ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethernet FOH Monitor box thingy. What is the name of it?  (Read 5821 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Ethernet FOH Monitor box thingy. What is the name of it?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2019, 10:42:10 PM »

If you're running an ethernet line already, simply running another ethernet line alongside it would be a better solution, since sending random signals down extra pairs of an ethernet line is a recipe for disaster!

That seems a bit extreme. Ethernet is transformer isolated and uses roughly line-level-audio voltages. I feel like you'd have to be doing something pretty silly to cause permanent damage either way.

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2019, 11:51:45 PM »

If you have to run CAT5/6/7 in order to be fully functional, I submit that "wireless" mixing is a fraud. :o ::)

Yes, I use tablets and wireless stuff but not at showtime.  Most of my work is with events, venues and clients that understand there will be an FOH position and that cables will be run to that place from the stage or other presentation areas.  Long ago I accepted that cables have weight, size, and some inconvenience, but those are negated by the relatively robust nature of the medium.

For those that work in combat audio, where everyone wants sound but it has to invisible and have no mass, you have my sympathy.

Wireless control of mixers is a fun, fine, and wonderful thing until you discover that *control* is all you've got.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2019, 11:51:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.