ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Balanced audio over existing RG59 cable  (Read 188 times)

MSI

Balanced audio over existing RG59 cable
« on: August 11, 2019, 05:20:03 pm »

I have a client who needs audio sent from a ceiling projector to the sound board. Running XLR is not an option because of a concrete barrier and wireless will be unreliable. The output of the projector is 3.5mm stereo line level audio. There are currently numerous RG59 cables still installed since the days of composite and component video going from the projector to the AV rack. They run through the concrete in electrical conduit. If the audio sent as unbalanced through the RG59 is too noisy can I use a balun or DI Box to convert the 3.5mm output of the projector to 2 stereo balanced XLR L/R audio connectors and then adapt to a couple of RG59 for ch1 and a couple of RG59 for channel 2, using 4 cables in total, and then adapt the RG59 pairs to a couple of XLR Connectors into the sound board? Does balanced audio require shielded twisted pairs or can they be separate shielded coax cables? I could use s/pdif adapters but the fewer powered boxes the better in my opinion. Also, I think it's less than a 200' cable run.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:26:51 pm by MSI »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Balanced audio over existing RG59 cable
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 06:37:10 pm »

I have a client who needs audio sent from a ceiling projector to the sound board. Running XLR is not an option because of a concrete barrier and wireless will be unreliable. The output of the projector is 3.5mm stereo line level audio. There are currently numerous RG59 cables still installed since the days of composite and component video going from the projector to the AV rack. They run through the concrete in electrical conduit. If the audio sent as unbalanced through the RG59 is too noisy can I use a balun or DI Box to convert the 3.5mm output of the projector to 2 stereo balanced XLR L/R audio connectors and then adapt to a couple of RG59 for ch1 and a couple of RG59 for channel 2, using 4 cables in total, and then adapt the RG59 pairs to a couple of XLR Connectors into the sound board? Does balanced audio require shielded twisted pairs or can they be separate shielded coax cables? I could use s/pdif adapters but the fewer powered boxes the better in my opinion. Also, I think it's less than a 200' cable run.

Name. Fix. Please.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.