ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace ETX woofers with non-EV brand?  (Read 1198 times)

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
Replace ETX woofers with non-EV brand?
« on: August 13, 2019, 11:15:34 AM »

This would be my second time replacing my EV-ETX 15P woofers. They're rubbing again. I don't let them hit the limiter and it still happens. One tweeter went and was replaced. The electronics in another were replaced - but all with genuine parts.

I might be done with genuine parts. These would have to be sturdy woofers. Maybe they can be even better woofers, given the EV ones don't last.

Has anyone put other brands' drivers in these? Recommendations (other than stop breaking them)?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Replace ETX woofers with non-EV brand?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 11:30:25 AM »

Any chance you could identify the cause of the rubbing, and fix that?
Is it just a slight coil scrape, or has the coil seized in the gap?

I can imagine that if they're hammering away in a hot and humid environment, the spider and surround will let things sag faster than usual. In that case, rotating the woofer every few months might just save them.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:02:11 PM »

Any chance you could identify the cause of the rubbing, and fix that?
Is it just a slight coil scrape, or has the coil seized in the gap?

I can imagine that if they're hammering away in a hot and humid environment, the spider and surround will let things sag faster than usual. In that case, rotating the woofer every few months might just save them.

Chris

Let me try that, first. They are almost exclusively used outdoors, and once a month, right by the ocean.

The symptom I hear is distortions in lower, sustained bass .. nobody notices a single hit to a kick or a pluck of a bass string sounding bad, but when I send electronic / dance music their way or during movies (I do "drive-ins") they distort..

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »

Are these being used in conjunction with subs or by themselves?
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 12:42:44 PM »

Are these being used in conjunction with subs or by themselves?

Sometimes with subs, sometimes without. I first noticed it with subs using the crossover settting for the ETX18's they were paired with. Then, I really noticed the issue using them sans-subs for an event that featured both a cuban salsa act and a breakdancer. The distorted bass was only obvious during breakdancing, though I was well below limits. It was for a small audience.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 01:40:17 PM »

Sometimes with subs, sometimes without. I first noticed it with subs using the crossover settting for the ETX18's they were paired with. Then, I really noticed the issue using them sans-subs for an event that featured both a cuban salsa act and a breakdancer. The distorted bass was only obvious during breakdancing, though I was well below limits. It was for a small audience.
Reason I ask is that EVs of any flavor are pretty well-known at all the repair shops around here for coming in with blown woofers. The one thing they share in common is being used by themselves without subs. So long as you're not trying to get crowd-pleasing levels of bass out of the tops alone, you should be fine, but it only takes one instance of being overdriven with these things (and you can't always go by the meters on the cabinets).

Since you seem to be treating them right I'd lean towards Chris' prognosis of nature taking its toll, but pulling the driver to inspect would probably tell you for sure.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »

Long shot here. Are you sure that the mounting surface is flat and that the mounting screws are not being overtightened? Either of these conditions could distort the driver's frame enough to cause rubbing. I've seen it happen, although not with newer drivers. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.