ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Kick drum mic mounts...  (Read 11313 times)

Laurence Nefzger

• Kirkland, WA USA
Re: Kick drum mic mounts...
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2019, 01:20:07 PM »

Only a slight swerve, I hope you don't mind Debbie.

What about PZM microphones, anyone using one? They would appear convenient for kick drums with a hole and a blanket?

Thanks Dave
The Shure SM91C is my first and often only choice when I have a kick with a hole. A popular choice by touring acts is the SM91 on the inside and a Beta 52 outside but I have rarely found a case where I could not get what I wanted from simply the SM91 on the inside. Using a single mic eliminates a whole host of potential phase issue created by having two mics on the same source.

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2019, 04:04:06 PM »

I use one of these bases:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/12649

with one of these booms:

https://on-stage.com/products/view/12659

That lets me put the mic inside the shell where I like it without the other end of the boom sticking out where the singer can kick it. It also works for placement at the hole in the head.

I'll probably get the non-telescoping version of the boom since this one's longer than necessary.

[Edit] Photo added.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:50:06 PM by Patrick Tracy »

Chris Doyle

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2019, 01:06:32 PM »

I use the Kelly Shu system in one of my kick drums.  On all of my other kick drums I use the K&M 24035 Bass Drum Microphone Holder.  It allows me to get the mic into the port hole and there's no stand to take up stage space or get kicked out of place.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 10:28:46 PM »

This isn't the best photo, especially since there's an empty stand blocking the view and the pic is a few years old now, but here's what I use in come circumstances. This entire drum kit is fully miked up without using a single mic stand. This is using a D6 on kick, I'm not sure how well it would work with a 52 or other heavier mics.

These are gooseneck mounts I made with slightly modified Gibralter SC-DMM clamps and Loc-Line components along with some 3/8" flange bolts and nuts. I think my total cost per unit was somewhere around $12. It's basically a blatant copy of the Stage Ninja clamp, just with a different (and better for my purposes) mount and a price I could tolerate.

FWIW, as great as these work on drums, they're also amazing for miking some orchestral instruments, especially clarinet, oboe, and English horn, and sometimes cello and bass.

Brian.... which size Loc Line did you use, what did you use to attach it to the 5/8" thread on the clamp and what part did the 3/8" flange bolt play?.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2019, 11:52:34 PM »

Brian.... which size Loc Line did you use, what did you use to attach it to the 5/8" thread on the clamp and what part did the 3/8" flange bolt play?.

I had to look back at what I ordered, but it's 3/4' Loc-Line, same as the Stage Ninja (I believe). I used the 3/8" flange bolts (1" length, I think) and flange nuts on the mic end of the assembly. The bolt inside and the nut outside. The flanges are just big enough to grip either side of the interior of a Loc-Line link, and they're easy to put together and center up nicely, unlike if you used regular bolts and washers. Then a standard 3/8 to 5/8 mic thread adapter for the clip, the ones that are about 1/2" long work great but shorter ones work fine too. I could get a pic sometime if you're really curious.

The other end is easy, you just get the Loc-Line fixed mount, which has a hole in the bottom that you can bolt to just about anything (including the Gibraltar clamps I use). I removed the 5/8" threaded part of the Gibraltar clamp and bolted the Loc-Line directly to it. If I remember right, it's mounted with 1/4" hardware, and regular hex bolts and nuts fit perfectly.

I made a couple of these with a female 5/8" thread instead of the fixed mount, but I'm not remembering exactly how I did it. Definitely with a standard 5/8 to 3/8 adapter, maybe with a T-nut on the inside. I'll see if I can track one down and find out. I don't use those very often, or ever, really.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »

I had to look back at what I ordered, but it's 3/4' Loc-Line, same as the Stage Ninja (I believe). I used the 3/8" flange bolts (1" length, I think) and flange nuts on the mic end of the assembly. The bolt inside and the nut outside. The flanges are just big enough to grip either side of the interior of a Loc-Line link, and they're easy to put together and center up nicely, unlike if you used regular bolts and washers. Then a standard 3/8 to 5/8 mic thread adapter for the clip, the ones that are about 1/2" long work great but shorter ones work fine too. I could get a pic sometime if you're really curious.

The other end is easy, you just get the Loc-Line fixed mount, which has a hole in the bottom that you can bolt to just about anything (including the Gibraltar clamps I use). I removed the 5/8" threaded part of the Gibraltar clamp and bolted the Loc-Line directly to it. If I remember right, it's mounted with 1/4" hardware, and regular hex bolts and nuts fit perfectly.

I made a couple of these with a female 5/8" thread instead of the fixed mount, but I'm not remembering exactly how I did it. Definitely with a standard 5/8 to 3/8 adapter, maybe with a T-nut on the inside. I'll see if I can track one down and find out. I don't use those very often, or ever, really.

Thanks Brian. I grabbed a couple of 'crab claw' type clamps pretty cheap and they have 1/4" and 3/8" inserts in them so I was going to maybe try the Loc-Line method instead of using goosenecks.
If you have any close up pics , please post ....good idea - so much cheaper than the brand name version.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 10:18:25 PM »

Thanks Brian. I grabbed a couple of 'crab claw' type clamps pretty cheap and they have 1/4" and 3/8" inserts in them so I was going to maybe try the Loc-Line method instead of using goosenecks.
If you have any close up pics , please post ....good idea - so much cheaper than the brand name version.

Hey Debbie,

I finally had a chance to pull out some Loc-Line parts and hardware, everything needed to build one of my goosenecks. Based on my estimate each gooseneck can be built for under $15, although the exact price would depend on the quantity of parts purchased. They're very easy to put together, I'd say less than 5 minutes for each one.

I've attached some (not amazing) pics of things, let me know if you need a better description of anything.

Parts needed:
Gibraltar SC-DMM drum clamp with mic thread removed
1/4"-20 x 1" machine screw
1/4" flat washer
1/4" Nylock nut
3/4" Loc-Line fixed mount
3/4" Loc-Line (quantity depends on length)
3/8"-16 x 1" large flange bolt
3/8"-16 large flange nut
3/8" - 5/8" mic thread adapter
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 10:56:56 PM »

Hey Debbie,

I finally had a chance to pull out some Loc-Line parts and hardware, everything needed to build one of my goosenecks. Based on my estimate each gooseneck can be built for under $15, although the exact price would depend on the quantity of parts purchased. They're very easy to put together, I'd say less than 5 minutes for each one.

I've attached some (not amazing) pics of things, let me know if you need a better description of anything.

Parts needed:
Gibraltar SC-DMM drum clamp with mic thread removed
1/4"-20 x 1" machine screw
1/4" flat washer
1/4" Nylock nut
3/4" Loc-Line fixed mount
3/4" Loc-Line (quantity depends on length)
3/8"-16 x 1" large flange bolt
3/8"-16 large flange nut
3/8" - 5/8" mic thread adapter

Thanks Brian. I did actually make a couple of gooseneck mic clamps myself.
I had  already purchased the crab claw style clamps, I was able to find the bolt/washer hardware in my tool box and purchased the LocLine pieces on eBay which was the cheapest I could find. 
I had a problem with the mic end holding tight so I purchased jam nuts and used longer bolts, getting them nice and tight before adding the mic thread adaptor -they now work great. Thank you for the idea.
I believe mine cost me $18 each.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2019, 07:52:35 AM »

I have something like this, but older and a bit more robust, which I paid £5 for.

Steve.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »

I have something like this, but older and a bit more robust, which I paid £5 for.

Steve.

I have  a couple like  those too Steve and they get used a lot and are what I fall back on most times. I hate transporting cast bases though so being able to use a clip on can be handy depending on the situation.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2019, 12:54:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.