ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to sync SR300 with SM100  (Read 2191 times)

Dave Guilford

How to sync SR300 with SM100
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:42:05 PM »

How do I sync these 2 units?

Sennheiser sr300 A band
Sennheiser sm100 A band

Both show same freq on screen (518.200).  I see the SR300 receiving input, but nothing on the SM100.

What am I missing?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: How to sync SR300 with SM100
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »

Sennheiser sr300 A band
Sennheiser sm100 A band

Both show same freq on screen (518.200).  I see the SR300 receiving input, but nothing on the SM100.

I think I remember having to do something with a pilot tone? Maybe tell the receiver to not look for it? Someone likely remembers the detail. I am old 😳
What am I missing?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »

Sennheiser sr300 A band
Sennheiser sm100 A band

What am I missing?

Have you defeated the pilot tone squelch on the receiving device? Which I'm assuming is an SK 100? My bad...thinking of the wrong end.
You should put the transmitter in mono mode as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 05:28:49 PM by John Sulek »

Dave Guilford

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 04:38:07 PM »

Have you defeated the pilot tone squelch on the receiving device? Which I'm assuming is an SK 100?
You should put the transmitter in mono mode as well.

Yes and thank you guys! I had to turn off the pilot Tone   

What is a pilot Toney? And why would it be on? Any reason that I would need to turn it back on ever?

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 05:27:30 PM »

Yes and thank you guys! I had to turn off the pilot Tone   

What is a pilot Toney? And why would it be on? Any reason that I would need to turn it back on ever?
Pilot tone is a sub or supra sonic tone transmitted along with the "normal" rf signal.
Pilot tone tells the squelch circuit on the receiver to open which allows audio output.
This helps prevent bursts of noise on the audio out of the receiver caused by unwanted rf signals that are strong and close enough in frequency, but not from the intended transmitter.
Think of it as a keyed noise gate.
This is a very simplistic explanation but hopefully conveys the idea.

Shure's "Selection and Operation of Wireless Microphone Systems" by Tim Vear is a great primer for all these topics. On their website.

It is enabled by default on most devices because disabling it in casual use can cause more problems than it solves for the less experienced.

You probably want to turn it back on if you stop using this gear for point to point applications.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 07:33:29 PM »

Pilot tone is a sub or supra sonic tone transmitted along with the "normal" rf signal.
Pilot tone tells the squelch circuit on the receiver to open which allows audio output.
This helps prevent bursts of noise on the audio out of the receiver caused by unwanted rf signals that are strong and close enough in frequency, but not from the intended transmitter.
Think of it as a keyed noise gate.
This is a very simplistic explanation but hopefully conveys the idea.

Shure's "Selection and Operation of Wireless Microphone Systems" by Tim Vear is a great primer for all these topics. On their website.

It is enabled by default on most devices because disabling it in casual use can cause more problems than it solves for the less experienced.

You probably want to turn it back on if you stop using this gear for point to point applications.

Super. That makes sense and I get it.  Presumably my sr300 doesn’t send a pilot tone, so the sm100 will never work with pilot activated.  Yes?

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 01:27:19 AM »

Super. That makes sense and I get it.  Presumably my sr300 doesn’t send a pilot tone, so the sm100 will never work with pilot activated.  Yes?

Close; strictly speaking the SR300 does send a pilot tone, but not in mono mode (and I believe even in stereo mode it's a different pilot tone than the EW 100 receivers use).

Since sending the wrong the pilot tone is as useful as sending no pilot tone, either way the rest of what you said about the the RX not working while it's expecting a pilot tone and not getting one is spot on.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 01:27:19 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.