ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid sized system  (Read 7970 times)

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
Re: Mid sized system
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 10:54:19 AM »

I'm in the market for a new front of house speaker system.  I'm thinking JBL VRX932LAP / VRX918SP.  In the past couple of years I've picked up "quite a few" accounts for annual events:  small county fairs, town festivals, and similar in the area.  I'm dealing with mostly local & regional acts, with the occasional national level act (who understands (eventually) they're playing for a small community event in "fly-over country".  Audience size is generally functionally "a couple hundred" - 1000 (max).  I figure a 932 system is widely known/acceptable as "ok"/suitable for the application, easy two-person set-up, somewhat scale-able, fairly versatile, good cost/benefit ratio, etc...  My question is there an obvious better choice, or is the 932 system a-ok/fine?  Cost effective a-ok/fine is all that's needed.  I figure on initially purchasing 8ea. 932's and 4ea. 918's.

Hi Mark!

Great to see you back on the Forum!  I agree with everything said so far in this thread.  The VRX boxes are pretty harsh to deal with--also, deploying 4/side would become a bit cumbersome without flying.  The DSL SM80, SH46, SH96 boxes are really good for these types of events.  I would also consider Fulcrum FA22AC and JTR 3TX.  One final contender to throw in the mix, the RCF TTL6A.  I have a customer that uses the RCF's flown from lifts with excellent results.  The SM80, 3TX, and FA22AC could all easily be put on a heavy duty crank stand and elevated to 10+ feet--this makes deployment SUPER easy.  I labored for years dealing with stacking speakers on scaffold or flying speakers from scaffold--it's a tremendous amount of work for these type of events. 

Please let me know if I can help further.

Thank you,

Jeff

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »

Hi Mark!

Great to see you back on the Forum!  I agree with everything said so far in this thread.  The VRX boxes are pretty harsh to deal with--also, deploying 4/side would become a bit cumbersome without flying.  The DSL SM80, SH46, SH96 boxes are really good for these types of events.  I would also consider Fulcrum FA22AC and JTR 3TX.  One final contender to throw in the mix, the RCF TTL6A.  I have a customer that uses the RCF's flown from lifts with excellent results.  The SM80, 3TX, and FA22AC could all easily be put on a heavy duty crank stand and elevated to 10+ feet--this makes deployment SUPER easy.  I labored for years dealing with stacking speakers on scaffold or flying speakers from scaffold--it's a tremendous amount of work for these type of events. 

Please let me know if I can help further.

Thank you,

Jeff
Thanks Jeff for the specific recommendations.  You folks have me reconsidering.  I like the 932's for the seeming ease of use and no-brainer (employee friendly) operation, as well as cost, availability, commonality & general acceptance, etc...  I guess most everything is a compromise solution... and the only seeming down-side to the 932's is compromised performance.  (everything is a-ok, fine except for "that")

What we currently have and have been using for about 20 years works fine... but it's a big, heavy, sledgehammer that requires a crew of more than 2, and definitely a crew of more than 1... which is becoming the single biggest factor.  Actually "labor" is the single biggest factor.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 04:19:09 PM by W. Mark Hellinger »

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 04:09:29 PM »

From an audio quality stand-point, and from a practical set-up stand point, I think almost all the suggested alternatives are a better choice than the VRX.  A few of these are at the limits of a one-man set up.  I've been really impressed with the RCF TTL6, but at 117 lbs. you might need help. One other contender to consider would be 2 per side of the DB Technologies IG3 or IG4 in their inverted stacked & coupled configuration.  Very much a one man carry/lift and reasonably priced.  Like others, I don't think I've ever heard a VRX 932 system that I liked and I'm surprised it is generally accepted (or tolerated).

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 05:15:09 PM »

I can second the dbTech IG3s we've got 4 and they are impressive for their size and cost, db Tech also sell a single 18 sub model DVA1518 which matches these very well.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 07:40:25 PM »

Another option I would demo is TW Audio T24N tops, Danley TH118XL subs, and Powersoft DSP amps.  Single person setup and can cover a surprisingly large area.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 08:02:35 PM »

Another option I would demo is TW Audio T24N tops, Danley TH118XL subs, and Powersoft DSP amps.  Single person setup and can cover a surprisingly large area.
Demo-ing is rather out of the realistic realm of possibilities... short of going to Namm or some such thing.  The good-ole LAB (here) is likely as close as I'll get to demo-ing.  "Some" consider where I live is in the middle of nowhere... which... depending on one's perspective is arguably fairly close to the mark (we can see the middle of nowhere from our front porch).

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »

A few have chimed in so I will to. I have 2 of the DB Ingenia IG4T's and 2 subs. Light, great sound and I've done the 300 to 350 people shows with ease. Doubled up with enough subs I've heard nothing but good reviews on them. Its worth taking a good look at them.

Douglas R. Allen

John Rendell

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 10:40:25 PM »

I owned 6 VRX932 LAPS and 8 VRX918 LAPS. I bought it with my eyes and the JBL name as well as the ability to cross rent them with another provider.

Could not wait to get rid of them.

If I get another PA it will be Danley.

John Schalk

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 08:57:43 AM »

I'll throw in my $0.02 which is to second several of the points that have already been made.  Firstly, if you're not going to be flying the speakers, I can't see any reason to choose VRX when there are so many better sounding ground stack or pole mountable options available today.  Second, VRX is 10+ year old design, so unless you're getting a deal on a used system, I think you should look at some newer products.  Third, while I don't own any of the dbTech Ingenia speakers, I've spent some time modeling the response in Ease Focus and I'd encourage you to look at a couple of the YouTube videos that demonstrate how well they are designed for stacking and coupling.  Light enough for one person too.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »

Danley SM80 & TH118 & DNA will easily beat that in sound quality, same SPL, close in price.

The only thing is rider acceptance and people hearing with their eyes.

This system will easily do what you need.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.