ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid sized system  (Read 8063 times)

W. Mark Hellinger

Mid sized system
« on: August 08, 2019, 10:49:50 AM »

I'm in the market for a new front of house speaker system.  I'm thinking JBL VRX932LAP / VRX918SP.  In the past couple of years I've picked up "quite a few" accounts for annual events:  small county fairs, town festivals, and similar in the area.  I'm dealing with mostly local & regional acts, with the occasional national level act (who understands (eventually) they're playing for a small community event in "fly-over country".  Audience size is generally functionally "a couple hundred" - 1000 (max).  I figure a 932 system is widely known/acceptable as "ok"/suitable for the application, easy two-person set-up, somewhat scale-able, fairly versatile, good cost/benefit ratio, etc...  My question is there an obvious better choice, or is the 932 system a-ok/fine?  Cost effective a-ok/fine is all that's needed.  I figure on initially purchasing 8ea. 932's and 4ea. 918's.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Mid sized system
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 11:00:54 AM »

I'm in the market for a new front of house speaker system.  I'm thinking JBL VRX932LAP / VRX918SP.  In the past couple of years I've picked up "quite a few" accounts for annual events:  small county fairs, town festivals, and similar in the area.  I'm dealing with mostly local & regional acts, with the occasional national level act (who understands (eventually) they're playing for a small community event in "fly-over country".  Audience size is generally functionally "a couple hundred" - 1000 (max).  I figure a 932 system is widely known/acceptable as "ok"/suitable for the application, easy two-person set-up, somewhat scale-able, fairly versatile, good cost/benefit ratio, etc...  My question is there an obvious better choice, or is the 932 system a-ok/fine?  Cost effective a-ok/fine is all that's needed.  I figure on initially purchasing 8ea. 932's and 4ea. 918's.

Danley SM80 & TH118 & DNA will easily beat that in sound quality, same SPL, close in price.

The only thing is rider acceptance and people hearing with their eyes.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Taylor Hall

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 11:09:19 AM »

For that price point you could also look at the RCF HDL10, EAW RSX208L, various Nexo offerings, etc etc, if you're dead set on arrays. Otherwise like Nathan said, there are several point source options that would perform equally well like Danley, RCF, Fulcrum and JTR.

The VRX line is generally put in the "If I have to mix on it, so be it" category around here, and if you're using the passive versions then by god you had better be using amps/processing capable of utilizing the latest factory presets and not futz with them. Period. Additionally, the single-angle nature of the cabinets makes them less versatile in deployment options (and proper coverage) where a cabinet with a full range of angles would be able to adapt to near-endless use cases.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Mal Brown

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »

One other small consideration...  flying a system has a real impact on the cos of liability insurance. Looks cool...  comes at a price. In my neck of the woods, the Genie lift crowd is mostly not disclosing that to their carrier or they don’t  have one...

I live in a high wind environment for most of the year and ground stacking is the only way to ...ah, fly here. (the genie lift crowd here are crazy in my humble opinion)

We did around 1500 folks last Saturday.  Subs under bakers scaffold (which I really need to paint black) tops above at 4 feet.  Tops are 40x60, 3 per side, deisgned to splay array.  It sounds like your gigs and mine are quite similar.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 02:08:56 PM »

One other small consideration...  flying a system has a real impact on the cos of liability insurance. Looks cool...  comes at a price. In my neck of the woods, the Genie lift crowd is mostly not disclosing that to their carrier or they don’t  have one...

I live in a high wind environment for most of the year and ground stacking is the only way to ...ah, fly here. (the genie lift crowd here are crazy in my humble opinion)

We did around 1500 folks last Saturday.  Subs under bakers scaffold (which I really need to paint black) tops above at 4 feet.  Tops are 40x60, 3 per side, deisgned to splay array.  It sounds like your gigs and mine are quite similar.
I envision we'll generally be ground stacking... 2 - 3 mid-highs (932's) per side.  There will be "some" (a few) events were a load bearing roof/truss may be available where flying may be an option, but I'm not going to count on it.

Most of the events we're picking up are from where a local college left-off (as the school's new administration has seemingly decided to discontinue the school's long-standing off-campus/regional entertainment business/"public service").  The college has been using a 932/918 system for a number of years, and it's been reportedly well received as "fine" (depending on which student was at the board) according to the various event organizers we've been dealing with.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 02:16:20 PM »

The VRX line is generally put in the "If I have to mix on it, so be it" category around here, and if you're using the passive versions then by god you had better be using amps/processing capable of utilizing the latest factory presets and not futz with them. Period.
I figure on going with the active models:  VRX932LAP & VRX918SP, which if I understand correctly comes with on-board DSP... which is set by the factory... can't be noodled with... just plug and play and what it is, is what it is.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 04:24:32 PM »

The VRX line is generally put in the "If I have to mix on it, so be it" category around here, and if you're using the passive versions then by god you had better be using amps/processing capable of utilizing the latest factory presets and not futz with them. Period. Additionally, the single-angle nature of the cabinets makes them less versatile in deployment options (and proper coverage) where a cabinet with a full range of angles would be able to adapt to near-endless use cases.

I agree.

As I recall, I've only heard one VRX932 system that left me saying; "Hey, that sounded pretty good!".  It was in a Church Installation and credit to the folks who installed it and were running it.

More often than not, they've sounded harsh to me. Surprised the heck out of me when the "new Turbosound" copy came out - but the wisdom of that whole thing is another conversation.

I would take a serious look at RCF in the same general price range. Unless there are local market conditions that favor the VRX.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 04:26:35 PM »

I envision we'll generally be ground stacking... 2 - 3 mid-highs (932's) per side.  There will be "some" (a few) events were a load bearing roof/truss may be available where flying may be an option, but I'm not going to count on it.

Most of the events we're picking up are from where a local college left-off (as the school's new administration has seemingly decided to discontinue the school's long-standing off-campus/regional entertainment business/"public service").  The college has been using a 932/918 system for a number of years, and it's been reportedly well received as "fine" (depending on which student was at the board) according to the various event organizers we've been dealing with.

Fine is what they are on there best day.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 09:28:01 PM »

The college has been using a 932/918 system for a number of years,

Hi Mark!  It's good to see your name on here again. 

Are they perchance selling this system since they will now have no need for it? 
If this system is available used for a very good price then it might be a good move, particularly since you know it meets the expectations.  But I would suggest that you look for a different brand/model if you're planning to buy new.  Not only are most of us underwhelmed by it acoustically, but it's kind of long in the tooth now (as much as I hate to realize how many years have passed - I just blinked and now it's 10 years later!). 

Lastly, I generally wouldn't recommend a vertically articulated array if the majority of your gigs are ground stack.  For the same kind of money I think you could get a pair of Danley SH96HO and a nice amp.  Although it's a very different form factor, it should be pretty easy to hand truck into position on a typical outdoor stage.   And it's in another league as far as sound quality, not to mention being able to handle larger crowds when necessary. 

Now, if you need a SOS system, then that's a different story.   
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 10:51:07 PM »

Love my new SM80 / TH118 rig.
Looks are deceiving.  Punchy and articulate, but plenty loud.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 10:51:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.