom and buy from catalogs and online stores where they can easily extrapolate information about what they intend to buy. It isn't until they have grown quite a bit before finding a dealer is even a need because they want/need something they can only see pictures of a read silly numbers; none of which are a price tag. Can't be that much more expensive right? Then you get the sticker shock when you do finally get a dealer to answer the basic question. Would have saved you a lot of trouble if they just said prices start at $10k per box......... Nobody is going to tear down L'Acoustics wall because everyone knows their price. If anything a little bit of competitiveness may drive more sales. Most companies are sold on a system for two out of three reasons. Function, Sound, and cost. If it sounds good and functions for all your needs, it is probably going to cost too much. If it sounds good and doesn't function 100% for your needs, you probably got it because the cost was good. And if the cost was the big factor and it functions well enough and sounds ok, well you just settled for the cost is all.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Steven Eudaly

• Living the dream.
    • Headline Productions
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 10:38:00 am »

Requiring potential customers to inquire for price also helps manufacturers vet out under qualified users with more money than sense. L'Acoustics/d&b/Meyer/etc have built their reputations on consistency and "good days" for the touring folks. Being choosey about who they sell to helps maintain that.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 06:12:04 pm »

The p12 will be around $2000 each, and the required amp $5-6000-ish...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 06:12:04 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.