ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 - Getting dated or still a good idea?  (Read 15184 times)

John P. Farrell

Re: X32 - Getting dated or still a good idea?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 10:41:36 PM »

There are also rackmount mixers from other companies that might be considered...

The thing about the X32 is that EVERYONE knows how to use it.
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 11:49:42 PM »

There are also rackmount mixers from other companies that might be considered...

But, does anyone have something that is as feature rich as the X32?  It can be a standalone mixer - with controls.  It can be a stage box. It can be remotely controlled via an iPad.  It can be remotely controlled with physical faders over ethernet or wifi.  It can make coffee in the morning.  ok, well maybe not that, but it's a freaking awesome little box.

It would be nice if they would offer a Midas version with the cleaner sounding pre-amps, but for most purposes, it's good enough.

The only other major upgrades I'd like to see is eliminate the block of 8 routing limitation and add more channel capabilities, but other than that, it's pretty awesome for small to medium sized events.
Brian Jojade

Jon Brunskill

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 02:22:30 AM »

I'm the odd one out, but I really dislike the X32. I find it very difficult to use, and I don't like the sound or FX. I personal prefer the Soundcraft or A&H rackmount mixers. They aren't as flexible or as powerful as the X32 with all it's possible expansions and accessories, but I personally feel that they are easier to use and sound better.

Obviously that's my opinion only!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 03:52:44 AM »

I'm the odd one out, but I really dislike the X32. I find it very difficult to use, and I don't like the sound or FX. I personal prefer the Soundcraft or A&H rackmount mixers. They aren't as flexible or as powerful as the X32 with all it's possible expansions and accessories, but I personally feel that they are easier to use and sound better.

There are configuration aspects of the X/M32 that remain difficult to find or properly execute but I think that is proportional to the amount of time I spend on one, compared to the Avid Venue family I mix on most often.

But I remember when the Venue frustrated me, too, because I'd spent 4 years supporting &  mixing on Yamaha M7s and DM1000s; digging deep into the DM seemed easy at the time because the Yammy ecosystem was my home base.

To bring this back full circle, the other day I was poking a CL5 with a stick because the UI looked foreign to me...  a full Homer Simpson "doh!" moment.

Some of what makes the *32 a pain is baked in, like the 8 channel input *processing* block (a hardware rather than software limitation) and some is my crappy memory for configuring things I don't use every day.  I've found that using the Editor and the Mixing Station app provide access to most of what I can't find while using the console  :-[

The FX sound good enough, the reverbs don't make me cringe, the EQ and dynamic plugins take some time to experiment with but ultimately *do* work; that for the money the *32 simply provides more of things I use every time I mix than do the Soundcraft Si or A-H minimixers. 

Different users with different needs or priorities will have their own preferences.  It's a great time to be in audio, partly because we have choices from a bevy of sophisticated and useful mixers at previously unattainable low prices.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:54:46 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 05:12:17 AM »

From a value perspective, the *32 format is VERY hard to beat. It is the most full-blown mixer for the money you can get. It must have limitations or they would be giving away the farm. Its shortcomings are really not problematic if you plan well and are willing to bend on a couple of things. I have not come across a show yet where I couldn't get what I needed out of the *32 platform and I have been using them for years! Yes I have had to get creative, but I have had to fill every single hole of an analog mixer before to get what I needed too, so it is not just a *32 thing, that aspect of it is just easy to get hung up on. Plan ahead, think outside the box and accept that you have to move things around.

For instance, I have an X32R and I have run into shows where I had to literally fill every single input including the talkback to make it work, but it did!!! The limitation is not the tool, it's the user not planning ahead and being creative when needed.

The Mackie DL1608 is a pretty decent small-format digital mixer, however, if you feel you need to step up, the *32 line is an obvious choice and frankly at that price point, the only one.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Roland Clarke

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 05:33:29 AM »

I recently bought an X32 because it was at a silly price.  I also bought an S32, again for silly money.  I’ve used them so many times, because almost 1/2 the local theatre arts centres I do show in have them, so it made sense. 

I did a show 4 weeks ago outdoors with a KV2 rig and the sound was amazingly good.  I use Qu32 and various other low end desks and sound quality isn’t the Behringers problem.  I would agree that the FX are not the best, but they aren’t good on the A&H Qu.

The blocks of eight thing is mildly annoying, but at the price compromise has to be expected.  If you want good FX you really need to be using Yamaha or Avid or at least Waves SoundGrid (though I find that not a particularly elegant solution).

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 07:44:16 AM »

I feel i'm a little late to the party.  I've been using a Mackie DL1608 for years now, but looking for a bit of an upgrade.  As i look around, the X32 Rack fits my needs pretty well, but as i think about it, that platform is many years old.  My luck has always been that i'll invest in this, and the new generation will be released 3 months later :)

That all being said, whats the consensus on getting into this platform late 2019?  Any rumors on a new series coming?  Look at other vendors?

Thanks for any insight.  I did search, and i assume it's been a topic, but i couldn't find any good posts on it.

Thanks
-jim

Is there a feature the x32 currently doesn't have that you need bad enough that you're willing to hold out just to see if it's in a newer version?

Answer that question and you'll know what to do.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Steve Garris

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2019, 05:19:38 PM »

I feel i'm a little late to the party.  I've been using a Mackie DL1608 for years now, but looking for a bit of an upgrade.  As i look around, the X32 Rack fits my needs pretty well, but as i think about it, that platform is many years old.  My luck has always been that i'll invest in this, and the new generation will be released 3 months later :)

That all being said, whats the consensus on getting into this platform late 2019?  Any rumors on a new series coming?  Look at other vendors?

Thanks for any insight.  I did search, and i assume it's been a topic, but i couldn't find any good posts on it.

Thanks
-jim

Have you used an X32? The workflow and design is very different that the Mackie, and I personally cannot stand them. I do not believe the X_ products sound any better than my DL1608, and I've mixed shows through the same PA/room with both devices.

For me the logical upgrade was the Soundcraft Ui24. All reviews I've read are that it does sound better than the X_, and it has 4 very good effects engines. The software works much like the Mackie software. I plan on using it with a touchscreen laptop and iPads. I picked mine up new for $600 from ProAudioStar, where they are frequently on sale. Sadly I've been too busy to get mine implemented (router or access point required). YMMV.

John Schalk

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 07:00:13 PM »

For me the logical upgrade was the Soundcraft Ui24. All reviews I've read are that it does sound better than the X_, and it has 4 very good effects engines. The software works much like the Mackie software. I plan on using it with a touchscreen laptop and iPads. I picked mine up new for $600 from ProAudioStar, where they are frequently on sale. Sadly I've been too busy to get mine implemented (router or access point required). YMMV.
Thanks for the tip.  I recently sold my 01V96 and I've been looking at the Ui24 as its replacement for my backup mixer.  I like that the Ui24 has 20 mic inputs and the browser based control app.  A soundguy nearby has one, so I've been meaning to reach out to him to try the Ui24 out before I buy.

To answer the OP's question; I own a Performer 2 and mix regularly on an M32 and the feature set of the X/M 32 is much richer than the Soundcraft's.  An M32r with a DL32 stagebox can be had for a very reasonable price.  I'd say my most recent trend is for mixing more shows "on glass" owing to the fact that we racked up an M32 Core with our DL32 head amp at the start of the summer.  We did setup our full size M32 for the gig last night because, during my band's break, I had to operate the iPod for the Frank Sinatra singer. His tracks are all over the place so I'm constantly riding the faders plus I needed to be out front and right now my "on glass" iPod solution is to plug the thing into the head amp and press play at the start of the night.  I find it somewhat ironic that the reason I needed physical faders wasn't for a complex ensemble, but rather the simplest of "live" performances.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 08:04:23 PM »

I find it somewhat ironic that the reason I needed physical faders wasn't for a complex ensemble, but rather the simplest of "live" performances.

I make my living mixing very "simple" things [often no more than 3-4 mics at a time], but there is absolutely NO way i could do it on glass.  The reaction time [and precision] i need to be effective just can't be achieved without hands on faders.  But give me a band with 30+ inputs and i'd likely be just fine on an iPad [not happy but fine...].  Just a completely different animal....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 08:04:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.