ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PLD4.5 vs PL380 on subs  (Read 12610 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: QSC PLD4.5 vs PL380 on subs
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 07:07:01 AM »

We have several of the PLD 4.2 amps (lowest wattage amps), which we use primarily for monitors and sometimes for FOH (for the smaller events).

Recently, I used a single PLD 4.2 with one of our SRX728 subs (1600 watts continuous).  All 4 channels of the amp were combined into one (configured to 1600 watts).  The amp did very well... it did not sound like it was struggling.  Even limited to 1600 watts, the bass/kick were always solid.  Though, the amp was sharing the same circuit with some of the event's "mood" lighting.  There were noticeable drops in voltage (from the dimming of the mood lights) when a heavy kick-drum presented itself.

The versatility of these PLD amps is great.  Recallable presets with full DSP.

justinmquinn

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 08:31:33 AM »

We have several of the PLD 4.2 amps (lowest wattage amps), which we use primarily for monitors and sometimes for FOH (for the smaller events).

Recently, I used a single PLD 4.2 with one of our SRX728 subs (1600 watts continuous).  All 4 channels of the amp were combined into one (configured to 1600 watts).  The amp did very well... it did not sound like it was struggling.  Even limited to 1600 watts, the bass/kick were always solid.  Though, the amp was sharing the same circuit with some of the event's "mood" lighting.  There were noticeable drops in voltage (from the dimming of the mood lights) when a heavy kick-drum presented itself.

The versatility of these PLD amps is great.  Recallable presets with full DSP.

Exactly why I think I may want to (also) pick one up for light duty stuff (fills monitors etc.)

Justin Quinn

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 09:33:59 AM »

I feel if I'm so close to the edge of using up available power from either amp, I probably need to be thinking more subs instead of more amp.
I don't think there's such a thing as "too much bass" but the SRX828s are holding me over for now.  I definitely like the SRX828s, they work great for the small and corporate events we currently handle, but they only get so loud so I'm with you on that.  Probably will get better sub boxes and run them off the PL380 when it's time to upgrade.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »

I've got a rack of PLD 4.5's.  The flexibility of the amplifiers is pretty awesome, as you can easily re-configure them for your needs.  My amp rack can be set as a 3 channel system if I want 4500 watts left, right and sub, or up to a 12 channel system if I want to use the amp rack as multiple monitor mixes.

I did have one unit recently give me a fan failure error when I was using it outside in 95 degree weather, however, by the time I got back to the shop, it was behaving again, so I'm not sure if it was just overheated, or cranky, or what the problem was.

One thing I do wish the amps had was ethernet control instead of USB control.  Using the software is very simple to configure and monitor the amps, but having to connect USB to do that is certainly less than convenient.

When I got the PLD 4.5's, they replaced PLX 3602's.  Into an 8 ohm load in 4 channel mode, the amps ran circles around the 3602's.  When in 4 ohm at 4 channels, they seemed pretty comparable, although I rarely used them in that configuration.

One thing I really noticed is that the PLD's weren't as sensitive to voltage drops as the 3602's were.  That was the primary reason for me to get rid of the 3602's.  If you had bad power and there was enough voltage sag, they would reset themselves.  Used in the same environments, I've yet to run into that issue with the PLD's, which makes me believe they are in a closer class to the PL380 amps for touring durability performance.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 01:30:12 PM »

I've got a rack of PLD 4.5's.  The flexibility of the amplifiers is pretty awesome, as you can easily re-configure them for your needs.  My amp rack can be set as a 3 channel system if I want 4500 watts left, right and sub, or up to a 12 channel system if I want to use the amp rack as multiple monitor mixes.

I did have one unit recently give me a fan failure error when I was using it outside in 95 degree weather, however, by the time I got back to the shop, it was behaving again, so I'm not sure if it was just overheated, or cranky, or what the problem was.

One thing I do wish the amps had was ethernet control instead of USB control.  Using the software is very simple to configure and monitor the amps, but having to connect USB to do that is certainly less than convenient.

When I got the PLD 4.5's, they replaced PLX 3602's.  Into an 8 ohm load in 4 channel mode, the amps ran circles around the 3602's.  When in 4 ohm at 4 channels, they seemed pretty comparable, although I rarely used them in that configuration.

One thing I really noticed is that the PLD's weren't as sensitive to voltage drops as the 3602's were.  That was the primary reason for me to get rid of the 3602's.  If you had bad power and there was enough voltage sag, they would reset themselves.  Used in the same environments, I've yet to run into that issue with the PLD's, which makes me believe they are in a closer class to the PL380 amps for touring durability performance.

There are many ways to extend USB over Ethernet.  The Easiest is a Raspberry Pi box for under $30.  You plug the USB into the Pi then run a little client on your Win or Mac box that is on the same network.

I use this solution for Crown XTI's

http://www.virtualhere.com/usb_server_software
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »

PLD's weren't as sensitive to voltage drops as the 3602's were.  That was the primary reason for me to get rid of the 3602's.

Retired my PLX3002's for the same reason.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 09:16:51 AM »

Been meaning to check this out. Looks like it should work for ancient serial-port control devices, too. And the server can be an obsolete Android phone or tablet from your junk drawer.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 01:55:19 PM »

There are many ways to extend USB over Ethernet.  The Easiest is a Raspberry Pi box for under $30.  You plug the USB into the Pi then run a little client on your Win or Mac box that is on the same network.

We have been doing this for a while now. The QSC software is temperamental when trying to maintain a connection to multiple amplifiers, it just doesn't do it reliably. It's not for real-time monitoring, just for setting up presets, etc.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 01:23:56 AM »

Yeah, I built the usb over Ethernet thing way back when the PLD amps first came out. At best, it sorta worked. Built in Ethernet would just be better in so many ways.
Brian Jojade

justinmquinn

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 09:05:30 AM »

Interesting comparison.  It should be expected for the 4.5s to outperform the pl380s in 8 ohms, they're rated quite a bit higher.

We use PLX amps on our main tops at the moment and have been very happy.  We have not yet experienced the resetting issue you mention although I have heard about it from others.  I would totally swap them for PLDs for the DSP and flexiblity but many class D amps I have heard on highs sound overly harsh, I was worried the PLDs would suffer the same issue so I have avoided them for tops.
Do you notice a harshness?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 09:05:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.