ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Limiter with REALLY long release / leveler? Drawmer?  (Read 534 times)

Josh Billings

Limiter with REALLY long release / leveler? Drawmer?
« on: August 09, 2019, 02:39:20 pm »

So I work with DJs (I know, I know), and some of them really like red lights. I try my best to watch the sound the whole night, but it's tough. I'm considering purchasing a Drawmer SL22 or SP2120 to help tame the guys that want to ride that volume fader the whole night, but I'm wondering if you guys know of anything better or more affordable?

If the Drawmer is my best bet, anybody here a dealer and can get me a deal?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Limiter with REALLY long release / leveler? Drawmer?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 06:59:17 pm »

So I work with DJs (I know, I know), and some of them really like red lights. I try my best to watch the sound the whole night, but it's tough. I'm considering purchasing a Drawmer SL22 or SP2120 to help tame the guys that want to ride that volume fader the whole night, but I'm wondering if you guys know of anything better or more affordable?

Are you allowing them to feed straight into your PA? Or is there a mixer between them and your rig?

I find most digital consoles have a long enough release on the compressors to acheive what you want to do. I commonly do this for background music that might have as much as 20dB of difference in overall level.

I use a shorter attack, maybe 1 second of hold and 5-6 seconds of release time. Then dial in the threshold so it's about 10-15dB into compression for the louder stuff. When a softer song comes on the slow release gives you that volume back. Keeping the release time so slow means your dynamic music isn't affected. It's still punchy.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Josh Billings

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 07:10:12 pm »

Are you allowing them to feed straight into your PA? Or is there a mixer between them and your rig?

I find most digital consoles have a long enough release on the compressors to acheive what you want to do. I commonly do this for background music that might have as much as 20dB of difference in overall level.

I use a shorter attack, maybe 1 second of hold and 5-6 seconds of release time. Then dial in the threshold so it's about 10-15dB into compression for the louder stuff. When a softer song comes on the slow release gives you that volume back. Keeping the release time so slow means your dynamic music isn't affected. It's still punchy.

I was hoping for a MEGA release time of like 30 seconds-a minute. I don't want a quiet part of the song to trigger the release and 15 db of gain coming back up just so when it kicks back in it's super quiet.

Josh Billings

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 07:33:36 pm »

I was hoping for a MEGA release time of like 30 seconds-a minute. I don't want a quiet part of the song to trigger the release and 15 db of gain coming back up just so when it kicks back in it's super quiet.

Josh Billings

How about a small DSP like a Xilica QR?
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:29:18 pm »

I used to have great luck with a pair of dBX 160As for Djs, placed  in-line feeding my desk.

Infinity:1 wont let them get any louder, and -1:1 will bring them down by 1db for every dB they exceed the threshold, which came in quite handy on several occasions.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 02:25:45 am »

The SP2120 works great. I am a dealer. Happy to get you a quote if you want.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, VTC, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, OnPoint Audio, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Road Ready, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, Whirlwind, On-Stage, more...

John A Chiara

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 10:00:46 am »

Aphex Compellor/Dominator.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 10:00:46 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.