ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Kick drum mic mounts...  (Read 11545 times)

Mal Brown

Re: Kick drum mic mounts...
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »

This isn't the best photo, especially since there's an empty stand blocking the view and the pic is a few years old now, but here's what I use in come circumstances. This entire drum kit is fully miked up without using a single mic stand. This is using a D6 on kick, I'm not sure how well it would work with a 52 or other heavier mics.

These are gooseneck mounts I made with slightly modified Gibralter SC-DMM clamps and Loc-Line components along with some 3/8" flange bolts and nuts. I think my total cost per unit was somewhere around $12. It's basically a blatant copy of the Stage Ninja clamp, just with a different (and better for my purposes) mount and a price I could tolerate.

FWIW, as great as these work on drums, they're also amazing for miking some orchestral instruments, especially clarinet, oboe, and English horn, and sometimes cello and bass.

That is a sweet looking kit and a really cool mic setup!
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 03:26:45 PM »

Great suggestions everyone - thank you. I am no stranger to 'creating' something from piece parts which I have done many times so I will look into that option checking out all the hardware suggested here.
Brian, I actually own a Ninja clamp like the one you refer to but I never thought of clamping to the leg so although I considered it for this purpose, I figured because the grip is so tight, it would damage the hoop. I'll try that at rehearsal - thanks.
Steven, I placed the mic inside the drum the last 2 shows - the drummer has a piece of foam inside - and I agree it is a reasonably good solution. However the drummer feels that we get a little too much  beater sound so I'd like to get it farther back.
The considerations here are: cost, ease of setup/tear down, stability and prevention of damage to drums.

Hi Debbie,

Give your Stage Ninja a shot. It's an easy solution if it works. Or you could modify your Stage Ninja to be like mine by replacing the spring clamp with a Gibraltar clamp. The same mounting hardware might even work.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 07:12:39 PM »

Hi Debbie,

Give your Stage Ninja a shot. It's an easy solution if it works. Or you could modify your Stage Ninja to be like mine by replacing the spring clamp with a Gibraltar clamp. The same mounting hardware might even work.

Getting the parts separately as you did seems much cheaper - The Stage Ninja clamps are not cheap. I'd prefer a Gibralter style  clamp over the spring clip probably but I don't want to "Frankenstein' the one I have - I'll look at getting the parts you did perhaps. However, I'll try it as is and see if it does the trick - Thanks Brian...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 10:10:56 PM »

Debbie, I combine a 10" Altas base, a short adjustable shaft (Atlas desk mic stand) and a K&M 21110 boom.  Atlas has the "DMS7-E" (ebony) that comes with the big base and short stem.  The K&M boom is the same as used on the 210/9 mic stand. Fairly low profile all around.
Similar here:  10" Atlas base and a short (hacked off & re-threaded) adjustable shaft with a short tilt-telescoping boom arm.  I've made a number of these over the years (decades).

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 10:37:25 PM »

I use a desk stand with a hand weight plate on it and a Heil PR48 on the beater side right next to the pedal. Doesn’t matter if drum has hole or not.

Rob Spence, you are my hero
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »

What do you use?

Some of the shows we play or run sound at have quite small 'stage' areas. This can make it a tight fit in front of the kick drum for the singer.
I find if I use a shorty boom stand, the tripod legs seem to 'get in the way'  and someone - usually the singer will kick a leg and move the mic or worse. If I use a straight shorty stand with a small but heavy cast base, it is far more discreet but inevitably doesn't go down far enough if the hole is cut low in the head.
I want to get a mount that attaches to the drum itself. I realize some drummers might not like this idea and I can accommodate them with a stand instead.
I see a few options out there - not as many as I would have thought - but I'd like feedback on which ones simply work, stay put and don't cause damage to the drum hoop.

I used to have the same issue and switched something that looks like this (definitely not this brand though, mine is much heavier and currently buried in my trailer) and have never had any issues if it is placed parallel to the drum head even with no hole. Crash or ride cymbal usually keeps players far enough away that they can't accidentally move it. Mounting on the drum itself seems like a lot of potential headache, especially not knowing what kind of rim you may encounter in the wild.

https://www.amazon.com/Stage-Rocker-Powered-Hamilton-SR610111/dp/B0087UPXH0
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:28:09 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

John Schalk

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 09:17:04 AM »

The drummer for the band I work with regularly uses a rack instead of stands and we've mounted the kick mic holder to the rack.  There is a hole in the front head and the D6 fits about 2/3rds of the way inside inside the drum.  I feel like I get a more "solid" kick sound with this setup versus having the D6 mounted on a short boom.  My inexpert thinking on this is that the greater mass of the drum rack provides a more stable base for the kick mic so I get less resonance from the floor back up through the stand.

The backup drummer for this band has a 22" bass drum with one of those springy mic mounts holding a D6 inside.  I really liked the sound of that too.  I can definitely relate to Debbie's desire to find a better solution than the traditional short tripod & boom.

Rick Earl

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2019, 12:05:36 PM »

Getting the parts separately as you did seems much cheaper

If you really want to spend some money - There is always Triad-Orbit.
https://www.triad-orbit.com/shop-to/
Expensive, but modular and rock-solid.

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2019, 12:24:50 PM »

Only a slight swerve, I hope you don't mind Debbie.

What about PZM microphones, anyone using one? They would appear convenient for kick drums with a hole and a blanket?

Thanks Dave

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »

Only a slight swerve, I hope you don't mind Debbie.

What about PZM microphones, anyone using one? They would appear convenient for kick drums with a hole and a blanket?

Thanks Dave

That's usually my first choice (Senny e901) if there's a hole in the head.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.