ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Kick drum mic mounts...  (Read 11555 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Kick drum mic mounts...
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 02:16:58 AM »

I use a desk stand with a hand weight plate on it and a Heil PR48 on the beater side right next to the pedal. Doesn’t matter if drum has hole or not.

Rob, I can't visualize this setup.  Next time you use this config would you mind sharing a pic?

Thank you
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 02:36:59 AM »

This is what I considered using, and now sharing with you as an option:  https://www.drumcenternh.com/dunnett-universal-bass-drum-mic-holder
The DW mount is the DWSM2141MA, which looks to provide more positioning options than the Dunnett mic holder, but at the cost of more weight.  You can see it here.

Mike Milkovitz

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 07:27:36 AM »

I've been using a K&M 25950 and I'm really happy with it.  It's small and HEAVY.  The legs are solid bar stock.  It rarely gets in the way and once it's set/tightened it stays put.
https://www.k-m.de/en/products/mic-stands/floor-stands/25950-microphone-stand-rien-black/25950-300-55?c=178

John Fruits

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »

I don't think of this as thinking outside the box, instead I consider it coloring outside the lines but, I am very fond of many of thelightsource.com products.
http://www.thelightsource.com/products/mega-folding-floor-stand-107
plus this:
http://www.thelightsource.com/products/atlas-mic-stand-adapter-168
Then add extenders to taste.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Rick Earl

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 09:16:31 AM »

Just a regular LP Mic Claw has worked for me.

I don't have a picture of it, but I also welded up an "L" shaped base out of  3/8" bar stock and drilled and threaded it for an Atlas desk stand.  One leg of the L would run parallel to the front of the drum, the other down the side, under the brace.   It worked great, so much so, that a drummer coming through bought it from me.  I need to make another.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 10:12:25 AM »

Rob, I can't visualize this setup.  Next time you use this config would you mind sharing a pic?

Thank you

The weight is a 2.5 lb disk from a free weight set. It slides down the shaft of an adjustable desk stand making the stand very stable. Add the PR48. It sits on the floor on the drummer side - a little negotiation needed sometimes - next to the kick pedal.
Gets the primary sound real well and no trip hazard for the front line folk.

Side note:
I don’t get why bands all seem to need the drums upstage center? They are most in the way for a center lead singer and the sound gets in the vocal mic. Also, with the other back line folk separated by the drums, they can’t hear each other or talk.

Best, easiest band I ever mixed had the drum kit up stage right and lead singer down stage left. No drums or cymbals making it hard to get clean vocals.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »

The weight is a 2.5 lb disk from a free weight set. It slides down the shaft of an adjustable desk stand making the stand very stable. Add the PR48. It sits on the floor on the drummer side - a little negotiation needed sometimes - next to the kick pedal.
Gets the primary sound real well and no trip hazard for the front line folk.

Side note:
I don’t get why bands all seem to need the drums upstage center? They are most in the way for a center lead singer and the sound gets in the vocal mic. Also, with the other back line folk separated by the drums, they can’t hear each other or talk.

Best, easiest band I ever mixed had the drum kit up stage right and lead singer down stage left. No drums or cymbals making it hard to get clean vocals.

Art school drop outs, slaves to symmetry. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »

Art school drop outs, slaves to symmetry. ;)
Well, that too  but it harkens back to Ye Olde record days, The Kick had to be centered lest the needle be kicked out of the track.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »

May not be "ideal" practice but in tight spaces where I needed to eliminate the stand and only had a D6, it worked surprisingly well just laying inside the drum on a pillow or towel. Of course this assumes a ported resonant head.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 12:04:25 PM »

Great suggestions everyone - thank you. I am no stranger to 'creating' something from piece parts which I have done many times so I will look into that option checking out all the hardware suggested here.
Brian, I actually own a Ninja clamp like the one you refer to but I never thought of clamping to the leg so although I considered it for this purpose, I figured because the grip is so tight, it would damage the hoop. I'll try that at rehearsal - thanks.
Steven, I placed the mic inside the drum the last 2 shows - the drummer has a piece of foam inside - and I agree it is a reasonably good solution. However the drummer feels that we get a little too much  beater sound so I'd like to get it farther back.
The considerations here are: cost, ease of setup/tear down, stability and prevention of damage to drums.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 12:04:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.