ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Challenge: Build a full band system that can fit in an SUV.  (Read 1705 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
Re: Challenge: Build a full band system that can fit in an SUV.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 09:19:13 pm »

Think you can do it? This is a thought exercise but I am seriously considering doing just that. I sold my last trailer a couple years ago! Typical mid-sized SUV. Think CRV, Forerunner, Explorer type.

System must include 4 monitor mixes, and be usable for a typical bar band for maybe a couple hundred meat sponges in the audience. Lets say at least 16 channels on the desk, headless is OK since we are all about saving space!

What gear would you use? How would you package it? What tricks to make load in/out easier?

Hit me!

In my '06 Ford Expedition:
- 1 amp rack (w/ Itech6000, XTI4000, XS4300, TX4P processor, 402C processor)
- 2 Yorkville (reloaded) ES808 subs
- 4 Bose 402's (monitors)
- 2 QSC K8's (monitors)
- 2 speaker poles to mount mid/high cabs on subs
- A&H QU-24 (or QU-16) mixer (w/router, ipad, etc.)
- NL4 cables
- XLR mic cables
- 2 band power stringers
- wall power extension cords
- 2 trees (4 cans per tree) par 38 old school lights
- 2 stands (for above lights)
- 6-8 tripod mic stands
- 10-12 assorted mics (drum mics included)
- drum drop snake
- 2 TX4 mid/high cabs carried on a unit similar (bagged in inclement weather) to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/CURT-500-lbs-Capacity-Basket-Style-Hitch-Cargo-Carrier-18153/205631490?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD25T%7C25-32_TRAILERS%7CNA%7CPLA%7c71700000034127215%7c58700003933021537%7c92700031755124604&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv8nqBRDGARIsAHfR9wDyvTQZyQo5_CFc72PBcV9a5hXkDiHN1hsHTa7nyzsRsV9XAikHsFEaAuCSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
If the weather is really bad (torrential rain) I will forgo one of the subs and put the mid/high cabs inside.

This is my standard club rig. 

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 10:20:04 pm »

Vehicle - I'd look closely at available space amount and shape, and use that as a key criteria for vehicle.  A RAV4 and a Nissan NV2500, if you stretch 'SUV' to mean 'van', both carry gear but there's a huge difference in usable space.  Maybe removable seats in the NV2500, tall ceiling, so it can double as a family hauler.

I specifically chose "SUV" because I know plenty of people carry decent club rigs in Vans. That's not a challenge. I guess Minivan could be considered the same as an SUV, and There is the RAV4, then there's the Suburban. But really, I'm just doing the mental math on how much PA can fit in a reasonably sized family family truckster.

I'm enjoying this! Keep it coming and show more pics! Joris in the BMW Estate might be winning the 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag so far! lol
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Rick Powell

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 10:43:13 pm »

The challenge is as much as possible ;)
One Danley J7 with 2 pole cups installed, 20k4 amp, 2 Global St-132 stands! a little light on sub frequencies, but when you need 140+ dB in a bar... ;D ;D ;D

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 11:23:24 pm »

I specifically chose "SUV" because I know plenty of people carry decent club rigs in Vans. That's not a challenge. I guess Minivan could be considered the same as an SUV, and There is the RAV4, then there's the Suburban. But really, I'm just doing the mental math on how much PA can fit in a reasonably sized family family truckster.

I'm enjoying this! Keep it coming and show more pics! Joris in the BMW Estate might be winning the 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag so far! lol

The OP said SUV, if we expand to a minivan, in the venerable Chevy Venture.  Two KW153's 4 KW 181's 5 - HPR 112's (monitor) - usually an x32 rack but any of the small mixers fit.  Includes cable trunk, power trunk, stands, pre-rigged PAR lights and a tech or two in the front. 

It's a pain in the ass but I can fit two DXR12's, Two STX818's, 5 - Alto SXM112A's - 12" Drum sub - combined power and cable case, small case with M32C and DL32, Blizzard Weather LED lights all fit into my Acadia 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 11:37:28 pm »

Think you can do it? This is a thought exercise but I am seriously considering doing just that. I sold my last trailer a couple years ago! Typical mid-sized SUV. Think CRV, Forerunner, Explorer type.

System must include 4 monitor mixes, and be usable for a typical bar band for maybe a couple hundred meat sponges in the audience. Lets say at least 16 channels on the desk, headless is OK since we are all about saving space!

What gear would you use? How would you package it? What tricks to make load in/out easier?

Hit me!

My 2nd gen Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) can carry the following:
2 QSC KW181
2 Yamaha DZR12
2 Yamaha DXR12
2 Yamaha DXR10
Adjustable speaker poles (sub mount)
Mic stands
QSC Touchmix-16
Two 5-gallon totes containing signal cables, extension cables & strips
2 crates with 6 LED lights & extension cables
Roll around Stanley 3-piece tool box containing mics, cables, stage snake, tools & other miscellaneous

It's filled to the gills!  Even though the Grand Cherokee competes in the mid-size SUV market, I think it's smaller than many of its competitors.  Jeep designed this particular model well to maximize cargo capacity.  The rear seat folds very flat and there's no big lip, dip or other stupid contraption at the rear lift-gate to hinder loading in/out.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 03:18:45 am »

I fit this into a Citroen Berlingo with the rear seats removed:

Bag containing eight mic stands and speaker poles in the space in front of the rear seats (where they would fold into if still fitted).

Two powered 15" subs over this space with a flight cased Soundcraft Si Compact in between.

Six powered speakers RCF ART312A (or similar) stacked neatly. (usually only take four - two for monitors).

An old amp rack case rotated 90 degrees to become a trunk case (wheels on one lid, now the bottom) takes everything else. All cables, mics, DIs, router, iPad, etc. If I am going to be unloading on my own, I leave out the case and pack its contents into bags.

This all fits with nothing much higher than the bottom of the windows.  Gives scope to add a few extras like lights if needed.

The Citroen Berlingo might not be known in the US.  It's a popular European vehicle which can be bought as either a van or a car.

Steve.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:48 am »

How about a VW Golf R? We’re doing a gig at a very small bar next week. It’s a place I’ve run sound for my last band at probably 125 times, but this band hires sound (and I’ve sold my trailer). For this show we couldn’t find sound for under $400, which is just silly for a place that holds maybe 75 peopls, so I’m going to do it with my “small rig”. Admittedly, covering 200 would be a stretch… but I’ve certainly seen worse. If it goes OK we'll do it for our smallest shows and for when a bar calls "last minute" needing to cover a cancellation. I also have a Mitsubishi Outlander, but that's what my wife drives so I tried to cram all this in my R, and it actually fit.

2 – RCF 702AS subs
2 – RCF 310A mains (if all goes well, will probably replace with a couple of RCF 710A and move these to monitors)
2 – JBL PRX 212A monitors - too big and heavy to sit on top of the subs so using for monitors (I have room in the car to switch these out for 10” monitors, and more of them)
1 – Samson 12” powered monitor (owned by the guitar player)
2 – small backpacks with audio and power cabling for each speaker stack
2 – Soundcraft Ui24r
1 – plastic tub of mic cables
1 – plastic tub of power cords, 2 DI boxes, various adapters and specialty cables, gaff tape, cable tester, tools
2 – padded mic cases one for vocal and one for drum mics
6 – microphone stands (4 vocal and 2 to hold tablets)
2 – K&M 21366 speaker poles with lock rings
2 - Chauvet wash lights that attach to a rig point on top of the mains
1 - R8 Rock-n-Roller cart
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:30:50 am by Sean Zurbrick »

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 10:54:47 am »

2-RCF TT 1A
2-JBL VRX918SP
Soundcraft Ui24
Everybody on in-ears
"At first you don't succeed, go back to the drawing board."

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
I've managed to fit this rig onto my 1993 Land Cruiser
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 01:13:54 pm »

2x EAW KF300e in a pullover ATA case
2x EAW SB600e on dollies with covers
12U shock mount rack with amps, 50A distro, EAW MX300i processor, Ui24r mixer
4x Turbosound Milan's for monitors
Mic box, cables and 8 stands

Getting the KF300's up onto the tailgate is a rough lift.

Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealers for all this stuff

Steve Litscher

• 608 Sound and Light
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 01:26:33 pm »

Hit me!

When I had my 2014 Ford Flex, I'd fold all of the seats flat and had a ton of room. We did a hotel gig a few years ago and packed-in:

QTY 6 = DSR112 w/Tuki covers
QTY 1 = FOH rack (6U with X32, VENU360, wireless gear)
QTY 1 = Mic stand bag (K&M)
QTY 1 = Ultimate TS90B stands in bag, speaker cables stored in bag
QTY 1 = Black plastic tote with XLR cables
QTY 2 = JTR C212Pro subs (powered) w/Tuki covers
QTY 1 = Black plastic tote with power cables/drops
QTY 1 = Loose Whirlwind DrumDrop snake for drums/backline
QTY 1 = Gator waterproof 16 mic case
QTY 2 = Gator Slim 88 bags with 2 sets of 4x Blizzard Hotbox & 2 ADJ LT2 stands

The tricks:
- Anything in a bag went in the foot well area under the 2nd row's folded seats, along with the drum drop
- Subs got set with drivers facing roof; mic case and Slim 88 bags on top of subs
- DSR112 got stacked "Tetris" style
- FOH case and black totes went in last

We went all the way to the roof, and used up all of the front-to-back space, but it worked. I miss that Flex...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.