ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid sized system  (Read 7968 times)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Mid sized system
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »

Is crossing renting a concern? 
This space for rent

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 03:07:23 PM »

Is crossing renting a concern?
no... not likely... or not likely enough to be any sort of consideration.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 03:57:08 PM by W. Mark Hellinger »

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 03:12:38 PM »

Just my 2 cents... I'm currently running a small SRX800 powered SOS rig, and my summer concert series gets up to 500-600 people. It's not concert levels, but everyone loves it.

If and when I do a PA upgrade I'm seriously looking at the JTR option - 3TX tops with 60x90 horns and the Orbit Shifters. The tops are 50 lbs. I've never heard the system but like you, I'd be relying on this forum for the recommendation. If not, I plan on just doubling my subs from (2) 18's to (4) 18's and calling it done.

One thing I've learned from this forum is there's not a lot of love for the VRX!

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 12:33:08 AM »

You folks have certainly given me some food for thought.  With that I'm doing a lot of reconsidering and research.  It seems at this time a point source system seems the way to go to yield the results that would justify upgrading from what I'm currently running.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 02:40:00 PM »

You folks have certainly given me some food for thought.  With that I'm doing a lot of reconsidering and research.  It seems at this time a point source system seems the way to go to yield the results that would justify upgrading from what I'm currently running.

Checkout the Danley FB group 'DSLUG' for some first-hand comparisons to vrx and big shows with SM80 while you're doing your research. Also a fun community :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »

I have three small-medium sized systems that I feel can cover most of the shows you are talking about:
4 Danley TH-118, 2 SH-69, 1 DNA20k
2 JTR Orbit Shifters, 2 Noesis 3TX, Crown XTI600s, Powersoft K10
2 Yamaha DSR112, 4 Yorkville LS801p
* I have used the Noesis 3TX with 8 Yorkville Subs and they were still only running about 75%
* The Yamaha tops would be good for 2-300
* Would need additional subs for larger/louder EDM/Bass shows. I will be adding more Danley/JTR
   subs at some point.

All three sound very clear with good bass. (The Yorkvilles don't go as low but are strong 60-90 hz.) The Danley & JTR rigs are a level above the Yamaha/Yorkville system.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »

An update:  So-far I've resigned myself to continuing (I guess I'll just stay married) with what I have for my small "band in a van" system... which is two stacks (or four stacks) of JBL SRX712M's over EAW SB-330 subs for FOH and 4ea. 712M's for monitors... all Peavey IPR powered.  For now anyway.  The system sounds ok... it's certainly heads above anything else commonly used in the area for the type of application.  It's very reliable (never an embarrassment out in public), versatile, sets-up and packs-up really quick and easy, low AC power requirement, there's minimal fussing about and it works well with baby sitters as well as has gotten to be "comfortable fit", and is cheap to keep.

However: The Nexo PS10-R2 & LS600 system has caught my eye.  It's been years since I've heard a Nexo system... I think it was a Nexo Alpha system, but I recall being really impressed with the punch and clarity for the seeming size.  The draw-backs are: The lack of availability in my area, the dependency, weight, and such involved with the processors or dedicated NXAPM's, and the price is some consideration.

I had the rare opportunity (via a guest bass player) to mix my little system over the Labor Day Weekend's performances, and got it sounding "arguably good".

So I don't know.

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 08:15:25 PM »

I have three small-medium sized systems that I feel can cover most of the shows you are talking about:
4 Danley TH-118, 2 SH-69, 1 DNA20k
2 JTR Orbit Shifters, 2 Noesis 3TX, Crown XTI600s, Powersoft K10
2 Yamaha DSR112, 4 Yorkville LS801p
* I have used the Noesis 3TX with 8 Yorkville Subs and they were still only running about 75%
* The Yamaha tops would be good for 2-300
* Would need additional subs for larger/louder EDM/Bass shows. I will be adding more Danley/JTR
   subs at some point.

All three sound very clear with good bass. (The Yorkvilles don't go as low but are strong 60-90 hz.) The Danley & JTR rigs are a level above the Yamaha/Yorkville system.

I have read about the 3TX a lot on this forum. The setup you mentionedusing 8 L800 subs is almost like the setup I have been using during Carnival parades.

I use four pogee 3x3 tops and 8 L800 powered subs, this to cover 1000 people, using 4 3T instead of the ( Heavy Apogee 3X3, what will I ack or not ( besides weight) ?

In other wordscan I replace 4 Apogee 3x3 with 4 3Tx

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 08:37:40 PM »

An update:  So-far I've resigned myself to continuing (I guess I'll just stay married) with what I have for my small "band in a van" system... which is two stacks (or four stacks) of JBL SRX712M's over EAW SB-330 subs for FOH and 4ea. 712M's for monitors... all Peavey IPR powered.  For now anyway.  The system sounds ok... it's certainly heads above anything else commonly used in the area for the type of application.  It's very reliable (never an embarrassment out in public), versatile, sets-up and packs-up really quick and easy, low AC power requirement, there's minimal fussing about and it works well with baby sitters as well as has gotten to be "comfortable fit", and is cheap to keep.

However: The Nexo PS10-R2 & LS600 system has caught my eye.  It's been years since I've heard a Nexo system... I think it was a Nexo Alpha system, but I recall being really impressed with the punch and clarity for the seeming size.  The draw-backs are: The lack of availability in my area, the dependency, weight, and such involved with the processors or dedicated NXAPM's, and the price is some consideration.

I had the rare opportunity (via a guest bass player) to mix my little system over the Labor Day Weekend's performances, and got it sounding "arguably good".

So I don't know.

If most of the gigs you do have decent power dump those IPR7.5's and,get Lab Gruppen fp6400.  You will think you got new subs.  I tried so hard to like the IPR's they suck.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2019, 10:44:04 AM »

As others have said, a pair of SM80(or SM80m for more versatility and a bit more low end if using solo on stands) and a pair of TH118(or two pair for a more ideal match up) is a surprisingly impressive small rig.

Add a pair of Duratruss crank stands, some speaker tilters, and go!

I was just at an outdoor gig with mine, acoustic music, bit of a breeze, but was barely ticking over for a few hundred folks as far as 200' out and had no trouble hitting a comfortable sound level, and the clarity held up really well.  At one point, I had to crank a track off a smart phone for a dressage demonstration where the riding area's closest distance was 75' away from my house left speaker.  No problem with anyone hearing that...

Best regards,

John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2019, 10:44:04 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.