ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prx835 issues.  (Read 2044 times)

Donald Rush

Prx835 issues.
« on: August 11, 2019, 04:40:29 PM »

Hello all. 

New member here.  Been scouring and searching the web for answers.   Came across a couple links to this site so i figured id give yall a shot.  1st....some history

My name is don rush and I am the owner operator of bazz sound in maryland. I am a one man operation, and i fell into to sound game by accident.  I originally bought a small system from a gentleman that was getting out of the sound biz.  The original system consisted of an x32 compact, ev zlx tops elx subs.  I have since been building the system up with a full jbl FOH and am using my ev zlxs as my monitors.

Last year i started replacing my foh speakers with JBL.  I first went with the prx535sp, then replaced my subs with prx 718xlf.    I have 1 srx 828sp and another on the way.  I also picked up a pair of prx835w.  Its these speakers that I have questions about. 

All of my speaker purchases have been second hand.  Yes...i know the dangers of buying second hand equipment, but my original reason for purchasing the system was for my own band, and not necessarily to start a sound company,  But i digress

A couple months ago i bought the prx835's and the fist time i used them, i noticed they did not have the power or clarity of my 535s.  So i attempted to do the v2 upgrade, but the system says its upgraded already.  Except i dont have the added features that the v2 software offers. 

I had a sound gig last night and i ran my 835s with my 718s in A small club and no matter what i did. I couldn't get the vocals to really cut through in the mix without clipping the input.  I run subs on aux setup out of my x32, and i have a 100mhz low cut to the mains.  I have tried running single input,  running my inputs into both channels using a y-splitter, using a high shelf in The onboard dsp, i just cant get them to sing.  As soon as i get the vocals to come through clearly, they start i lnput clipping like crazy.  They sound phenominal when they are cutting, but they are clipping.  So in between the 1st and second set, i pulled them and replaced with my 535s, and i actually had to turn the volume down.  The 535s cut so much better, the vocals are clean, clear, and i am not pushing them nearly as hard as my 835s. 

I have contacted jbl and they suggested i take them to a local jbl repair shop.  I called my only pro repair shop in the area, and they cant see them for 4 to 6 weeks and they dont do firmware issues, only repairs. 

Has anyone ever had any issues like this?  Is this normal?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Prx835 issues.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 06:08:05 PM »

Turn the master all the way up and the input won't clip. These things are plenty loud, I know that for a fact. If you're clipping the input and not the output side, you can play with the gain structure of the speaker a bit to work it the other way. I suggest being sure the master volume is all the way up. If you can't get what you need doing that, then you need to figure something else out. My other feeling is that if you can't get the vocals above the band knowing what the SRX can do, then you have way bigger problems.

The SRX has a different input sensitivity than other speakers do. They require a bit more drive level to get them working. Turning the master volume up makes it work more like we are used to.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Donald Rush

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »

These are the prx,  not the srx.  I have the master pegged in the prx connect ap.  I am not clipping the output, in fact the output never really gets to 3/4 or above using the prx connect ap display. 

Like i said before, the v2 software does not seem to be apllying, as the things that were changed with the v2 software, (low/hi input buttons, flat tuning preset)  are not showing up in the ap.  However, when i hold the input button down for 2 seconds, the input light starts to blink and the input level is increased considerably.  Then when i hold it down for 2 seconds again it switches to mic level and the input spikes as it nkrmally would.  So it appears that my speakers have low/hi and mic level anyways.  However the issue still remains in low or hi mode.  I cannot get the volume and clarity from my 835s that i get with my 535s no matter what input settings i use. 

ap
Turn the master all the way up and the input won't clip. These things are plenty loud, I know that for a fact. If you're clipping the input and not the output side, you can play with the gain structure of the speaker a bit to work it the other way. I suggest being sure the master volume is all the way up. If you can't get what you need doing that, then you need to figure something else out. My other feeling is that if you can't get the vocals above the band knowing what the SRX can do, then you have way bigger problems.

The SRX has a different input sensitivity than other speakers do. They require a bit more drive level to get them working. Turning the master volume up makes it work more like we are used to.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »

Whoops, I saw 835 and SRX stuck in my head. Sorry about that. I can't see how the smaller speaker would have more output over the 835. I would perhaps try and re-flash the firmware. It seems to me that you are not getting full output. The input is clipping because you are sending enough drive level to do so, the speaker has turned the master down in one way or another otherwise the output would clip. The output should clip well before the input does. It could be a setting.

As to your input gain settings, I couldn't say? If there are three options I would go with the one that has the lowest gain. That should be the line-level setting. I am not 100% familiar with the new PRX stuff. You can't turn up the master level with the APP? I don't think the speaker is bad, I think a set is not being utilized. Try reflashing the firmware to see if that gets you the features your missing.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.