ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Access Support  (Read 5516 times)

Kevin J Williams

Remote Access Support
« on: August 04, 2019, 08:48:29 AM »

It's been a while since I've been on this forum and had forgotten what a wealth of knowledge resides here. Thanks to all for your input and willingness to share!

I'm getting ready to start a large project about three hours away and want to include a way to remotely login instead of drive three hours only to have to reboot a device. Just wanting to know what software you guys are using, what it costs, and what limitations does it have.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Remote Access Support
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 01:11:14 PM »

Teamviewer. Free for personal use. Only product I've tried that works over the internet and through regular firewalls. It's so good I haven't bothered to try anything else for many years, so maybe something else is out there that works too, but TV has never let me down.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 04:11:00 PM »

Teamviewer. Free for personal use. Only product I've tried that works over the internet and through regular firewalls. It's so good I haven't bothered to try anything else for many years, so maybe something else is out there that works too, but TV has never let me down.

Spent the last 5 years doing a LOT of remote access.  TeamViewer is still the bomb.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 06:41:12 PM »

Spent the last 5 years doing a LOT of remote access.  TeamViewer is still the bomb.

Teamviewer requires many services to be functional, DHCP, DNS etc.  What you need is a VPN to remotely connect the the network.  I recommend a VPN enabled router.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

brian maddox

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »

Teamviewer requires many services to be functional, DHCP, DNS etc.  What you need is a VPN to remotely connect the the network.  I recommend a VPN enabled router.

Given your level of expertise i'm sure this is true.  But...  Out in the real world i've had it work basically every time i've tried to use it in a VERY wide variety of situations all over the world and without having to carry any specific hardware with me.  I'm talking literally hundreds of times through phone hotspots and random airports WiFi with whatever computer i happened to have with me [and there were a LOT of different ones].  There may be other better solutions for someone with better IP skills than i have, but for the rest of us, it's a pretty good solution.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 07:08:09 PM »

Given your level of expertise i'm sure this is true.  But...  Out in the real world i've had it work basically every time i've tried to use it in a VERY wide variety of situations all over the world and without having to carry any specific hardware with me.  I'm talking literally hundreds of times through phone hotspots and random airports WiFi with whatever computer i happened to have with me [and there were a LOT of different ones].  There may be other better solutions for someone with better IP skills than i have, but for the rest of us, it's a pretty good solution.

Modern VPN's are very easy to setup, requiring no special skills.  No hardware is needed for remote access.  You can use almost any device, including a phone or a tablet.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

brian maddox

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 09:37:38 PM »

Modern VPN's are very easy to setup, requiring no special skills.  No hardware is needed for remote access.  You can use almost any device, including a phone or a tablet.

I've no doubt it requires no special skills.  But it does require knowledge i don't possess.  Could i gain that knowledge in probably just a few minutes of googling?  I'm sure i could.  The same company i used TeamViewer with for those years also used a Cisco Cloud based VPN that i ALSO used Many Many times doing all kinds of crazy things including mixing live shows from across the Atlantic, so i certainly know the value of a VPN.

Honestly, i'm not arguing with you.  TeamViewer is a "consumer level" product which is a blessing and a curse.  It's crazy easy to use, and also likely has significant flaws for a more experienced user.  I'm just sharing that i used it [reluctantly at first because it seemed just WAY too easy] for YEARS in a ridiculously varied number of situations and it just worked

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 11:48:24 PM »

I've no doubt it requires no special skills.  But it does require knowledge i don't possess.  Could i gain that knowledge in probably just a few minutes of googling?  I'm sure i could.  The same company i used TeamViewer with for those years also used a Cisco Cloud based VPN that i ALSO used Many Many times doing all kinds of crazy things including mixing live shows from across the Atlantic, so i certainly know the value of a VPN.

Honestly, i'm not arguing with you.  TeamViewer is a "consumer level" product which is a blessing and a curse.  It's crazy easy to use, and also likely has significant flaws for a more experienced user.  I'm just sharing that i used it [reluctantly at first because it seemed just WAY too easy] for YEARS in a ridiculously varied number of situations and it just worked.

I too am not being argumentative, I think the public debate is of pedagogical value to show the benefits and limitations of each solution. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 11:52:09 PM »

I ditched teamviewer for RemotePC this year.  It’s not as featured as teamviewer but it’s quite adequate and much cheaper.  I’ve been 100% satisfied.

Kevin J Williams

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 07:49:15 AM »

Sorry for my ignorance, but don't you need to set up a server to be the VPN host?

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »

Sorry for my ignorance, but don't you need to set up a server to be the VPN host?

No, most business class routers have VPN servers in them.  I have seen some sub $50.00 routers with OpenVPN in them like Microtik.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »

VPN absolutely has arguments in its favor.  I like being able to remote in and fire up x32 edit on my laptop to remote assist at my church when there are problems.  It works well because we’re both on high speed fiber from the same isp so latency is very low.

For more typical internet where latency through a VPN can be rather high you may find that you need to be running things on a local system.  I find that remotepc/teamviewer are just easier to work with in that scenario.  VPN takes more IT chops and you need to be in a position where you have access to the network router.  If you’re not doing the IT on the site then unless you’re tight with the IT department it’s often a big hassle to get VPN working.  A Remote Desktop service is quite easy in comparison.  Remember any Dante work will require your being local.  Of course you can use windows Remote Desktop over a VPN connection or OSX screen sharing etc.

Just make sure whatever you do that it’s OK with the client that you put a remote access portal on their network.

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 07:26:09 PM »

If security is also a priority then the consumer products mentioned here are relatively week. This is part of my "day job"

https://www.secomea.com

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 11:41:14 PM »

If security is also a priority then the consumer products mentioned here are relatively week. This is part of my "day job"

https://www.secomea.com

Mine too - Director of Network Engineering at Sangoma Technologies

Notice I said OpenVPN based so that makes it as good as OpenSSL from a security standpoint. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 11:41:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.