ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PLD4.5 vs PL380 on subs  (Read 12721 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: QSC PLD4.5 vs PL380 on subs
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2019, 02:20:22 PM »

I have no experience with these but Peavey is making bold claims saying their amp can do 2x3750 watts @ 2 ohms at under 15 pounds for $1,000.  Peavey isn't what it used to be so I would proceed with caution.

I don't doubt that Peavey will meet their specification, the question is "for what duration"?  That's probably why Scott doesn't like the way they perform on subs - I'm betting the amp goes into current limiting either because of insufficient current reservoir or the PSU is current-limited on the mains supply side.  His comment about them not doing 240v reflects that.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »

Does anyone here have experience as to how Peavey's IPR2 7500 would compare to these on sub duty?

I have the Crest variants of the 5.0 and 7.5.  Both went into permanent "ACL" error mode when stored in my warehouse.  It's not climate controlled, but it is tempered.  Note that no other piece of equipment similarly stored has ever hiccuped.

Never had a chance to push them hard, but would hesitate to recommend them for any duty based on the above.  To make matters worse, they're not even heavy enough to use as door stops!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2019, 09:53:06 AM »

I got rid of four of them and,replaced with Lab Grupen FP6400 .  huge difference.  The IPR's have no current reserve and they won't accept 240V

Not sure I follow - they absolutely will run on 240V supplies, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell them here in the UK (or in much of the rest of the world).

Not disagreeing that the Lab FP should be a better amplifier, all the same.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2019, 12:52:17 PM »

Not sure I follow - they absolutely will run on 240V supplies, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell them here in the UK (or in much of the rest of the world).

Not disagreeing that the Lab FP should be a better amplifier, all the same.

Not the US versions, and they are not convertible.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »

Not the US versions, and they are not convertible.

Plugged a US version into 240V power once.  Lots of magic smoke.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2019, 02:39:53 AM »

Plugged a US version into 240V power once.  Lots of magic smoke.

Me too,  the inlet connector made me think it had a wide voltage input.  Was sitting on couch with my wife, had run feeder up from the basement laundry room and was sitting on the couch with a little lunchbox distro on floor.  Unpacked the thing,  plugged it in and let all the smoke out.  The dog ran away and the wife was laughing hysterically before she asked how much that cost?

Shockingly Peavey fixed it for free!

I used four of them for 2 years with JBL STX-828S,  they didn't overwhelm but got the job done.  The FP-6400's are noticeably better.  Right now I am running them one channel per driver, I am going to try bridged that will take me from having 1300W available to each driver to 3200W.   I don't expect a huge difference but it is an 8000W peak speaker. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »

they didn't overwhelm but got the job done.

That's where I'm at with mine. I have a pair, each driving a 3TX over an Orbit Shifter. They replaced 4 bridged PLX3002s.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2019, 01:33:55 PM »

I'm using a pair of Crest Prolite 7.5's for my passive rig, which is two Danley SM80's and up to four JTR Orbit Shifters in 4-ohm. I drive two subs on one channel, and the top on the other channel of each amplifier to spread out the current across two separate 20A 120v circuits.  Processing at the moment is an EV DC-one.  I'd love a Danley SC48 or DNA20K4, or even a pair of Powersoft K10-DSP's, but I haven't yet come anywhere close to maxing out what I can do with my current amps/processing so I have been putting my capital into other upgrades first.  I figured I'd use them until they broke for their price, but so far I've been very impressed with the rig. Sorry for the slight topic swerve.

To relate back to the OP, I have not used the PL380 but I own a QSC PLD4.2 that I use for monitors and the interface/processing/form factor are extremely convenient.  The PL380 has a great reputation for subwoofer applications but you would need external processing which may or may not be important to you.  The downside with the PLD series is that the display screen is virtually useless on a sunny day and I wish they offered ethernet connectivity and not just USB.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Justin Quinn

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »

To relate back to the OP, I have not used the PL380 but I own a QSC PLD4.2 that I use for monitors and the interface/processing/form factor are extremely convenient.  The PL380 has a great reputation for subwoofer applications but you would need external processing which may or may not be important to you.  The downside with the PLD series is that the display screen is virtually useless on a sunny day and I wish they offered ethernet connectivity and not just USB.

Thank you for the input.  Processing is not an issue for us.  I got a PL380 since I wrote the original post and have taken it out a few times.  Both myself and my team members are impressed at how much boom this thing can put out before you hit the -10 lights.  In fact we had a lady approach me and say (and I quote) "there's too much boom boom".  Any amp that sends middle aged women complaining about "too much boom boom" is an amp worth owning.

We are still considering a PLD for mains/fills/monitors.  I, too, wish these amps had ethernet control.  I wish they had Dante too but oh well.  However I may hold off and swap our mains amps out for powersoft, the T series is an attractive relatively affordable package and/or you can get used K series for a decent price.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.