ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking about upgrading my mixing desk - AKA talk me out of a QSC TM30  (Read 5328 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Thinking about upgrading my mixing desk - AKA talk me out of a QSC TM30
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 07:51:50 PM »

I and others have had bad luck using the WiFi dongle.  You will be much happier (and more secure) using a wireless router.  I'm actually surprised the "dongle" has worked well on you TM16.  I'm in agreement that the analog gain trims are problems.  I use a TM16 for small events, but if there are multiple acts I end up changing a lot of gain setting, even for acts that all use the same backline gear.  That not a problem when every act is throw and go, but if you have a headliner that has performed a sound check early and then a series of acts -wow!
The digital gain adjustment just isn't adequate.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 12:23:35 PM »

That still requires some kind of out-of-box control. If the network fails on an X32 Rack, you can still run the console (painfully) from the front of the box. If the network fails on an XR (or UI, etc.), which I've seen happen, then you're totally out of options.

-Russ

That's why you want to have a second mixer, router, iPad-ish thing, and cable present at the gig, so no matter which part of your network fails you have an option.

As I've said many times before, what we get for the money with this gear is multiples of what we spent the same money on six years ago, and the cost of a second kit, together with the cost of the first set, is still less than in the recent old days.

They don't take up much space, either.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »

I and others have had bad luck using the WiFi dongle.  You will be much happier (and more secure) using a wireless router.  I'm actually surprised the "dongle" has worked well on you TM16.  I'm in agreement that the analog gain trims are problems.  I use a TM16 for small events, but if there are multiple acts I end up changing a lot of gain setting, even for acts that all use the same backline gear.  That not a problem when every act is throw and go, but if you have a headliner that has performed a sound check early and then a series of acts -wow!
The digital gain adjustment just isn't adequate.

Yeah, I use a wireless router for most of my gigs - it lives in my amp rack. The TM16 usually sat on top of the amp rack, and was connected via WiFi (QSC-supplied dongle) to the router which was usually only a couple of feet away, and in direct line of sight.

The TM30 doesn't seem to work with that USB WiFi dongle, so I'll be cabling it to my router and doing it properly.

I find the analogue trims acceptable, but I did learn on all-analogue gear. For me, the TouchMix desks retain quite a lot of analogue familiarity while still having the digital feature set. It's a compromise I'm happy with, but I can fully understand why others might not like them as much as I do.

First day out with the TM30 was today - recording a choir in a cathedral. Made use of the USB output feed to send a backup recording straight to a laptop, while also writing to a USB hard drive.

Mics were as follows:
- 2x Beyer MC930 around 1/3rd of the way from the choir to the back of the room, spaced apart
- Beyer MC930 & SE Electronics VR1 as a mid-side array, positioned centre and a little closer to the choir for a bit more direct sound for the "mid".

Being able to split inputs to two channels makes setting up the mid-side thing nice and easy - the TM16 would've needed a lot more work.
Initial impressions are good, but I'll know more when I've got things hooked up to some nice speakers to do the mixing.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »

I'm not sure if it still relevant, but the RCF M20 offering seems quite interesting, especially with the direct tethering with Android tablet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.