ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED - QL1 Dante Static IP  (Read 9416 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
SOLVED - QL1 Dante Static IP
« on: August 12, 2019, 06:43:41 PM »

Hi all!

I'm trying to set a static IP address for the built-in Dante interface (currently in switched mode because I'm not running a redundant network) of a QL1 but I'm having no luck. There doesn't appear to be a way to set it on the console, and setting it from Dante Controller never seems to "take". I don't see any mentions of it in the QL1 manual. Is there something I'm missing?

(I'd like to spare everyone the trouble of explaining to me why I shouldn't do this. My setup involves a laptop with DVS and other show control software and no DHCP server. I'm well-versed in networking generally and I'm Dante Level 3 certified, so I'm aware of the pitfalls of static IPs; I just don't know the QL1 that well.)

Thanks!

-Russ
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:01:05 PM by Russell Ault »

David Jameson

• SR Forums
Re: QL1 Dante Static IP
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »

I looked everywhere on a QL5 to try and just find the Dante IP address and accidentally found it the other day. Under setup and network there is a tab for Dante. I didn’t try to change it but assume you can.  Not sure if required but I had my laptop running DVS connected.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 08:54:48 PM »

I looked everywhere on a QL5 to try and just find the Dante IP address and accidentally found it the other day. Under setup and network there is a tab for Dante. I didn’t try to change it but assume you can.  Not sure if required but I had my laptop running DVS connected.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Is it next to the tabs for Mixer control and Device control?  I wanted to answer this, but i couldn't remember where it was and i don't have a mixer here to look at.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 09:59:41 PM »

Is it next to the tabs for Mixer control and Device control?  I wanted to answer this, but i couldn't remember where it was and i don't have a mixer here to look at.

According to the CL/QL Series System Design Guide, it IS the 'Device Control' tab.
The labels are odd. 'Mixer control' tab sets the IP address for that lone non-Dante ethernet connection (used for Editor and StageMix control), and 'Device control' tab sets the IP address for the Primary Dante connection. The Redundant Dante connection can only have its IP address set in Dante Controller.

--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:27:14 PM »

Hi all!

I'm trying to set a static IP address for the built-in Dante interface (currently in switched mode because I'm not running a redundant network) of a QL1 but I'm having no luck. There doesn't appear to be a way to set it on the console, and setting it from Dante Controller never seems to "take". I don't see any mentions of it in the QL1 manual. Is there something I'm missing?

(I'd like to spare everyone the trouble of explaining to me why I shouldn't do this. My setup involves a laptop with DVS and other show control software and no DHCP server. I'm well-versed in networking generally and I'm Dante Level 3 certified, so I'm aware of the pitfalls of static IPs; I just don't know the QL1 that well.)

Thanks!

-Russ

In order for it to “take” in Dante controller you must fill in all the fields. If you don’t have a gateway or whatever just use 0.0.0.0. I just had the issue with it not taking yesterday.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

brian maddox

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 09:27:28 PM »

According to the CL/QL Series System Design Guide, it IS the 'Device Control' tab.
The labels are odd. 'Mixer control' tab sets the IP address for that lone non-Dante ethernet connection (used for Editor and StageMix control), and 'Device control' tab sets the IP address for the Primary Dante connection. The Redundant Dante connection can only have its IP address set in Dante Controller.

That actually makes some degree of sense since the "device control" [usually Shure RF microphone information and control] aspects "ride in" on the Dante Primary network.  But, it's also pretty non-intuitive.  Interesting...

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 11:24:15 AM »

That actually makes some degree of sense since the "device control" [usually Shure RF microphone information and control] aspects "ride in" on the Dante Primary network.  But, it's also pretty non-intuitive.  Interesting...
I think it's intuitive.
You typically would only set that address if you need to change it because of a device you're controlling. i.e. a Shure Dante product.
If it said "Dante Address", that would be correct, but less intuitive because the typical user would never need to change the Dante Address unless they were controlling a device, and the "Dante Address" can be 2 addresses if you're running redundant, but there's only selection for 1 (the primary).
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »

RIO's and such are controlled over the same cable as running Dante, side by side information with Dante. So it seems like in the labeling they focused more on that. For a Shure Dante product I believe you set it to "Yamaha mode" and off you go?

Aram Piligian

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 02:05:26 PM »

Just to clarify--I'm sitting in front of a QL5 right now--the IP address shown "for device control" is NOT the same address as the one in Dante Controller for the desk.  There's no way to change the Dante IP addresses (primary or secondary) from the console.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 02:07:33 PM by Aram Piligian »

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 03:38:26 PM »

Just to clarify--I'm sitting in front of a QL5 right now--the IP address shown "for device control" is NOT the same address as the one in Dante Controller for the desk.  There's no way to change the Dante IP addresses (primary or secondary) from the console.

Thanks Aram, I thought I was going crazy.

In order for it to “take” in Dante controller you must fill in all the fields. If you don’t have a gateway or whatever just use 0.0.0.0. I just had the issue with it not taking yesterday.

Okay, I thought I had tried that using a made-up gateway and DNS server in the same subnet, but I'll try it with zeros instead and see if that works.

Thanks!

-Russ

brian maddox

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 04:07:39 PM »

Are you able to set those to static using Dante Controller?  I feel like i've done that before but i don't remember specifically and the OP said it wasn't taking it.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Aram Piligian

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 06:43:34 PM »

Yup, just tested it.  And if I didn't fill in DNS and Gateway, it just auto-populated them with zeros.  Wonder if it's a Dante Controller version thing. 

Are you able to set those to static using Dante Controller?  I feel like i've done that before but i don't remember specifically and the OP said it wasn't taking it.

brian maddox

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 06:45:19 PM »

Yup, just tested it.  And if I didn't fill in DNS and Gateway, it just auto-populated them with zeros.  Wonder if it's a Dante Controller version thing.

Could be.  i'm assuming you're using the latest greatest DC with the new graphics and the updater thingy....

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 03:05:46 AM »

[...] Wonder if it's a Dante Controller version thing.

Hillarious; never thought to update Dante Controller, that's on me. Either way, filling in 0.0.0.0 for DNS server and Gateway did get the settings to finally take.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

-Russ

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »

This raises a question. We're often in the position of having to fill in a dummy gateway address to make some configuration app happy. Is there a standard or proper value to use? One least likely to cause a problem? Scott?
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »

This raises a question. We're often in the position of having to fill in a dummy gateway address to make some configuration app happy. Is there a standard or proper value to use? One least likely to cause a problem? Scott?

If you must choose, all 0's is the correct choice. It means 'no gateway.' This is why that is the default. Dante doesn't work with gateways (unless you have DDM).

. . .  'Device control' tab sets the IP address for the Primary Dante connection.

Almost. Dante Primary and Secondary can only be set in Controller, because that is the Audinate Brooklyn II card.
'Device Control' is the Yamaha's internal interface, for the purpose of injecting control onto the Dante subnet. The document is clear that there are three interfaces involved, and how each one must be set. It basically suggests device control should be on the Dante Primary subnet.

In my experience some Dante devices seem to require being connected directly to them and/or powered cycling to take IP address changes. Whether you fill or don't fill DNS and gateway does not make a difference.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »

Yes 0.0.0.0 is a null route.  That would be correct.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.