ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: play records through microphone line  (Read 3764 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: play records through microphone line
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 03:49:56 AM »

Well thanks a bunch buddy! The next time I get a call from “Hi, this is Kristi at rewards center....”  I may utter your name in vain!   ;D ;D

Seriously, way cool on the hugely successful open source tool. My day job for the last half of my career evolved into software development and we went all open source — pure LAMP stack.  It really ticked off the vendors who wanted to rope us into their proprietary solutions.  That quite possibly has left me with an extra soft spot for David’s MixingStation efforts.

We are all LAMP too, even build our on RHEL, used to use CentOS until the license changes.  Latest updates has Maria DB and Galera cluster support.

You familiar with the project?   www.freepbx.org
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 01:20:14 PM »

We are all LAMP too, even build our on RHEL, used to use CentOS until the license changes.  Latest updates has Maria DB and Galera cluster support.

You familiar with the project?   www.freepbx.org
I’ve certainly heard of FreePBX but our problem set never had the need for the solution it offers. Yea I know at least for a while we rolled our own RedHat as well but, to be honest, as chief developer I moved away from system administration ten years ago and left that to others on our small team.  Then of course I retired 18 months ago after 32 years and haven’t even looked at a line of code since. I thought I’d miss it but not sitting and staring at three screens all day has had substantial health and fitness benefits for my aging carcass.

You still actively involved with FreePBX development or was that part of your pre sound-company-owner life?
..db

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 12:19:01 AM »

I’ve certainly heard of FreePBX but our problem set never had the need for the solution it offers. Yea I know at least for a while we rolled our own RedHat as well but, to be honest, as chief developer I moved away from system administration ten years ago and left that to others on our small team.  Then of course I retired 18 months ago after 32 years and haven’t even looked at a line of code since. I thought I’d miss it but not sitting and staring at three screens all day has had substantial health and fitness benefits for my aging carcass.

You still actively involved with FreePBX development or was that part of your pre sound-company-owner life?

I have been involved in various aspects of production since I was 12 years old but this is my first time trying to make any money at it.  It sorta spiraled out of control.  So both vocations overlapped.

I am not a developer, I needed a simple phone switch to serve pots lines over T1 and found Asterisk.  Mark Spencer, the original founder of the Asterisk project was also a pilot.  We hit it off, met Tony Lewis who had developers working on FreePBX which was at that time Asterisk@Home and the rest is history. 

My sysadmin and network skills putting our little ISP at the forefront of hosting FreePBX,  we grew like crazy over 8 years and Sangoma, who made PCI interface cards for Asterisk bought Schmooze, Tony's company and Micro Advantage, my company.   It still blows my mind that last year we acquired Digium, the Asterisk company. 

This is an oversimplification of the history.  I still work for Sangoma as Director of Network Engineering.  I think about retiring but then something fun comes along, like we just closed on acquiring VoIP Innovations a large SIP provider.  I enjoy the business development side of my role and the audio company is not a conflict of interest so it all plays well together at the moment.   I work with a great team of super smart folks, it keeps me young.  I also have a managing partner of the production company and a full time warehouse/shop manager so I don't need to be hands on and still get to run my pick of the litter of shows. 

I am diving deep into Docker currently,  containerization is the logical progression of virtualization.

Glad to here you are a Redhat shop, none of that evil Canonical stuff!

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »

I have been involved in various aspects of production since I was 12 years old but this is my first time trying to make any money at it.  It sorta spiraled out of control.  So both vocations overlapped.

I am not a developer, I needed a simple phone switch to serve pots lines over T1 and found Asterisk.  Mark Spencer, the original founder of the Asterisk project was also a pilot.  We hit it off, met Tony Lewis who had developers working on FreePBX which was at that time Asterisk@Home and the rest is history. 

My sysadmin and network skills putting our little ISP at the forefront of hosting FreePBX,  we grew like crazy over 8 years and Sangoma, who made PCI interface cards for Asterisk bought Schmooze, Tony's company and Micro Advantage, my company.   It still blows my mind that last year we acquired Digium, the Asterisk company. 

This is an oversimplification of the history.  I still work for Sangoma as Director of Network Engineering.  I think about retiring but then something fun comes along, like we just closed on acquiring VoIP Innovations a large SIP provider.  I enjoy the business development side of my role and the audio company is not a conflict of interest so it all plays well together at the moment.   I work with a great team of super smart folks, it keeps me young.  I also have a managing partner of the production company and a full time warehouse/shop manager so I don't need to be hands on and still get to run my pick of the litter of shows. 

I am diving deep into Docker currently,  containerization is the logical progression of virtualization.

Glad to here you are a Redhat shop, none of that evil Canonical stuff!
Interesting how life turns out huh? 

My “second attempt at college” degrees are in geology and I spent my entire professional career as a hydrologist for one Federal agency. However, in reality, my purely scientific career ended in January 1995 when the then office chief asked four of us to set our projects aside for a few weeks and “see if we could figure out how to put up a web page” — whatever that was.  Turns out Congress had changed hands the previous November and the insurgents zeroed out our agency’s budget as they had no idea what we did so it was time to raise our public visibility. It wasn’t that hard even back then to put up a basic static web page so we pressed on and looked to add/include something more interesting/challenging.  “I wonder if we can figure a way to put our satellite-telemetered stream-gage data online and keep it updated as new data arrive.”  Our primitive, hand-built, unfunded system went live that Valentine’s Day and hence began the self-taught journey of software development.  Almost immediately afterward neighboring states saw what we did and asked for our help to do likewise for them and so we ended up forming a sort of internal contracting arrangement eventually with 15-20 other states to help defray a part of our salaries.  Eventually (three years later) headquarters decided to fund a nationwide system and that continues today.

In reality, while we were philosophically drawn to the concept of an open-source solution, the fundamental reason we went that route was that originally we had no funds to do otherwise.  Now of course once it became a high-profile national system all of the big boys came knocking (riding in on their unicorns?) wanting us to adopt their nifty proprietary solutions every one of which would fulfill every one of our needs and dreams.  “Naw, if we ever run into something we cant do LAMP we’ll let you know.”

To your point above about still having fun with new challenges is worth noting.  While I have not for one nanosecond missed spending 40+ hours a week at my office (even if it was a corner office looking out at the Continental Divide fifteen miles to the west), I knew I would, and have, missed working on really difficult problems with a team of really smart and dedicated people.  Learning production and collaborating with performers to put on the best show possible goes a little way toward those ends (at least it rhymes) but I also greatly enjoy finally having the resources and above all time to indulge my curiosity in whatever way I see fit day to day.  Hey, I made it to 66 before doing so but can highly recommend retirement when the time is right.

PS. Related?  If you told me a year ago that I’d be on heart meds I’d have laughed my ass off. Not laughing now.
..db

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.