ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 - Getting dated or still a good idea?  (Read 15189 times)

Robert Lofgren

Re: X32 - Getting dated or still a good idea?
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2019, 11:44:03 AM »

According to a recent article in a german magazine some of your dreams may become true  8). According to that article a brand new v4 firmware for the x/m is in the works.

True or false, who knows  ;)

The only other major upgrades I'd like to see is eliminate the block of 8 routing limitation and add more channel capabilities, but other than that, it's pretty awesome for small to medium sized events.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »

Each aes50 node adds 3 samples of latency. You need two nodes to complete an aes50 link.

The only limit on AES50 jumps I can think of would be based on the latency budget (since each jump will add a very small amount of latency). Otherwise PCM data is just data, and it gets re-encoded every time, so there shouldn't really be any cumulative degradation.

-Russ

Daniel Levi

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2019, 04:17:40 PM »

According to a recent article in a german magazine some of your dreams may become true  8). According to that article a brand new v4 firmware for the x/m is in the works.

True or false, who knows  ;)

Well naturally no update can solve the blocks of 8 limitation, unless, of course, the switching is done on an FPGA and the code for that is changed but I guess that's highly unlikely.
Whatever, it just shows how much they got right in the first place that with just software updates they have managed to keep it not only relevant but still popular. 

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2019, 06:03:07 PM »

Neither the X/M nor the P does 96k....

Btw, I see many people saying that “the x/m stock reverb.....”. Are you talking about all of the different reverbs you can select from or some specific one?

The different reverbs available have quite different characters to them. If I were to relay some feedback about the reverbs, what is it you guys think is lacking and could be improved upon? I might be able to give your thoughts a voice here. There are hardware restrictions of course, but other than that...

To me it seems like all of the reverbs in the X32/M32 are basically the same with some slightly different parameters that you can use in some of them (just slight differences) in the differently named ones. But to me they all sound like they all use the exact same algorithm. My basic complaint (that I was able to find and change) was a weird tail to the reverb that seemed to have a repeat in it. Whenever I used them live it seemed like I kept turning it up to hear it do its think and when I finally did hear it, it was too much. And I am one for subtly reverb. Unless the song calls for it I usually don’t really push a reverb alot. I did a Band last night that was doing music from Woodstock and that era and some of those songs like “Pinball Wizard” and “White Rabbit” call for a lot of reverb in some places.

I am pretty happy with the settings I have come up with that are the ones that I shared and Alan put in a drop box to share. Again, thank you Alan.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2019, 03:31:23 AM »

Can you come up with a setting that exaggerates the ‘repeats’?

I’ll ask them if the reverbs are indeed based upon the same algorithm and why the reverbs could be perceived as ‘basically the same’.

To me it seems like all of the reverbs in the X32/M32 are basically the same with some slightly different parameters that you can use in some of them (just slight differences) in the differently named ones. But to me they all sound like they all use the exact same algorithm. My basic complaint (that I was able to find and change) was a weird tail to the reverb that seemed to have a repeat in it. Whenever I used them live it seemed like I kept turning it up to hear it do its think and when I finally did hear it, it was too much. And I am one for subtly reverb. Unless the song calls for it I usually don’t really push a reverb alot. I did a Band last night that was doing music from Woodstock and that era and some of those songs like “Pinball Wizard” and “White Rabbit” call for a lot of reverb in some places.

I am pretty happy with the settings I have come up with that are the ones that I shared and Alan put in a drop box to share. Again, thank you Alan.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2019, 03:46:18 AM »

Those Germans are smart guys and all audio enters the fpga before the dsp.

This is what the article says:

“X32 Firmware 4.0
2019 dann wird die Firmware 4.0 für das X32 entwickelt. zu den Verbesserungen gehört beispielsweise, dass die starre Kopplung in 8er-Blöcken im Routing aufgelöst wird.”

Google translate version:

“In 2019, firmware 4.0 will be developed for the X32.  One of the improvements, for example, is that the rigid coupling is broken up in blocks of eight in the routing.”

This is from:

https://www.production-partner.de/story/behringer-x32-das-volksmischpult

The article itself is old but they update it from time to time with new stuff :-)

Major updates for a 7+ years old mixer! Who would have thought...?

Well naturally no update can solve the blocks of 8 limitation, unless, of course, the switching is done on an FPGA and the code for that is changed but I guess that's highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 04:30:32 AM by Robert Lofgren »

Daniel Levi

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2019, 08:52:37 AM »

Those Germans are smart guys and all audio enters the fpga before the dsp.

This is what the article says:

“X32 Firmware 4.0
2019 dann wird die Firmware 4.0 für das X32 entwickelt. zu den Verbesserungen gehört beispielsweise, dass die starre Kopplung in 8er-Blöcken im Routing aufgelöst wird.”

Google translate version:

“In 2019, firmware 4.0 will be developed for the X32.  One of the improvements, for example, is that the rigid coupling is broken up in blocks of eight in the routing.”

This is from:

https://www.production-partner.de/story/behringer-x32-das-volksmischpult

The article itself is old but they update it from time to time with new stuff :-)

Major updates for a 7+ years old mixer! Who would have thought...?

And this is one of the reasons for it's success, they have realised that the product is good enough to start off with that rather than releasing a new model it is better just to take the current product as fas as possible with FREE software updates.
This creates confidence in the product and means people will still buy it despite it's relatively long time in the market because to Behringer not only is it still a current product but still being updated, add to the fact that so many people have one (the best selling digital mixer ever I believe) makes it a sound investment.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2019, 09:39:05 AM »

Can you come up with a setting that exaggerates the ‘repeats’?

I’ll ask them if the reverbs are indeed based upon the same algorithm and why the reverbs could be perceived as ‘basically the same’.

That is an interesting request, try to find how to make it do (exaggerate) what I don’t like. When I read what you said it made a lot of sense to me and I am kind of surprised that I don’t think I ever approached it that way. I do that with EQ all of the time, boost and sweep to make the problem stick out and then cut the offending frequency. I am not sure when I will have the time to try this with the console. I know it doesn’t make a difference that I am using Midas M32 mixers because the effects are exactly the same as the X32.

I have a show on an M32 (the console I have been using lately) tomorrow and if I have some free time during setup (it sometimes happens) I will see if I can play with it a little bit. When I came up with the settings I like (I had some help from people suggesting changes on the forums) I used an outboard reverb as a comparison and went back and forth listening. I had the console setup so I could hit 2 mutes next to each other (so one would turn on as the other would turn off) and I would do it without looking so I couldn’t tell which one I was listening to. I hit them a lot of times in a row so I would lose my place. And I got it so they sounded so similar I couldn’t tell the difference. I did this while listening to some dry vocal tracks and some percussion tracks. I could really hear when they weren’t’ the same when I was listening to a slowly repeated snare drum hit. That is the track I will listen to, to see if I can make that repeat that I don’t like exaggerated. But if I am remembering correctly it is a combination of a few parameters not just one. 

Thank you for your help and the suggestions.

Regarding a possible V4 firmware update, would it make sense to start a new thread asking for people’s requests? I know that some times that becomes a place where the requests of some people are actually something that can be done on the present firmware and they are then told how to do that. If no one beats me to it I will start that new thread. It may take me a little while because I will first look to see what I have requested over the years for digital console updates. 

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2019, 01:23:32 PM »

Since the reverbs are based upon vintage gear I’ll try to see, when I get your presets, how they correspond to the Waves equivalents. I’d love to own the real ones, but money (and space) is an issue  8).

Sure, go ahead and create a new thread and link to the article, as I did here, and vote for enhancements. I know that their feature requests list is quite long already and I don’t know what might be included or not.

But as always, since it hasn’t come straight from the horse’s mouth this time there is always a slight risk that such a release may become delayed or even discarded depending on weather and wind (or whatever the saying is).

That is an interesting request, try to find how to make it do (exaggerate) what I don’t like. When I read what you said it made a lot of sense to me and I am kind of surprised that I don’t think I ever approached it that way. I do that with EQ all of the time, boost and sweep to make the problem stick out and then cut the offending frequency. I am not sure when I will have the time to try this with the console. I know it doesn’t make a difference that I am using Midas M32 mixers because the effects are exactly the same as the X32.

I have a show on an M32 (the console I have been using lately) tomorrow and if I have some free time during setup (it sometimes happens) I will see if I can play with it a little bit. When I came up with the settings I like (I had some help from people suggesting changes on the forums) I used an outboard reverb as a comparison and went back and forth listening. I had the console setup so I could hit 2 mutes next to each other (so one would turn on as the other would turn off) and I would do it without looking so I couldn’t tell which one I was listening to. I hit them a lot of times in a row so I would lose my place. And I got it so they sounded so similar I couldn’t tell the difference. I did this while listening to some dry vocal tracks and some percussion tracks. I could really hear when they weren’t’ the same when I was listening to a slowly repeated snare drum hit. That is the track I will listen to, to see if I can make that repeat that I don’t like exaggerated. But if I am remembering correctly it is a combination of a few parameters not just one. 

Thank you for your help and the suggestions.

Regarding a possible V4 firmware update, would it make sense to start a new thread asking for people’s requests? I know that some times that becomes a place where the requests of some people are actually something that can be done on the present firmware and they are then told how to do that. If no one beats me to it I will start that new thread. It may take me a little while because I will first look to see what I have requested over the years for digital console updates.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2019, 08:15:19 AM »

Prior to this thread being started, I had already decided to sell my X32 Producer and S16 due to lack of "band" work.

Realizing this would leave me with only one digital mixer, I've been shopping around intently for a back up mixer. Since I may need it for the two bands I'm in, I still need at least 13 inputs to get by so I'm back to needing a second 16 channel mixer.

This process has really opened my eyes again about how feature rich the X32 line is. Something as simple as the ability to trigger a gate or compressor from a different source can't be found on any 16 channel mixer in my budget, maybe even any 16 channel mixer out there. That's just one of many feature I'm giving up.

Starting to realize that if I sell off my paid for x32 gear now, it's  going to be a no turning back moment for me. I'd have to live with the limitations of the other available 16-20 inputs mixers out there.

For the money I'll spend on a second mixer, I might as well just keep the Producer if I'm going to be limited to 16 channels anyway and keep all the features I already have.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 08:22:42 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2019, 08:15:19 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.